Windows 10: Can't mount ISO''s with Windows Explorer anymore.

Discus and support Can't mount ISO''s with Windows Explorer anymore. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Please help. I used to be able to Mount ISO's with Windows Explorer but I can't anymore. When I right click an ISO and click mount I get an error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Nikorasu, May 12, 2017.

1. Nikorasu Win User

Can't mount ISO''s with Windows Explorer anymore.

Please help. I used to be able to Mount ISO's with Windows Explorer but I can't anymore. When I right click an ISO and click mount I get an error

Can't mount ISO''s with Windows Explorer anymore. [​IMG]

I don't know when the problem started either as I haven't mounted an ISO using Windows Explorer in awhile. I've been using Winrar. I changed the default app to open ISO's to Windows Explorer yet I still can't mount the ISO. it does it with every ISO I tried.

:)

Nikorasu, May 12, 2017
  2. Oregairu Win User

Updates keep reinstalling by themselves after i uninstall them...

Hello everyone.

Yesterday I updated my win10 and I got some new "security updates" aka KB4041691 and KB4033637. (it's not like I had any saying in this but whatever)

The issue is that thanks to those new updates I can't mount anymore iso images through windows explorer...simply..i can t open them and I get the following error : "make sure the file is in a ntfs volume and isn t in a compressed folder or volume".

I did some researching based on this kind of issue and I found that I have to uninstall those security updates. I uninstalled them, restarted my computer, everything was fine, I could once against mount my iso's so far so good. After a few hours those updates
    were once against downloaded and reinstalled and once against I can t mount any iso file.

I have to say that i'm using Windows 10 build 1607 and also my updates are disabled from msconfig.

Also...if I move any iso file on the other partition for example I can mount it w/o any problem but the thing is that I can't do this everytime for every iso especially to those that are above I don t know..30, 40, 50 gb or even more.

Thanks in advance for your answer and have a great day.

Oregairu, May 12, 2017
  3. mounting CD/DVDs in windows 10 not acting ike normal CD/DVD drive

Problem is not resolved.

I'm using Windows Explorer to mount ISO files. (Right click ISO, and choose MOUNT in File Explorer)

The file mounts as a drive letter in File Explorer, but does not auto-play (autorun.inf is COMPLETELY ignored on the image)

If I right-click the newly mounted drive letter, options for auto-play/autorun are missing (e.g. I do not get the option to run or install from media)

if I open the mounted drive, I can see, and copy all of the files. I can even run those that can be properly run from anywhere.

executables that require the CD to properly run (autorun.exe for example) either do not run, or error out.

I've tested the ISOs on other systems that use different apps to mount ISO files (an example is virtual CD) and the mounted ISO files worked without any issue, using the exact same ISO files. I can also insert the actual CD associated with said games/apps,
    and they work normally as well.

This appears to be a problem specific to Windows Explorer, and ISO files.

If you would like to continue helping me troubleshoot this, you have a limited window. I'm working on backing everything up that I can, and will be wiping the entire PC to perform a complete, fresh reinstall of Windows 10. This will probably be completed
    by the end of the week.

jasoncollege246, May 12, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

I just checked my File Explorer in the RTM Version 1607 Build 14393 and works fine after having made the association change some time ago. Could be when File Explorer has an issue opening things it is being prevented by an infection, I'd update the AntiVirus program and do a full/deep scan following by an AntiMalware such as Malwarebytes.

Berton, May 12, 2017
  5. Nikorasu Win User
    I don't have any viruses.

Nikorasu, May 12, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, May 12, 2017
  7. Nikorasu Win User
    Nikorasu, May 12, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 12, 2017
  9. Nikorasu Win User
    I did the default file association and I even downloaded the reg file but that didn't work.However, I copied the ISO to a new location and I'm able to open it. Why do I have to copy to a new location? What is causing this problem? How do I fix it? it never did this before, I don't know when it was or the last time I tried to mount an ISO with Windows Explorer but whenever it was It was working perfectly. I've been using Winrar and will continue to use it until Microsoft fixes this issue. They caused it with an Update as it has never done this before.

Nikorasu, May 12, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Have you restarted after merging the reg file? (step 5) (I hope you merged it as well as downloading it...*Biggrin )

- and are you running as admin to merge it? (see Tutorial comments on this)

dalchina, May 12, 2017
  11. Nikorasu Win User
    Yes, I have done all of that. Moving the file to a new location worked. But I shouldn't have to do that though!

Nikorasu, May 12, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Not saying you should, merely that there are a number of different reports that that worked for some with your symptom.

I suspect that if you upgrade to the CU or do an in-place upgrade it will work again.

dalchina, May 12, 2017
  13. Nikorasu Win User

Nah its not worth it. I'm not doing an in place upgrade. I might as well do a clean install if have to go through all that effort.

Nikorasu, May 12, 2017
  14. Nikorasu Win User
    This problem shouldn't even exist in the first place. Nobody uses this computer except me and it has never had any viruses ever. Therefore if there's a software problem its Microsofts fault.

Nikorasu, May 12, 2017
  15. Berton Win User
    Not all the programs installed on someone's computer come from Microsoft.

I didn't see mentioned where the original .iso file that won't mount is stored, may be an issue in that Folder which gets worked around when the .iso file is copied/moved to a different Folder. I keep all my .iso files on a Data drive [D:] in a Folder named CD/DVD ISO.

Berton, May 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't mount ISO''s with Windows Explorer anymore. - Similar Threads - Can't mount ISO''s

2. Can't mount ISO file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't mount ISO file: After upgrading from Window 10 64 to Windows 11 I can't mount ISO files. I have mount options in Explorer and after choosing it Windows Explorer stops responding. That is the situation with all ISO files, even with those ones, downloaded with Windows 10 on the same notebook...
  3. Can't mount ISO file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't mount ISO file: After upgrading from Window 10 64 to Windows 11 I can't mount ISO files. I have mount options in Explorer and after choosing it Windows Explorer stops responding. That is the situation with all ISO files, even with those ones, downloaded with Windows 10 on the same notebook...
  4. I can't mount an ISO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't mount an ISO: I need to mount an ISO but I don't get the option to, everything on the internet says to open the file with windows explorer but it doesn't give me the option to. I've updated my computer and nothing has changed, so how do I mount it?...
  5. I can't mount an ISO

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't mount an ISO: I need to mount an ISO but I don't get the option to, everything on the internet says to open the file with windows explorer but it doesn't give me the option to. I've updated my computer and nothing has changed, so how do I mount it?...
  6. I can't mount an ISO

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows can't mount ISO

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows can't mount ISO: When I try to mount .iso file with Windows Explorer, a blue loading circle appears for 2-3 minutes and I get this error: Sorry, there was a problem mounting the file. My ISO is not broken, I m sure because I can extract it with Winrar and I can mount it in another PC. I tried...
  8. Unable to Mount ISO file in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Unable to Mount ISO file in Windows Explorer: Please note : I am able to open the ISO with other programs (Winrar, 7zip, etc) I am desperate, looking for help. I have scoured the web far and wide and cannot find a solution to my issue and I refuse to believe that reformatting my PC is the only way to fix this issue....
  9. Unable to Mount ISO file in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Mount ISO file in Windows Explorer: Please note : I am able to open the ISO with other programs (Winrar, 7zip, etc) I am desperate, looking for help. I have scoured the web far and wide and cannot find a solution to my issue and I refuse to believe that reformatting my PC is the only way to fix this issue....
  10. Error found in File explorer / .iso mounting

in Windows 10 Support
    Error found in File explorer / .iso mounting: Hi there Seems I've got a hideous error here -- Mounting a DVD (bog standard - not Blu ray) as an ISO file Windows explorer shows file size as a whopping 95 GB !!!!!!!! Handbrake then won't encode to mkv / mp4 file for my media streamer. Also the mounted ISO won't...