Windows 10: Can't move icons

Discus and support Can't move icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I try to move icons on my desktop, they usually snap back to their original positions. I can, however, move them into folders on the desktop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Newmaven, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Newmaven Win User

Can't move icons

When I try to move icons on my desktop, they usually snap back to their original positions. I can, however, move them into folders on the desktop. What's the fix?

:)

Newmaven, Nov 29, 2017

2. Can't move icons

Hi Anji,

I run the commands as you suggested; I set a restore point and a backup image, just in case.

I went to the control panel “programs and features “ and removed Fences2 , the it came up with an error, Compatibility assistant and ran that. I rebooted and I was able to move icons, etc.

I went back to “programs and features” and Fences2 was still there, but everything is running.

What do you suggest to remove the program?

Thanks for your help!!

Melvin

Melvin Edward, Nov 29, 2017
  3. Can't move icons

I upgraded from 7 pro to 10, everything moved over except Fences2, I didn’t get a notice of compatibility and let it upgrade. Now I can’t move my icons, I can delete one or add a folder. I tried uninstalling frences2 and it crashed and I had to do
    a restore. I can’t get an answer for Stardock (Fences2) they say Fences3 beta3 is compatible but can get an answer if it will upgrade my version on windows 10.

When windows 10 boots there is a few minutes I can move them, then they move back.
    I tried turning the startup items but to no avail.

I someone knew where i could make a registry change that might work?

Melvin Edward, Nov 29, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

Can't move icons

Try unselecting the highlighted:

Can't move icons [​IMG]

Cliff S, Nov 29, 2017
  5. Newmaven Win User
    How do I access this menu? It is not what I get when I right-click the desktop.

Newmaven, Nov 30, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Right click desktop.
    Select "View"

Cliff S, Nov 30, 2017
  7. Newmaven Win User
    <blush> I should have spotted the shading on your screen shot.

However, even after unchecking, my problem remains.

Newmaven, Nov 30, 2017
  8. RichardC Win User

Can't move icons

I had the same problem. My only solution was to download DesktopOK for 64bit. All you do is open the program, align the icons where you want them and then hit save. I pinned DesktopOK to my start up menu tile and if the icons decide to go for a walk, I just hit windows key, tap on the DesktopOK tile. In box make sure the saved alignment is highlighted and click restore. They pop back then close the program. My icons haven't moved for a while but it's nice to have a remedy close at hand.

RichardC, Dec 1, 2017
  9. Newmaven Win User
    I already have DesktopOK. In fact, I'm wondering whether uninstalling it might help. But my problem is not that my icons go walkabout but rather that I cannot move them where I want them to go--no sense saving my current layout! Using Desktop OK t o restore older layouts has not helped, either.

Newmaven, Dec 1, 2017
  10. My problem was if I moved one icon several other icons would scatter even if they were on another part of the screen.

What worked for me, finally, was to move each icon & then keep the mouse button down for about 10 seconds with the icon in its new place as if I was gluing it there & had to wait for the glue to set.

Some icons couldn't be moved into my desired location until other icons were moved. Some icons had to be moved in steps toward where I wanted them to go. Always I kept treating them as if they had to take a set in their new location.

I used the above method to move all of those which had gotten out of place.

I've used DesktopOK for many years & I was quick to delete all of my old icon screen saved placements & then save the new icon setup & set the program to save on Windows shutdown & restore on Windows startup.

I have seen either this problem or just not being able to move individual icons on three of my four PCs.

Jeffrey Cox, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't move icons

1. Can't move icons - Similar Threads - Can't move icons

2. Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.: I'm appreciated if somebody can help me to fix the problem. Sometimes after using my laptop for a while, I can't move or click open the icons on my desktop, except the very left two columns. When I tried to drag icons from the left two columns to the right part of the screen,...
  3. Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.: I'm appreciated if somebody can help me to fix the problem. Sometimes after using my laptop for a while, I can't move or click open the icons on my desktop, except the very left two columns. When I tried to drag icons from the left two columns to the right part of the screen,...
  4. Can't move the taskbar icons to center

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the taskbar icons to center: I am trying to move my taskbar icons back to the center they are currently on the left. The taskbar is unlocked, I have right clicked on the task bar and opened the settings but I do not have an option anymore for the taskbar alignment....
  5. Can't move the taskbar icons to center

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move the taskbar icons to center: I am trying to move my taskbar icons back to the center they are currently on the left. The taskbar is unlocked, I have right clicked on the task bar and opened the settings but I do not have an option anymore for the taskbar alignment....
  6. Can't move the taskbar icons to center

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Issue with taskbar - icons can't be moved

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue with taskbar - icons can't be moved: I have an issue where I can't click and drag to reorder icons on my taskbar. The taskbar is not locked. I can reorder icons on the system tray - but the task bar icons won't budge. I have tried logging in and out of my account, restarting, moving the task bar around, adding...
  8. Moving Icons

Moving Icons: Just put in bigger screen and Icons don't always stay where they are supposed to, they randomly change spots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-icons/53003127-971c-4e28-8d8a-ab6e014d4480
  9. Icons moving

Icons moving: Each morning when I turn on the computer, the icons have been re-arranged. Is this a sign of a malicious virus? Or just another design feature of Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-moving/533bca83-2e34-430e-aab8-00cb0fd87283
  10. Can't move desktop icons off-screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move desktop icons off-screen: Before this latest update, I used to use all 4 sides of my screen. I used to keep half of each desktop icon out of screen. Now when I try to move an icon a little bit out of screen Windows just won't let me. How do I fix this? I tried changing the regedit entry...