Windows 10: Can't move Music folder to another drive

Discus and support Can't move Music folder to another drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by okcancel, Mar 1, 2016.

1. okcancel Win User

Can't move Music folder to another drive

I'm trying to move all of my documents to a new hard drive and I successfully did it with all of them except for the "Music" folder; each time I try to move it to a new location I get this error message:

Can't move Music folder to another drive [​IMG]

Is there a way to correct this?

:)

okcancel, Mar 1, 2016

2. Windows 10 wants to "redirect" Pictures folder into Music folder on external drive -

or it refuses to move the Pictures folder at all.

I have already moved the system folder for Music to the external drive, so long ago that I don't remember the details. I want to move the system folder for Pictures on the external drive. I'm using the location tab of "properties", and browsed to the drive,
    selecting it. The location shows as "D:\". I okay the move, then a message appears:

Folder Redirection

Do you want to redirect folder "Pictures" into another system folder "Music", located at "D:\"? If you proceed with redirection you will not be able to separate them or restore default location.

Do you still want to proceed with redirection?

Apparently I'm given the choice of merging the two system folders or not moving the Pictures system folder at all. D drive has more than enough room on it for these two system folders to live comfortably. There are also some file folders on the drive,
    but plenty of space.

Is there some reason the OS thinks this external drive (which is connected 98% of the time), is consumed by the Music system folder, so that the only option is to merge the two?

I won't go ahead with the move under those circumstances. I've read that this has unfortunate consequences and isn't easily reversed.

I'm guessing that I might be able to move the Pictures system folder if I move it to another folder on the drive, as in "D:/Annoyed, not just "D:/", but I'm trying to do away with clutter, not add another layer.

Is there a way to move the system folder "Pictures" to the drive "D:/", and have it reside as a separate folder from the system folder "Music", already located on the drive?

sam8988378, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Gymbos Win User
    Move Users folder to another drive

Hi,

My C: dirve is a 120 GB SSD, and my user folder has both Goggle Drive and Dropbox, so I'm down to less than 10 GB free on that drive, is there a way to move that folder to my 1 TB D: drive?

Gymbos, Mar 1, 2016
  4. AndreyT Win User

How is your permissions? Does your user account have enough rights to write data to your intended destination location?

AndreyT, Mar 1, 2016
  5. okcancel Win User
    Yes, I have admin rights, I have every permission except for "Special permissions", which I don't know if that's necessary nor how to enable it.

okcancel, Mar 1, 2016
  6. wyldman68 Win User
    Maybe try copying the music to a different location on the present hard drive and then copy to the new hard drive. I have had this problem with other versions of windows and that is how I got around it.

wyldman68, Mar 1, 2016
  7. okcancel Win User
    I tried it and I still get the message "The copy function cannot be used".

okcancel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't move Music folder to another drive - Similar Threads - Can't move Music

2. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  3. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving desktop folder to another drive: Hi all. I have just had to reinstall windoes due booting problems. I want to move desktop, documents folders etc to another drive. I know how to do it right click, properties, location, move but the issue I have is that I already have these folders on another drive due to the...
  4. Moving desktop folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving user profile folders to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user profile folders to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  6. Moving Folders to Another Drive

Moving Folders to Another Drive: I wanted to move some folders to another drive and found this article, https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-move-your-default-data-folders-to-a-different-drive/#:~:text=To%20make%20the%20move%2C%20open,new%20location%20for%20that%20folder.I followed the steps to move...
  7. Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble

Desktop Folder move to another drive trouble: Good morning everyone. I mess up and i change the desktop and the download files from C to D and it doesn't show me the downloads file. I choose only the D driver and didn't make a desktop file. Its exactly the same problem from here...
  8. Move appdata folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move appdata folder to another drive: I was wondering if it was possible to move the appdata folder to a drive different from c, since I have a small ssd and I want to free up some space. I've red that changing its path could break some programs so I wanted to know what do you think about it and if you know other...
  9. Can't move apps to another drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't move apps to another drive: Hi, I would just like to install Phantasy Star Online 2 on my pc but I'm having a weird error code. First of all I wanted it to go to my drive E where I have a lot of space left the option was there to download the app and is highlighted blue so it's clickable but when I do...
  10. Moving Public Folder to another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving Public Folder to another drive: I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space. The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files...