Windows 10: Can't move shortcuts on desktop...

Discus and support Can't move shortcuts on desktop... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After I install an application and it creates a shortcut on the desktop, I can't move the shortcut to another position. When I try to move it, I get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by N7AS, Aug 20, 2015.

1. N7AS Win User

Can't move shortcuts on desktop...

After I install an application and it creates a shortcut on the desktop, I can't move the shortcut to another position. When I try to move it, I get a small slashed circle. What's up with that?

:)

2. Can't move shortcut icons on my desktop to different locations on the desktop

not very helpful.

I still can't move desktop shortcut.

Jean-Paul Cantareul, Aug 20, 2015
  3. Clicking on Shortcut in Quick Access does not go to excepted location

The "Desktop" view that shows extra icons like Libraries/RecycleBin/Network... that's not a real folder (not an actual location on the hard drive), so it can't be pinned.

But perhaps try this: right-click your desktop, create a shortcut to "shell:desktop" (no quotes), and then move that shortcut to your desired resting place.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 20, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

How are you trying to move it, please explain your problem.

5. N7AS Win User
    I am just left click with my mouse and drag it to a new location like I always have done for many years.

6. Bazz Win User
    I have seen this problem on this forum and if you were to search I'm sure you will find the solution.

In the mean time how about you just right click and copy and then paste into the required directory.

7. N7AS Win User
    No, I just want to drag it. After I copy/paste it is still not movable.

8. Bazz Win User

Sorry I don't know how to fix your problem.

You can do this registry edit by copying the text underneath and copying into a notepad and then saving as a .reg file you will then be able to move to, once you save as a .reg file just double click it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}]

9. jds63 Win User
    Right click the desktop, select View uncheck Auto Arrange. This what you mean ?

jds63, Aug 20, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Oh, also Align icons to grid, uncheck may help too.

jds63, Aug 20, 2015
  11. N7AS Win User
    No, those two options won't work. I do use Stardock Fences for years. I uninstalled it and now I can move shortcuts like I always have done. I think it's a Windows 10 thing, as With Windows 8.1 and 7 even with Fences, I could still move the shortcuts. I wonder if there is another option like fences that Windows 10 would like.

12. jds63 Win User
    Well never mentioned you had this software, says it's compatible with Windows 10, but who knows till try.
    Sure have updated to newest version ? Fences : Software from Stardock

jds63, Aug 20, 2015
  13. N7AS Win User

I have not thought of a later version. The one I used was the FREE one. I don't think it is offered free anymore. I like FREE as FREE is good.

14. jds63 Win User
    Well, doesn't everyone ! Live in free country ,with freedom.

jds63, Aug 21, 2015
  15. db0255 Win User
    I also updated to Windows 10 with Stardock Fences (2.10) already installed. I got the same problem as you did where it would show a black circle with a slash through it when you tried to move anything (in to fences, or just on the desktop). The auto-arrange and align options were also unchecked.

Unclear if this has anything to do with the program though, since I uninstalled it and I still cannot move icons on the desktop and I get the same signal.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'll update if I find a solution.

db0255, Feb 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't move shortcuts on desktop... - Similar Threads - Can't move shortcuts

2. Why are desktop shortcuts malfunctioning and I can't move them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are desktop shortcuts malfunctioning and I can't move them?: Have a look at this video:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UlqqirGeo6AV7zWSuqIQj9fXcon5nwNM/view?usp=sharingI think that shortcuts of software and folder have been assigned particular space on desktop and we can't move them out of that space. Is it so?I am able to move...
  3. Why are desktop shortcuts malfunctioning and I can't move them?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are desktop shortcuts malfunctioning and I can't move them?: Have a look at this video:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UlqqirGeo6AV7zWSuqIQj9fXcon5nwNM/view?usp=sharingI think that shortcuts of software and folder have been assigned particular space on desktop and we can't move them out of that space. Is it so?I am able to move...
  4. Desktop Shortcuts keep moving. Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Shortcuts keep moving. Windows 11: Every time i turn on my pc my desktop shortcuts keep rearranging and idk why. I have auto rearrange off so idk why it keeps on doing it and how to keep everything from moving....
  5. can't delete desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete desktop shortcuts: [ATTACH] everytime i try to delete something it says "item not found" and turning into a globe https://preview.redd.it/394w025d6yp61.png?width=84&format=png&auto=webp&s=c967e10948be142ae9ebbf7ae8b96ef61135c10b submitted by /u/xander1090 [link] [comments]...
  6. Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop shortcuts and files are moving after reboot: Hey my desktop shortcut and files are moving in a certain position(not sorted by any means, seems arbitrarily, but everytime the same position) and its driving me crazy. I already searched and found many thread on multiple sites, but nothing helped me. As far as I can tell I...
  7. desktop shortcuts have moved up screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop shortcuts have moved up screen: I don't know if anyone has ever had this problem but recently i switched from a 1080p tv screen to a 4k tv screen as a monitor. For a few days everything was fine until i changed a few sizing settings to get everything to a usable size. all of a sudden my shortcut icons...
  8. PDF shortcut / icon will not delete from desktop. Can't rename. Can't move to another...

PDF shortcut / icon will not delete from desktop. Can't rename. Can't move to another...: Working on an HP machine with Windows 10. I've tried: 1 - Right Click + Delete 2 - Moving to Recycling Bin including dragging to Recycling Bin 3 - Renaming File 4 - C: > Users > [Username] > Desktop > Delete/Rename/Move/etc. 5 - A Lenovo / Preview Panel bug fix 6 -...
  9. Moving desktop shortcut to taskbar

Moving desktop shortcut to taskbar: I have regularly pinned desktop shortcut icons to my taskbar simply by dragging them there. Currently I have one otherwise ordinary desktop icon which refuses to even offer me the option of being pinned. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution?...
  10. desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving: my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas? [img] [img] [img] 60173