Windows 10: Can't native boot Hyper-V generation 2 vhdx

Discus and support Can't native boot Hyper-V generation 2 vhdx in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; If I create a generation 1 VM I can native boot the vhdx by adding bcd entry. If I make a generation 2 VM it fails with "a required device isn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by lx07, Nov 5, 2015.

1. lx07 Win User

Can't native boot Hyper-V generation 2 vhdx

If I create a generation 1 VM I can native boot the vhdx by adding bcd entry. If I make a generation 2 VM it fails with "a required device isn't connected...0xc0000225". Pressing f8 for "Startup Settings" gives "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing. File \Windows\system32\winload.efi. Error code 0xc0000225"

This is my BCD entry Code: Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier {default} device vhd=[D:]\Hyper-V\Windows-vm3\Virtual Hard Disks\Windows-vm3.vhdx path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi description Windows-vm3 locale en-US inherit {bootloadersettings} recoverysequence {2bd3faf9-6091-11e5-86c4-c3a22c898ce3} recoveryenabled Yes isolatedcontext Yes flightsigning Yes allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075 osdevice vhd=[D:]\Hyper-V\Windows-vm3\Virtual Hard Disks\Windows-vm3.vhdx systemroot \WINDOWS resumeobject {2bd3faf2-6091-11e5-86c4-c3a22c898ce3} nx AlwaysOn bootmenupolicy Standard hypervisorlaunchtype Auto[/quote] and the Hyper-V definition (I've tried with and without secure boot, changing the boot order and removing the separate pagefile drive. It always works on Hyper-V will never boot on native boot.

Can't native boot Hyper-V generation 2 vhdx [​IMG]

Conversely if I install windows and turn off the VM before the first reboot I can boot it natively but Hyper-V will not boot (again complains of missing bootloader). The bootloader can't be repaired by bootrec, no valid windows installations are found.

Windows versions I'm using are 10 Pro build 10240 for host, build 10586 or 10240 for guest.

Does anyone know if it is possible to native boot a generation 2 VM vhdx and boot it through Hyper-V, the same as you can with generation 1?

:)

lx07, Nov 5, 2015
  2. lx07 Win User

th2_release Enterprise 10586 fails

The only workaround really is to create a Hyper-V VM, attach your vhdx and then upgrade it.

You can't upgrade native boot vhdx.

lx07, Nov 5, 2015
  3. lx07 Win User
    th2_release Enterprise 10586 fails

It is the intended behavior according to here
    Frequently Asked Questions: Virtual Hard Disks
    "Upgrading the operating system booted from a VHD. If you boot from a VHD, you cannot upgrade the Windows version in the VHD to a newer version."

You can both native boot and run the same vhdx in hyper-v (I do). If you have 2 installs on vhdx you can use each one to update the other... Otherwise with a normal install (not vhdx) on the same hardware you can install hyper-v, create a VM using the
    existing vhdx and then upgrade it.

No idea the reason for the restriction but it has always been like that as far as I know.

lx07, Nov 5, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

How much HD space have you allotted. It needs to be able to expand to the full size during boot.

Dude, Nov 6, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    It's only 20GB maximum - I have space for it to expand to full size..

lx07, Nov 6, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    I would try at least 40gb, always worked for me in hyper-v at that size.

Dude, Nov 6, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Nov 6, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

That was it - bcd was created wrong method for UEFI vhdx.

In case it helps...

For generation 1:
    • bcdedit /copy {default} /d "Boot from Foobar.vhdx"
    • bcdedit /set {guid} device vhd="[D:]\VHDs\Foobar.vhdx" (replacing guid with the generated guid and D with the drive the vhdx is on)
    • bcdedit /set {guid} osdevice vhd="[D:]\VHDs\Foobar.vhdx"
    • bcdedit /set {guid} detecthal on
    For generation 2:
    • mount vhdx
    • bcdboot F:\Windows (replacing F with the drive it vhdx is mounted to)
    • bcdedit /set {default} description "Boot from Foobar.vhdx"

lx07, Nov 7, 2015
  9. Dude Win User
    Glad you got it working right.

Dude, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't native boot Hyper-V generation 2 vhdx - Similar Threads - Can't native boot

2. Windows installation freezes using Generation 2 in Hyper-V.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows installation freezes using Generation 2 in Hyper-V.: In Hyper-V Windows 10 installed correctly using Generation 1. Trying to install Windows 10 or 11 using Generation 2 the installation freezes on boot preventing install. Can someone please help me with the knowledge to correct this issue....
  3. Windows installation freezes using Generation 2 in Hyper-V.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows installation freezes using Generation 2 in Hyper-V.: In Hyper-V Windows 10 installed correctly using Generation 1. Trying to install Windows 10 or 11 using Generation 2 the installation freezes on boot preventing install. Can someone please help me with the knowledge to correct this issue....
  4. How to boot into bootable differencing vhdx in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to boot into bootable differencing vhdx in Hyper-V: Hello, I am trying to upgrade my boot to VHD VHDX to the latest Windows 10 update using this terrific tutorial from @Kari: Native boot Virtual Hard Disk - How to upgrade Windows However, I am having trouble getting the vhdx to boot in Hyper-V. Everything seems to work as...
  5. Native booting vhdx file not working

Native booting vhdx file not working: I've been trying to native boot Win10 on a vhdx virtual disk. I'm following this guide: You are being redirected.... Everything seems to work as it should. But when I reboot the system the following error is shown: [img] I'm testing this in a VMWare VM with UEFI boot and...
  6. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  7. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  8. Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.

Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (10240) and have a guest Windows 10 VM (10528) which were working fine. Both were activated and connected to internet correctly. Today I booted the VM as native boot VHDX. This installed some drivers, connected to internet and...
  9. Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD: How to: Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD [img] Information First a quote from Microsoft Developer Network's (MSDN) support article: Native Boot allows you to create a virtual hard disk (VHD), install Windows to it, and then boot it up, either on your PC side-by-side with...
  10. See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2: How to: See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2 How to See if Hyper-V Virtual Machine is Generation 1 or Generation 2 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. Boot from Foobar.vhdx

3. create bootable hyper-V generation 2 vhdx