Windows 10: Can't open and Metro style Windows app

Discus and support Can't open and Metro style Windows app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I seem to have had a major Windows 10 Pro X64 failure. After a couple days of investigation, I'm stumped. -Right now, I can't open and Metro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dsscottage, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Can't open and Metro style Windows app

I seem to have had a major Windows 10 Pro X64 failure.

After a couple days of investigation, I'm stumped.

-Right now, I can't open and Metro style Windows apps including Settings.
    -I also can't open "services.msc" (I get a window that says Microsoft Services Management Console has stopped working)

Here's show the issue started and what I have done so far:
    The initial problem:
    -After boot up, I got a window that said "Unspecified error occurred in the following component AVGMFAPX.exe"
    -My mouse was not working

What I saw during troubleshooting:
    -I attempted go back to a restore point. Windows told me that this couldn't be done because of disk errors and I should run chkdsk. (Windows is on a SSD). I ran chkdsk. It said that it found errors but apparently completed almost immediately. (I know that TRIM should do the job)
    -I rebooted and ran System Restore. It started but failed. It said the restore point was corrupted and was deleted.
    -I fixed the mouse problem by replacing one of the drives that was shown as 0KB instead or 152KB
    -I removed and reinstalled AVG (It seems to be working but the User Interface will stop working if I try to close it. I'm still investigating that)
    -I ran a full virus scan using AVG and Malware Bytes (both clear)

My current situation:
    -All non-Metro programs seem to work correctly
    -All Metro apps (including Settings) will not open (nothing happens)
    -I also can't open "services.msc" (I get a window that says Microsoft Services Management Console has stopped working)

Suspecting damaged system files, I tried to run SFC (as administrator from the Windows Power Shell). It proceeded to 34% complete, then failed with the message "Windows Resource Protection could not complete the required operation"

Now I'm stumped.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro X64 Version 1511 on an ASUS i7 computer
    System drive is an OCZ 256G SSD
    Second drive is a 2TB HDD

Any suggestions?

:)

dsscottage, Jun 19, 2016

2. internet explorer program open mode

hi sir/madam in my internet explorer I want to open in metro style which mean full screen but it always open in desktop mode.i also clear the default program it also constant the same.i want the internet in metro style.

seemon stark, Jun 19, 2016
  3. Entegy Win User
    Xbox Companion app on ios

So? This app is targeted at Halo fans. Not all Halo fans have Windows Phones. The is going to be styled with Metro and feel best on WP7, just like the My Xbox Live app is styled with Metro and feels a little like WP7's Games Hub with a lot less functionality.

Entegy, Jun 19, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Can't open and Metro style Windows app

have you tried the Dism fix in the tutorials, along with restoring the apps, which there is also a tutorial for it in tutorials.

It could just be the ongoing issues for Microsoft for that set of servers that they host on Azure.

bro67, Jun 19, 2016
  5. I tried Dism without success. I have a Windows ISO mounted on an E: drive
    Here's an image of the attempt:

Can't open and Metro style Windows app [​IMG]

I've attached the log file that Dism created:

I'm stumped. Can anyone help?

dsscottage, Jun 20, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 20, 2016
  7. Thank you Brink,

I'll try that to see if it works.

I know that this isn't the hardware forum but I'll ask anyway.....
    I've had several strange failures, all related to files in the SSD. Everything on the HDD seems to be OK. I suspect that the originator of my problem is an SSD problem (OCZ Vestor 256 GB). I ran CrystalDiskInfo and it didn't identify any problems. I tried to check the OCZ site to see if they had any utilities that may help to problem solve but their site is down for maintenance. Any suggestions on this front?

dsscottage, Jun 20, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Not sure on the 2nd question, but it would be worth creating a new thread in the hardware forum to see if a solution may be found for it.

Brink, Jun 20, 2016
  9. Thank-you to everyone that offered help.

I tried everything that was suggested and nothing resolved the issue. Therefore, I did what I was trying to avoid. I reformatted the SSD and did a fresh install of Windows 10. That was about a week ago and I am still in the process of reinstalling all of my software. Everything is now working as it should.

It bothers me that I have no idea what caused the problem but I saw something interesting during the reinstall process. When I went to reformat the SSD, I saw that there were 3 existing partitions on the SSD. (System reserved - that's normal, Healthy Boot - that's normal and OEM - that was strange). I know that, in an OEM computer, the manufacturer creates the hidden OEM partition and that's where the Windows installation files are located. However, I installed the SSD myself and demoted the manufacturer supplied HDD to my D: drive and used it for data. I did not install an OEM partition on the SSD. Somehow it appeared and I suspect that this was related to my problem. (virus/, root kit?)

Again, a huge thank you to everyone who took the time and effort to provide assistance.

dsscottage, Jul 5, 2016
  10. Well, the re-installation of Windows ultimately didn't work. It failed again a few days later. After numerous problem solving efforts and Windows re-installations, I bought a new SSD and replaced the old one.

This seems to have worked but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the problem doesn't recur.

dsscottage, Sep 6, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It was a worth a shot, but at least you have shiny new SSD now. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't open and Metro style Windows app - Similar Threads - Can't open Metro

2. Metro Apps not installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Metro Apps not installed: Hi there, I used to have a problem where metro apps wouldn't open, so I did an in-place upgrade of Windows 10. After the upgrade finished, the metro apps just didn't exist, I couldn't find them via search or settings, and whenever I use the PowerShell commands it just says...
  3. Metro style UI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metro style UI: New metro style UI is a big mistake and true piece of sh**t. Please kill it with fire. Pls send this message to Satya Nadella and Bill Gates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/metro-style-ui/323057de-38a5-487a-8ec6-d9435696b1ff
  4. Windows 10 metro apps wont open

Windows 10 metro apps wont open: [img] 21342
  5. Remove Windows 10 Metro Apps

Remove Windows 10 Metro Apps: Hi, Even using :: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage :: will leave some apps there, I need to decide if I should remove them manually or not, but I don't know what they do and are they vital? So please help me by letting me know what's each one? Cheers....
  6. File Explorer > Open With > remove Windows Store & Metro apps?

File Explorer > Open With > remove Windows Store & Metro apps?: If you right-click on a file, the Open With menu will have suggestions for any Metro app that thinks it can handle the file-type, as well as the Windows Store. The Windows Store is useless to me, and I have yet to see a single Metro app worth using. I'd like to remove...
  7. Metro Apps Problem

Metro Apps Problem: I don't have Metro (Modern) Apps (Fresh Install). How do i get it? 35052
  8. Metro Apps after 1511

Metro Apps after 1511: Hey guys, long time reader fist post tho. i considere myself computer "able"! but i have this stupid problem since upgrading to windows 10. upgrade went fine although when i wanted to register a new user, this new user start menu wont even open. tried many times and did many...
  9. Use Modern or Metro Style Print Dialog in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Use Modern or Metro Style Print Dialog in Windows 10: How to: Use Modern or Metro Style Print Dialog in Windows 10 [img] Information When you Print from Windows Store apps in Windows 10, a modern Print dialog box will open by default. The Print dialog box lets the user select options for a particular print job. For...
  10. Suddenly Opening in Metro Interface

in Windows 10 Support
    Suddenly Opening in Metro Interface: The patient is an IBM Thinkpad laptop running the latest build (10130) as part of a dual boot 7 / 10 setup. It has been running 10 without incident for months. All of a sudden, my main account opens in a metro style desktop. Applications open full screen and cannot be...