Windows 10: Can't Open Links from MS Outlook

Discus and support Can't Open Links from MS Outlook in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Had no problem until today. IE11 is my default browser. Get this message when I click on a link in MS Outlook: You'll Need a New App to Open this... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by capri3156, Mar 21, 2016.

1. capri3156 Win User

Can't Open Links from MS Outlook

Had no problem until today. IE11 is my default browser. Get this message when I click on a link in MS Outlook:

You'll Need a New App to
    Open this HTTPs.
    Look for App in The Store

Any ideas?

:)

capri3156, Mar 21, 2016
  2. Eagle4031 Win User

MS Outlook not working properly since installing Windows 10.

Since installing Windows 10, I can't open my MS Outlook 2010 without "run as an administrator". As an administrator, MS Outlook won't allow me to conduct my customary quick searches of emails. Is there a way to fix this, i.e., open MS Outlook now without
    being an administrator?

Eagle4031, Mar 21, 2016
  3. Can't open link in Outlook Email since Windows Update December 2017

I updated Windows 10 yesterday 12/9/2017 and now I can't open links in my MS Outlook emails. I get the statement "Your organization's policies are preventing us from completing the action for you, please contact help desk" So please anyone help!

CarrieSallee, Mar 21, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Suggestions :

1. Do a system restore. Pick a date you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

2. If the above does not help, go to Programs and Features > scroll down to Microsoft office > right click at it > click Change > click Repair.

3. Use this tutorial
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Select Option Two > at the File type or protocol table, scroll down to HTTP > click the http link > follow the steps #1 to step #7.
    Make sure you restart the computer.

davidhk, Mar 21, 2016
  5. capri3156 Win User
    OK. Got it working but now it's opening to MS Edge. I prefer IE11. Tried resetting defaults and associations but can't get urls, etc to open into IE11.

capri3156, Mar 22, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Right click at Start button > Control Panel > top right, click View by > select either large or small > Default Programs > Set your default programs > wait for loading > click at Internet Explorer > right side, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

Can't Open Links from MS Outlook [​IMG]

davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  7. capri3156 Win User
    Tried that but it only gets me to the original problem:

You'll Need a New App to
    Open this HTTPs

As I now recall, clicking a link in Outlook use to bring up a box offering which browser to use - IE or Edge. That's
    now gone.

PS: In "Settings/Default Apps, there's an option "Web Browser - Choose a default. Clicking it gives me this message:

There is no installed app for this type of file or protocol. Look for an app in the app store.

Checked W10 running on my laptop and the Settings/Default apps/Web browser did offer a choice of Edge or IE.

capri3156, Mar 22, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

....................Tried that but it only gets me to the original problem:

You'll Need a New App to
    Open this HTTPs
    ............................................................................................

Have you tried Suggestion #3 from post #2 ?

davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  9. capri3156 Win User
    Yes, tried them all. Seems to me that there's a W10 problem with my desktop. As I mentioned, my laptop is OK in that it does offer browser options in Settings/Default apps while the desktop does not. I may try a clean install of course after a create a new image.

capri3156, Mar 22, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Please post back the result of clean install.
    Good luck.

davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  11. capri3156 Win User
    That did it. I now at least get a choice of browsers when clicking on a link in Outlook. Being able to "Clean Install" without losing any apps or settings is a real blessing. "Settings/Default apps" again offers a choice for the default browser.

capri3156, Mar 22, 2016
  12. davidhk Win User
    To be honest. I don't think you did a "clean install", because as the name implies, clean install will not let you keep anything.
    I think you did a repair/in-place install ?
    Show me the tutorial you used, if you don't mind.

davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  13. capri3156 Win User

I didn't use a tutorial. The tutorial found in this forum is somewhat complicated for me. Googled around and found that it's a relatively simple process. Most important is to use the exact same Media Creation Tool USB used to create the original W10 upgrade. Don't boot it but simply run the setup from within the installed W10 OS. I have a SSD so it took only 30 minutes. When it finished, it fixed my browser problem and kept all apps and files.

We may have a terminology question here. Everything I found referred to it as a Clean Install.

capri3156, Mar 22, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    OK.
    In my book, you did an in-place install, also known as repair install.

We'll leave it at that. No need to split hair.
    You have problem resolved. That's most important.

Happy computing.

davidhk, Mar 22, 2016
  15. capri3156 Win User
    Agreed. Repair install. That's a better description. Thank you.

capri3156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Open Links from MS Outlook - Similar Threads - Can't Open Links

2. "We can't open this 'ms-windows-store' link"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "We can't open this 'ms-windows-store' link": Hello,I have purchased a new PC with Windows 11 from BestBuy, and I've come to realize that it is missing several Windows features - things like the Microsoft Store, Calculator, Photos, are not available.I have tried several different ways of fixing the problem, but nothing...
  3. "We can't open this 'ms-windows-store' link"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "We can't open this 'ms-windows-store' link": Hello,I have purchased a new PC with Windows 11 from BestBuy, and I've come to realize that it is missing several Windows features - things like the Microsoft Store, Calculator, Photos, are not available.I have tried several different ways of fixing the problem, but nothing...
  4. "can't open ms-gaming overlay link"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "can't open ms-gaming overlay link": I keep getting an error message when starting some games: "can't open ms-gaming overlay link"None of the suggestions I found on google were helpful, like disabling the XBox gaming bar or the Steam's overlay.Nothing works....
  5. "can't open ms-gaming overlay link"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "can't open ms-gaming overlay link": I keep getting an error message when starting some games: "can't open ms-gaming overlay link"None of the suggestions I found on google were helpful, like disabling the XBox gaming bar or the Steam's overlay.Nothing works....
  6. Can't open links in MS Outlook after deleting IE 11 in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't open links in MS Outlook after deleting IE 11 in Windows 10: I moved from using Internext Explorer 11 to Microsoft Edge some time ago. A couple of days ago I decided I did not need Internext Explorer 11 on my PC so I deleted it. Next day I found I was unable to open links in emails Microsoft Outlook, Office 2013 Desktop version....
  7. Links will not open in email. Outlook 2007

in Windows 10 Customization
    Links will not open in email. Outlook 2007: Hi! I am lost. I have looked all over the web and tried the repairs for this problem but I have come to no avail. I cannot open links from my email. I have edge as my default browser. I am using outlook 2007 and I have the latest updates. I have tried using firefox as my...
  8. Can't open links in Outlook 2013

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open links in Outlook 2013: I followed some previous instructions on this topic, but no change. I didn't buy Office. Apparently, some of it came with Windows 10 or is part of my stand-alone Outlook 2013 that I purchased years ago. I was instructed to uninstall Office 15 and then reinstall....
  9. Can't open links in Outlook 2013

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open links in Outlook 2013: Dear Sumit. I don't know what caused the problem, but since about 2 hours ago, I haven't been able to open any links in my email. I get the message that "Your organization's policies are preventing us from completing the action you requested". I've tried some of the...
  10. Cannot use links from emails in Outlook, MS Office 2010

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot use links from emails in Outlook, MS Office 2010: The following message occurs when clicking on any link in an email in Outlook 2010: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this comptuer. Please contact your system administrator." I am running a stand alone desktop computer in my home....