Windows 10: Can't open photos with built in administrator

Discus and support Can't open photos with built in administrator in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Okay as it implies I can't open photos, I did have this problem before on my other computers. Whenever I try to add a new account it takes me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Fyrd, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Fyrd Win User

Can't open photos with built in administrator

Okay as it implies I can't open photos, I did have this problem before on my other computers. Whenever I try to add a new account it takes me to setttings and when I hit the button to add another account I get a black windows box for half second and nothing happens. Should I try and make a windows account and login or what?

:)

2. default photos app open error

when i open pictures, it shows "photos can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account "

nabilakhokhar, Jun 15, 2016
  3. DeathCat Win User
    Windows 10, Built In Admin (This app can't open)

Any app I open (example, calculator and photos) it will say "This app can't open, This app can't be open by the built in administrator, sign in with another account and try again"

And Yes I have tried multiple accounts, at least 5...

DeathCat, Jun 15, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello Fyrd and welcome to the TenForums,

None of the Windows Apps will work via the Built-in Administrator account. This is by design.

The hidden built-in elevated "Administrator account" is a local account that has full unrestricted access rights to the PC. By default, this "Administrator" account will not be prompted by UAC. Anything that runs while signed in to this "Administrator" account will also have full unrestricted access to the PC, so it is not recommended to use the built-in "Administrator" account for everyday usage. It's recommended to only use the built-in "Administrator" account as needed instead.

You should be able to add a new account though. Try the various options in https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Jun 15, 2016
  5. Fyrd Win User
    What happens if I can't even open the box to add local account or sign in with windows?

6. philc43 Win User
    It sounds as if you have some corrupted files on your system. Can you login to any account on your PC?

If you can open an elevated command prompt (right click on your start button to access this) please run the command: sfc /scannow

If this does not repair errors then you will need to run the command:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If you run into any problems with these commands have a look at the tutorials below:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...-10-image.html

philc43, Jun 16, 2016
  7. Fyrd Win User
    I did my best in running these commands and yielded nothing. Even in boot I can't seem to run the scan now. What is the next course of action. Should I roll back to 8 and start again?

8. lx07 Win User

You can a a user from the command prompt. For example to add new user "NewUser" as part of the Administrators group: Code: net user "NewUser" "NewUsersPassword" /add net localgroup Administrators "NewUser" /add[/quote]

9. Fyrd Win User
    I managed to make another account but It still giving me the same error. What else is there left to do?

10. philc43 Win User
    Your original error was being unable to open photos with the built-in administrator account. Can you explain what is happening now you are using the new account? What app are you trying to use? What is the error message?

So that we know the status of all your accounts can you also report back on the results of the following test.

Open a command prompt (right click on start icon) and type wmic useraccount list full
    Refer to tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

philc43, Jun 19, 2016
  11. Fyrd Win User
    Anything Windows, photo viewer, and Windows movie and video. It gives me same error. Can't open with built in Administrator, then it goes on to say "Sign in to another account". It doesn't really give much information other than that basic sentence. Whenever I hit close another error box open up and it gives me the same thing plus whatever extension of the file I tried to open.

AccountType=512
    Description=Built-in account for administering the computer/domain
    Disabled=TRUE
    Domain=Lenovo-PC
    FullName=
    InstallDate=
    LocalAccount=TRUE
    Lockout=FALSE
    Name=Administrator
    PasswordChangeable=TRUE
    PasswordExpires=FALSE
    PasswordRequired=TRUE
    SID=S-1-5-21-1896927433-2202731820-3763874318-500
    SIDType=1
    Status=Degraded

AccountType=512
    Description=A user account managed by the system.
    Disabled=TRUE
    Domain=Lenovo-PC
    FullName=
    InstallDate=
    LocalAccount=TRUE
    Lockout=FALSE
    Name=DefaultAccount
    PasswordChangeable=TRUE
    PasswordExpires=TRUE
    PasswordRequired=TRUE
    SID=S-1-5-21-1896927433-2202731820-3763874318-503
    SIDType=1
    Status=Degraded

AccountType=512
    Description=
    Disabled=FALSE
    Domain=Lenovo-PC
    FullName=
    InstallDate=
    LocalAccount=TRUE
    Lockout=FALSE
    Name=Dyrd
    PasswordChangeable=TRUE
    PasswordExpires=TRUE
    PasswordRequired=TRUE
    SID=S-1-5-21-1896927433-2202731820-3763874318-1004
    SIDType=1
    Status=OK

AccountType=512
    Description=Built-in account for guest access to the computer/domain
    Disabled=TRUE
    Domain=Lenovo-PC
    FullName=
    InstallDate=
    LocalAccount=TRUE
    Lockout=FALSE
    Name=Guest
    PasswordChangeable=FALSE
    PasswordExpires=FALSE
    PasswordRequired=FALSE
    SID=S-1-5-21-1896927433-2202731820-3763874318-501
    SIDType=1
    Status=Degraded

AccountType=512
    Description=Built-in account for homegroup access to the computer
    Disabled=FALSE
    Domain=Lenovo-PC
    FullName=HomeGroupUser$
    InstallDate=
    LocalAccount=TRUE
    Lockout=FALSE
    Name=HomeGroupUser$
    PasswordChangeable=TRUE
    PasswordExpires=FALSE
    PasswordRequired=TRUE
    SID=S-1-5-21-1896927433-2202731820-3763874318-1003
    SIDType=1
    Status=OK

AccountType=512
    Description=
    Disabled=FALSE
    Domain=Lenovo-PC
    FullName=Dasher
    InstallDate=
    LocalAccount=TRUE
    Lockout=FALSE
    Name=Owner
    PasswordChangeable=TRUE
    PasswordExpires=FALSE
    PasswordRequired=FALSE
    SID=S-1-5-21-1896927433-2202731820-3763874318-1001
    SIDType=1
    Status=OK

What do I exactly look for? The degraded part? Do I change that in Command?

12. Kari Win User
    There's nothing wrong with your Windows, most probably nothing corrupted. I think you are in so called Audit Mode in which Windows by default always signs in with the built-in admin account. In Audit Mode the only Windows UWP app working is Settings, all others (Edge, Photos, Mail, Weather, People and so on) can't be used, no new user accounts can be created using Settings > Accounts.

Windows remains in Audit Mode even after restart if user has not specifically told Windows to exit from Audit Mode to OOBE Mode using the Windows System Preparation Tool (Sysprep).

I think a bit theory is important now making this post quite long; if you are not interested in the boring stuff, jump to label Solution below. OK?

*Smile

Solution (boot to OOBE)
    1.) Browse to C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep folder, run Sysprep.exe:

Can't open photos with built in administrator [​IMG]

2.) Select Systen Cleanup Action: Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE), select Shutdown Options: Reboot, click OK:

3.) You will see that Sysprep starts working:

4.) Audit Mode always exists to OOBE. You need now to go through it starting with selecting language, time zone and formats,

5.) If Windows has already been activated or the PC has digital entitlement, select Do this later when prompted for a product key:

6.) You must set up a user every time OOBE is run. If Audit Mode was entered from an existing Windows installation and user accounts already exist, you cannot use any existing MS or local user account here. In screenshot I have tried to use / setup user but because that user already exists I am told to use another username:

That's it. You have now exited Audit Mode and are in Windows normal mode. Edge and other Windows UWP apps work as they should.

13. Fyrd Win User

I read some of the theory. However I ran into an error. As I went into my C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep and hit the program.

System preparation Tool 3.14

Sysprep was not able to validate your Windows installation Review the log file at %WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther\setupact.log for details. After resolving the issue, use Sysprep to validate your installation again.

Windows 10 is just being a pain lol. I wonder what happened during the installation process. As this did not occur whenever I installed this on my laptop,

14. Kari Win User
    That usually indicates that Windows is an upgrade install, not a clean install. There's an easy fix:

Open registry editor (WIN + R, type regedit, hit Enter). Browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup, delete both the key Upgrade (left pane) and DWORD Upgrade (right pane):

You will get a warning that deleting these might be dangerous. It's not, just please believe me.

Now browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus, if either DWORD CleanupState or DWORD GeneralizationState has any other value than 7, change it to 7 by double clicking the DWORD in question and entering the new value:

(Screenshots and instructions from Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums, its last part called Upgrade.)

Now do as I told in my previous post, Sysprep should work now.

15. If Win10 is activated and you're willing to roll back to Win8, consider a Clean install if all esle fails to resolve the issue(s)

Kari has invested some time and provided a path - continue following Kari's instructions until you reach the end of that path.

Slartybart, Jun 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't open photos with built in administrator - Similar Threads - Can't open photos

2. Built-in administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Built-in administrator: Hi microsoft team , Recently an update failed to install on my hp laptop which has windows 10 home edition and now whenever I open any app it just shows THIS APP CAN"T OPEN Microsoft edge can't be opened using the built in administrator account Please help me with this...
  3. Can't Open Photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Open Photos: I Can't open photos, I get the following error "The app didn't start" don't know what to do, can someone help? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-photos/a3184dc1-9e42-4afd-b3cb-763be666ced2
  4. Built in Administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Built in Administrator: Help running Windows 10, and I am stuck in the Built in Administrator log-in. It started when I was tring to disable the log-in password for my account in Windows. I can not log-in to my user's account and do not see my profile. I have went the Users Account page in the...
  5. The ...cannot be opened with built-in administrator account problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    The ...cannot be opened with built-in administrator account problem: I am trying to help my neighbor upgrade to windows 10 from 8 (we have downgraded once because of these problems, and if I can't get this solved soon, I will have to do it again). In 8 apparently, she was using the builtin admin account as her primary/only account, though...
  6. Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator: I only have one user account on my Windows 10x64 Pro machine and it has administrator privileges with UAC turned off and has been that way ever since it was installed. Now whenever I try to open Microsoft Edge I get a pop-up that says: "Microsoft Edge can't be opened using...
  7. Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account

Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account: I can't use any of the panes (calendar, weather, store, etc.) on Windows 10. I receive a message "this app can't open. Mail can't be opened using the built in administration account. How to resolve this issue quickly and reliably? 32598
  8. App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.

App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.: [img] [img] I was getting UAC shields appearing on some of the icons. I found the solution how to get rid of them by going to the "Local Security Policy" > Local Policies > Security Options and disabling: User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode...
  9. Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account: I installed Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now I can't open Settings using my account (which is an administrator account). I apparently have to use a different account, but I don't have one, and with no access to Settings, I can't make another account. I tried booting into...
  10. "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account."

in Windows 10 Support
    "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account.": Hi all, Working on a Win10 touchscreen desktop for a friend who just got scammed by one those fake "call this number, your computer is infected" ads. She foolishly let somebody from Indian remote into her computer and install some fake "weather" software which just caused...