Windows 10: Can't open playback or recording devices in Windows 10

Discus and support Can't open playback or recording devices in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, for quite a few months now I have been unable to open the playback or recording devices on my windows 10 PC. Whenever I right click on my audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Lachieblue, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Can't open playback or recording devices in Windows 10

Hello, for quite a few months now I have been unable to open the playback or recording devices on my windows 10 PC. Whenever I right click on my audio and press sound, the settings will pop up for a brief moment and then immediately disappear, no matter what I do to open the settings, they always close down immediately after.

I do not remember when this first started happening but now it has become more of a problem so I am now trying to fix it.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

:)

Lachieblue, Aug 5, 2018

2. Frequent switching of playback and recording devices

Windows 10 user for a bit and have been seeing this as an 'issue' for quite a few versions of Windows.

I have x3 recording and x2-3 playback devices installed.

Recording

• Logitech Webcam (USB)
    • Plantronics Headset (USB)
    • Blue Yeti Pro (USB)
    Playback

• Bose Speakers (Speaker port on Dell touchscreen)
    • Plantronics Headset (USB)
    • Earbuds (headphones port - not always plugged in)
    Most are hardwired and one has a Bluetooth connection capability (Plantronics). I find myself often switching from one device to another, depending on the situation - recording, listening to music, taking a phone call, etc.

The current switching process is a bit cumbersome - right click the speaker in the taskbar, select playback or recording device and then picking whichever device. I find myself going thru this process x2-5 a day given whatever I am doing

It would seem to me that an app or icon / button selector would be ideal. Anyone aware of an app or device that might accommodate my need?

StevenGroves, Aug 5, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 5, 2018
  4. Aceman.au Win User

Can't open playback or recording devices in Windows 10

Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't open playback or recording devices in Windows 10

1. Can't open playback or recording devices in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't open playback

2. Windows can't recognize my headset in playback and recording tab

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows can't recognize my headset in playback and recording tab: Hello I've posted a thread recentlly about this, but had no anwers Recently i've bought HyperX Cloud Stinger, and one week ago i've bought Asus TUF Gaming A15Windows 10 64bits laptop. The headset only has jack 3.5mm cable. However has an extension with both speaker and mic...
  3. Earphone or external mic not showing up in playback device or recording device windows 10

Earphone or external mic not showing up in playback device or recording device windows 10: Hi Guys, I am having issue with 3.5 mm combo jack , I can use 3.5mm jack using earphone no issue with audio in earphone. Device details : Acer Nitro 4 AN515-31 Windows 10 HOME version : 2004 OS build : 19041.388 Audio driver : [ATTACH] Issue : 1. when i insert...
  4. Extra recording device only with the playback of one program?

Extra recording device only with the playback of one program?: Hey, is there a program that allows you to have an extra recording device on your PC, but which only plays the sound from a specific program? This means that if I have selected this recording device, it will only record the sound from one program. I want to select a...
  5. Gamebar recording / playback

Gamebar recording / playback: Hi. Can anyone help with my kids pc. He uses gamebar to capture clips of his games. And the last week or so hes not been able to play them back. Just gets a pop up saying format not supported. Im not sure if they are even recoding but the timer is moving . Thanks...
  6. Playback detecting Input Devices & Recording detecting Output Devices

in Windows 10 Support
    Playback detecting Input Devices & Recording detecting Output Devices: Hello! Today, I was playing SCP: Secret Laboratory. After I finished, I went and made tea. When I came back much later to play some more, I found that the in-game voice chat was not working for me; my microphone was not transmitting in-game. Looking into my Steam settings, I...
  7. USB Headphones not available as playback or recording device

USB Headphones not available as playback or recording device: I have a brand new HyperX Cloud II USB gaming headset with a microphone. It does not show up as either a playback or recording device. The only available output device is Realtek Digital Output. I have run the troubleshooter in the settings --> sound. The devices are not...
  8. Change Playback Device For Recording As Headset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Playback Device For Recording As Headset.: Whenever I use my Game DVR and record something on my Windows 10 computer the audio playback is picking up my voice from my monitor and NOT my headset, how do I get it to playback from my headset microphone? ***Changed Original Title From: Capture Voice Problem***...
  9. Headsets showing up in Playback Devices but not Recording Devices

Headsets showing up in Playback Devices but not Recording Devices: So I've troubleshooted with two headsets, both of them I'm getting output from, but neither microphones are working. I've uninstalled drivers, unplugged/restarted etc.. And one of them is a 3.5mm jack while the other is USB so it's not a port issue either. Would anybody...
  10. Headsets not appearing in sound devices (Recording, Playback, etc.)

Headsets not appearing in sound devices (Recording, Playback, etc.): I use an Acer Aspire with a hard drive pulled from a new Asus gaming laptop. Ever since making the change, every headset which I connect via the 3.5mm audio port have not appeared in the sound devices panel, although I can still hear sounds on my computer through them,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant open playback devices windows 10

2. no recoding device in windows 10

3. windeos 10 cant see recording devices

4. how do i access my playback and recording devices in windows 10,
  5. windows 10 cant access playback devices,
  6. open playback devices windows 10,
  7. why cant i playback recorded usb in widows 10,
  8. unable to open audio playback device 2018