Windows 10: Can't open settings + start menu not opening

Discus and support Can't open settings + start menu not opening in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't really have a whole lot of important files on my computer at the moment. I just want my start menu back lol. I need to do things for school and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Judson, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Judson Win User

Can't open settings + start menu not opening

I don't really have a whole lot of important files on my computer at the moment. I just want my start menu back lol. I need to do things for school and it is really inconvenient not being able to do anything *Sad Also, admittedly, I am not super computer savy. What do you mean by 'look for a replacement drive'?

Judson, Sep 17, 2017
  2. zbook New Member

The drive results were not yet posted (images of the scan results for health, benchmark, and surface scan).
    From what you described it is a drive that needs replacing.
    Your files are at risk of loss.

zbook, Sep 17, 2017
  3. dalchina New Member
    There is no point fixing Windows when your disk is failing. Sure, you might manage to get Windows up and running, then find your PC won't boot at all one day, or behave erratically.

Would you build a skyscraper on mud?

The key thing in this where you don't know anything about a PC is to try to establish basics before rushing into repair scenarios.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't open settings + start menu not opening

1. Can't open settings + start menu not opening - Similar Threads - Can't open settings

2. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  3. Start menu and settings does not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and settings does not open: I tried sfc /scannow Tried dism online health restoretried the powershell get restore commanddid a disk check, but none of this resolved the start menu error....
  4. Settings/start menu wont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings/start menu wont open: Hey new guy here my settings/start/volume/notifications wont open and apps wont open I've tried rebooting my windows explorer and didn't do anything my calculator app won't open either. I've been having alot of trouble with my account because my settings won't sync because it...
  5. Start menu and settings now opening

Start menu and settings now opening: My windows 10 settings will not open. It will just close and my start menu will not open. It will ask me to sign out. I had this problem before, but not at the same time....
  6. Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything

Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything: When I started my PC today I couldn't use the start menu and the toolbar wouldn't disappear in full screen videos also i tried to open settings it say that the settings don't exsist I have tried all the solutions I could find including on other discussion so what should I...
  7. Can't open Settings or Start Menu, taskbar visible in fullscreen

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open Settings or Start Menu, taskbar visible in fullscreen: So yeah.. title? I don't know how or why it happened. One day, it just kinda did, without any possible explanation. Please help me fix these problems, they're the only reason I went and made an account here. I previously had issues with this system, but none were as annoying...
  8. Settings and Start Menu won't open!

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings and Start Menu won't open!: A couple days ago my computer started acting funky and the next day my settings would crash every time I would open it I have tried running the troubleshooters and all the commands in PowerShell and cmd but nothing seems to work. Also, my start menu won't open even if I do...
  9. Windows 10 Can't open start menu or settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Can't open start menu or settings: So last week my computer updated to Windows 10, and ever since then I've been unable to open the start menu or open settings. When ever I click on the start menu button in the bottom corner it's process for a couple of seconds and then nothing will happen. The shortcut for...
  10. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu: I can't open my start menu and when I try to open some stuff. It happened a week ago when I was away from pc *Mad Screen capture - 4d26d594ea04bc174b8336a6835b92d8 - Gyazo P.s when my mouse is over the win button i am pressing. 20768

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface book cant open start menu or settings