Windows 10: Can't open some files in Documents

Discus and support Can't open some files in Documents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I think I have made a mess. I had a file called "password" in my document file, it was a "read only" file. There was another file called "passwords"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ladyovr60, Jun 28, 2018.

1. ladyovr60 Win User

Can't open some files in Documents

I think I have made a mess. I had a file called "password" in my document file, it was a "read only" file. There was another file called "passwords" out there too. It was not marked "read only" I have no idea how to make it not "read only" so I just renamed it. Now none of the files will open. I click it, the hour glass comes up, but it never opens. What can I do to fix this?
    Any help will be appreciated!

:)

ladyovr60, Jun 28, 2018

2. Allow open file standard attachments

Borrowing this list from Wikia: svg, odt, ods, odp, odg, odc, odf, odi, odm, ogg, ogv, oga

svg = Scale Vector Graphic
    odt = Open Document Text
    ods = Open Document Spreadsheet
    odp = Open Document Presentation
    odg = Open Document Graphics
    odf = Open Document Formula
    odi = Open Document Image
    odm = Open Document Master
    ogg = Ogg Vorbis
    ogv = Ogg Vorbis Video
    oga = Ogg Vorbis Audio

FordGT90Concept, Jun 28, 2018
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Jun 28, 2018
  4. esmorax Win User

Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list

Thanks for the tip! I followed all above steps.

So far I can open files from the Recent files list when I enter Word itself, however I still am unable to open any documents using the Word icon pinned to the taskbar:

Can't open some files in Documents [​IMG]

-

esmorax, Jun 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't open some files in Documents - Similar Threads - Can't open files

2. I can't open some Excel files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open some Excel files.: I can't open some Excel files from OneDrive or from MS Explorer. I get the following comment: "Cannot open the file because the file path is more than 259 characters. Try shortening the path or the filename". Similar files there are no issues. When I try changing the file...
  3. I can't open some Excel files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't open some Excel files.: I can't open some Excel files from OneDrive or from MS Explorer. I get the following comment: "Cannot open the file because the file path is more than 259 characters. Try shortening the path or the filename". Similar files there are no issues. When I try changing the file...
  4. can't open recovered C drive files but can't open any of the documents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can't open recovered C drive files but can't open any of the documents: I accidentally deleted a file word document from a flash drive E:, I attempted to restore/recover the file by Googling a how to using CMD, this created 12 Local Disk C: recovery file which has several PDF files titled by random numbers that I cannot open_any advice? assuming...
  5. Can't open excel documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open excel documents: If I download excel documents on windows 10 I can't open them, not with excel nor sheets, those apps don't show up when I try to choose an app to open the file with. They do have the ".xlxs" at the end but the pc doesn't recognize them for some reason. I tried with files sent...
  6. files not opening in documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files not opening in documents: None of my docs XLS etc files are connected tot he app and I cannot open them - what do I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-not-opening-in-documents/2fa36e32-22d9-40d8-a6d8-f86294dbe757
  7. Can't open or print saved documents or files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open or print saved documents or files: Ever since the recent Windows 10 Update, I can no longer open or print any documents or files at all. If I try to open or print it says I don't have an app to perform this . . ? I am at a loss. I have never not been able to open a document....
  8. Can't open documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open documents: In Word, trying to open documents w/i particular file. I get a pop-up: "Word experienced error trying to open the file. Try: -Check the file permissions for the document; -Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space; -Open the file with the Text Recovery...
  9. secure document can't be opened

in Windows 10 Customization
    secure document can't be opened: How do I grant permission for envelope tools to run? TY B. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-document-cant-be-opened/17b5842d-bc2f-4d4f-a528-5d9e3f3d4adb
  10. Can't open documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open documents: I have windows10 installed but some virus infected my firefox browser and i had no option but to refresh my pc which i didn't know would install windows again ,previously when i upgraded to windows 10 from windows7 .. i could see windows.old folder in which i had all my 7's...