Windows 10: Can't open start menu, chime constantly sounding

Discus and support Can't open start menu, chime constantly sounding in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Starting a couple of days ago my Windows 10 computer start menu stopped opening (although I can still right click on it to shut down). This coincided... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by regnad, Dec 22, 2015.

1. regnad Win User

Can't open start menu, chime constantly sounding

Starting a couple of days ago my Windows 10 computer start menu stopped opening (although I can still right click on it to shut down). This coincided with a chime constantly sounding. I'm not sure if this is related, but there is a pending notification on the lower right, but I can't open that to see what it says.

I tried reinstalling Windows apps with powershell, but this didn't do the trick.

I'm at my wit's end. This chime is driving me crazy. *Sad

:)

regnad, Dec 22, 2015

2. No Chime on Startup

I changed the Registry values (from 1 to 0) for Windows Logon, Windows Logoff and System Exit so these options would be visible in the Sound menu.

I applied the sound file for Windows XP for the Logoff option and chimed when I tested it. I also applied the same sound to Windows Theme Change. I get a chime when I activate a change in Windows theme, but silence when my PC starts up.

Please help.

GibsonGirl55, Dec 22, 2015
  3. Backspace chime (within Skype)

This is caused by a system sound, not sure how to disable it in skype but you can disable it at the system level.

Open up the control panel go to sound>change system sounds, find 'default beep' in the list of windows sounds, click it and in the drop down menu at the bottom change it from 'windows background' to 'none'. bam no more annoying chime bell thing.

Wereshadow, Dec 22, 2015
  4. regnad Win User

Is this a stumper?

If this will help, let me say a bit more. Often, but not always, when I start up the computer, it never makes it to the user log in page, but is just stuck with a black screen and a little blue loading circle.

Also every time I go to my desktop, the shortcut little arrow icons turn into green check mark icons. I read elsewhere that right clicking on the desktop and choosing refresh solves this, which it does for me, but it does it again next time I start up.

I never had any problems like these in Windows 7. *Sad

regnad, Dec 26, 2015
  5. hTconeM9user, Dec 26, 2015
  6. regnad Win User
    Yes, I did that, and nothing came up.

regnad, Dec 26, 2015
  7. Hi have you done a clean install if you have then I am out of ideas,
    Hopefully someone else may come up with something as I have never come across that problem on any of the systems I have upgraded including windows 7

hTconeM9user, Dec 26, 2015
  8. davidhk Win User

2 suggestions :

1. Since it happened only "a couple of days ago", please do a system restore. Pick a date BEFIORE "a couple of days ago " as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

2. If the above does not help, do an in-place upgrade, also known as repair install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

davidhk, Dec 26, 2015
  9. davidhk Win User
    Adding............
    You said, " I tried reinstalling Windows apps with powershell."

Did you do this one ?
    If not, give this a try too. But do the system restore method first.

Right click at it > click Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter key.
    At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line ( to avoid typo it's best to apply Copy/paste method)......
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

davidhk, Dec 26, 2015
  10. regnad Win User
    Yes, that's the one I did.

I tried a system restore twice, both times the computer restarted telling me it hadn't been done successfully.

So is the repair install my only option left at this point?

regnad, Dec 26, 2015
  11. davidhk Win User
    Seems like Repair install is in order.

davidhk, Dec 26, 2015
  12. regnad Win User
    I did the powershell reinstall again just to make sure. It gives me a ton of red text. I can't seem to select to copy it here, but lots of "cannot find path 'c:\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist."

regnad, Dec 26, 2015
  13. davidhk Win User

Repair install, please.

davidhk, Dec 26, 2015
  14. regnad Win User
    That did the trick! Thank you very much for your help!

regnad, Dec 27, 2015
  15. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.
    Please mark this thread as Solved.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Dec 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't open start menu, chime constantly sounding - Similar Threads - Can't open start

2. Constant chime after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant chime after update: This constant chime happened before but randomly went away on its own. Now I just did the latest update for to only return and more aggressively so. I have to do work on this computer and this chiming is driving me insane and my ability to focus is just in shambles. I...
  3. Constant chime after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant chime after update: This constant chime happened before but randomly went away on its own. Now I just did the latest update for to only return and more aggressively so. I have to do work on this computer and this chiming is driving me insane and my ability to focus is just in shambles. I...
  4. Sound / Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound / Start menu: Hello , When I try to open the start / sound menu then hover my cursor off it , it disappears . It may not seem as a problem but I am struggling with it because I multitask. Thank you....
  5. Sound / Start menu

Sound / Start menu: Hello , When I try to open the start / sound menu then hover my cursor off it , it disappears . It may not seem as a problem but I am struggling with it because I multitask. Thank you....
  6. Sound / Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. settings, start menu, sound won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    settings, start menu, sound won't open: settings, sound, start menu won't open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-start-menu-sound-wont-open/8a4f2b06-fdd4-43bd-bd10-584f4f2d52f9
  8. Can't open programs from the start menu

Can't open programs from the start menu: Hi, everyone. So this issue just started happening today. I am currently on the anniversary build and when I search for a program in the start menu and try to open it, it won't open. Things like run, Chrome, etc. all won't open. Basic windows apps such as the calculator seem...
  9. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu: I can't open my start menu and when I try to open some stuff. It happened a week ago when I was away from pc *Mad Screen capture - 4d26d594ea04bc174b8336a6835b92d8 - Gyazo P.s when my mouse is over the win button i am pressing. 20768
  10. Can't open settings + start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open settings + start menu not opening: Having issues opening my start menu/settings. Cannot use hotkeys to open them nor cmd prompts. Can still run task manager but I am having issues resolving this problem. I have tried creating a new user and switching to that account but no dice. Any help would be immensely...