Windows 10: Can't open windows 10 start button or Explorer

Discus and support Can't open windows 10 start button or Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, in need of some help. Just booted up my laptop and tried to open the start up icon for Windows and it'd not responding. Also I'm unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jemma87, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Jemma87 Win User

Can't open windows 10 start button or Explorer

Hi all, in need of some help.
    Just booted up my laptop and tried to open the start up icon for Windows and it'd not responding. Also I'm unable to open Explorer it's telling me 'class not registered' does anyone know what's happened?

:)

Jemma87, Feb 7, 2017

2. no start button on windows 10

I have no start button and windows 10 windows search button is not working. From outlook express I cannot when mail is opened go to a link in that mail directly to explorer to open that link. But no start button is the most problematic as I do not have a
    power button now for restart or closing the PC down and power off.

I cannot open more explorers just one at the time, so I cannot cascade several open window in explorer to compare.

These are the main things that are wrong in windows 10 that I downloaded.

AlberdinaCowell, Feb 7, 2017
  3. Problems with Win10 Windows Explorer

When I say the Windows Explorer locks up, I mean that when I put my mouse cursor over either the bottom task bar or the windows explorer (if it is opened), it will show the "busy" cursor where I can't select anything (including the start button). It will
    stay "busy" until I log off or if the windows explorer is opened I can restart it using tbe task manager, (right click/restart). So I'm assuming it has something to do with the explorer. Everything else is working okay, but since I can't get to the start
    button, I can't open anything new.

The article suggested only dealt with Win7 or 8. I'm using Win10

Thanks

EmmettGonzales, Feb 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, no idea what's happened, I'm afraid, my crystal ball's down for scheduled maintenance. *Smile

Do you have any system restore points you can use? If so, I suggest you try that.

Otherwise, do you know what you last changed that might have been significant? If you installed something in the last day, for example, you could try uninstalling it. You might be lucky.

I'll assume you've not yet discovered how truly valuable routine disk imaging is, which we strongly and repeatedly recommend so you can help yourself to recover from difficult situations relatively quickly.

Otherwise, here's what I suggest: do an in-place upgrade repair install.

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

Recommendation:
    Before you perform the following major repair procedure, do create a disk image (see below).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Tutorials
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain a Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a Win 10 bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - However: if you have installed some on a 2nd drive, these must be uninstalled or reinstalled on C: - else you will get an error message that you can not keep my apps because they arein an unsupported directory.
    - no personal data should be affected
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Feb 8, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't open windows 10 start button or Explorer - Similar Threads - Can't open start

2. Open button is missing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open button is missing in file explorer: Hi,I have the following problem: whenever I click on a file in the internet browser, the file browser opens and I have only two options what to do with the file: Save and Cancel, Open button is missing. I used to open word documents, mp3s, etc. directly, without saving them...
  3. Open button is missing in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open button is missing in file explorer: Hi,I have the following problem: whenever I click on a file in the internet browser, the file browser opens and I have only two options what to do with the file: Save and Cancel, Open button is missing. I used to open word documents, mp3s, etc. directly, without saving them...
  4. Can't open the Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open the Explorer: Hello,I can't open the explorer anymore, because I deleted the TrustedInstaller Group in the Registry. I can't open it with Cmd or with the Shortcut. I tried to restore the TrustedInstaller and searched for the Issues Codes, but nothing works....
  5. Can't open the Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open the Explorer: Hello,I can't open the explorer anymore, because I deleted the TrustedInstaller Group in the Registry. I can't open it with Cmd or with the Shortcut. I tried to restore the TrustedInstaller and searched for the Issues Codes, but nothing works....
  6. Start Button and Windows Explorer not opening amongst other things

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Button and Windows Explorer not opening amongst other things: Hi When I log into Windows, some things have stopped working. Clicking the Start button at the bottom left is not working. Also I can not open Windows Explorer. When I click on a shortcut for it, I get two messages: explorer.exe. windows cannot access the specified device,...
  7. Start button wont open

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start button wont open: Cant open start icon cant open explorer cant open PFD files I have 22 new updates cant access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-wont-open/2d1e7a2c-b002-4f6d-afda-27f3a2c3bd7e
  8. cannot open start button and Explorer says class not registered

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot open start button and Explorer says class not registered: Windows 10 cannot open start button and Explorer says class not registered https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/cannot-open-start-button-and-explorer-says-class/d9d20054-d711-4e6c-af01-ba4aeceb1c7b
  9. Can't Open App Store or Windows/Start Button on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Open App Store or Windows/Start Button on Windows 10: Hey, all! So, I just updated to Windows 10 today, and I'm having some problems. 1) I click on the Windows/Start button on my desktop... and nothing happens. What's up with this and how can I fix it? 2) I can't open the App Store. It will not open from the button on the...
  10. Windows 10 Start button or apps dont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start button or apps dont open: First off i dont know if this is where i put this. Secondly, my issue is that when i click on the windows start button it doesnt open or do anything. Also if i wanted to use the windows 10 xbox app that wont open as well. Task manager is slow and so is file explorer. I have...