Windows 10: Can't Perform Clean Boot

Discus and support Can't Perform Clean Boot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, For some reason I am unable to perform a clean boot. I'm following the instructions on the Microsoft page carefully but it's not working. I'll... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ouroboros72, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Can't Perform Clean Boot

Hi,

For some reason I am unable to perform a clean boot. I'm following the instructions on the Microsoft page carefully but it's not working. I'll explain what's happening with a screenshot in the hope someone can give me some pointers.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...indows-10.aspx

Basically, I am following the instructions to the letter, and it all looks ok, but when my system restarts, I go back straight back into system configuration and click on the services tab and the 'hide all Microsoft services' box has unchecked itself, also scrolling down the list only a small number of services remain unticked, and both 'enable all' and disable all' functions are available, as per screenshot;

Can't Perform Clean Boot [​IMG]

Obviously this isn't how it should be because there are steps in Microsofts 'How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting' procedure which include, 'clear the check box beside Hide all Microsoft services'. But it's already clear when it should be in clean boot mode. And most of the services are running.

The part of the procedure where I go into startup and disable all the items seems to work ok, they are all still disabled when I reboot.

I wondered if it was something to do with my HP Support Assistant, so I disabled that and tried the procedure again, to no avail.

Microsofts best advice was a system restore but I'm not keen on that.

Has anyone come across anything like this before?

:)

ouroboros72, Mar 3, 2016

2. A whole list of issues...

I performed a clean boot, there was no change.

Can't open certain programs

Can't uninstall certain programs

:-(

Blood Secrets, Mar 3, 2016
  3. auggy Win User
    auggy, Mar 3, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Can't Perform Clean Boot

Brink, Mar 3, 2016
  5. Hi,

thanks for your reply.

The only difference between what I was doing and your instructions was your part at the beginning where in system configuration on the general tab, you say to uncheck the 'load startup items' box. So I did that, infact I followed your instructions to the letter, but when my system rebooted that particular box had re-checked itself and I was getting exactly the same result as before (as per my screenshot).

Worth a try though.

Idk, my system just won't let me clean boot for some reason. Thanks anyway.

ouroboros72, Mar 3, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Try doing PART THREE in the tutorial first for default settings, then start over to see if that helps.

Brink, Mar 3, 2016
  7. kkehoe Win User
    Clean boot, by definition, is a startup mode with all non-Microsoft programs and services disabled.

The "Hide all Microsoft Services" check box is not a static selection. It just hides them "for the moment" so you don't have to hunt through a long list to find non-MS services. It also allows the Enable/Disable All buttons to apply to non-MS services only.

That box will always be unchecked when you first open MSCONFIG. If a tutorial says to clear that checkbox, it's wrong, unless you're still in the original MSCONFIG session where you checked it.

Again, in a clean boot, all Microsoft services remain in their default configuration and will be either running or stopped, not disabled. If your non-Microsoft services and Startup programs are disabled then you ARE in a clean boot mode. I don't think you have a problem.

Kevin

kkehoe, Mar 4, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Can't Perform Clean Boot

Hello Kevin,

I don't think ouroboros has a problem either, but felt that using OPTION THREE to reset back to normal should help him start over to make following the tutorial easier for him. *Smile

Brink, Mar 4, 2016
  9. I gave it a go but still no joy unfortunately. Whatever I do it still starts as per original screen shot when it's supposed to be in clean boot.

What I noticed was, even after doing your step 3, (checking 'normal startup' on general tab, and enabling all services 'hide all' box unchecked, and all items in start up enabled) then restarting ....when it boots up (supposedly now in normal mode), if I go into config, the general tab is as following screenshot;

fig2

So it seems as if it never actually boots up in 'normal startup' mode to start with, (although at this stage all services in list are ticked and all items in startup are enabled).

But from here, if I go through your procedure from step 1, and just uncheck the 'load startup items' box on general, etc, etc, then when I reboot, it will always be as my original screenshot (with only a small number of services remaining unchecked and the 'hide all' box having unchecked itself). The following screenshot in how it now looks in general tab (so when it's supposed to be in clean boot);

fig3

I'm not sure whats going on in that 'load system services box there. It's all quite confusing.

ouroboros72, Mar 4, 2016
  10. Sorry, just saw this.

That's interesting, it sounds like I might be getting some wonky instruction from the 'Microsoft Community' forum techs then.

This is the original link they referred me to;

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

.... and if you scroll down to the section about 'How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting' it's giving me instructions to uncheck that 'hide all services' (so while in a different session).

I gave them the same screenshots and they told me that as I was clearly unable to perform a clean boot, I should do a system restore. They may well have me just chasing my tail. They gave me some other advice about something related to all this that was contradicted by someone here, and when I asked some pointed questions about that they just dissapeared. It feels like they're reading off a sheet!

I appreciate your response.

ouroboros72, Mar 4, 2016
  11. "That box will always be unchecked when you first open MSCONFIG. If a tutorial says to clear that checkbox, it's wrong, unless you're still in the original MSCONFIG session where you checked it."

To me what kkehoe says above seems to contradict step 21 in your tutorial??

(although in fairness I am pretty tech clueless)

ouroboros72, Mar 4, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    He's referring to that for a clean boot.

Step 21 in PART THREE is to just return you back to the default normal mode after you have finished troubleshooting using clean boot. *Smile

Brink, Mar 4, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Can't Perform Clean Boot

What does your Startup tab in Task Manager show after you have restarted for a clean boot?

Brink, Mar 4, 2016
  14. But that would be a 'different session' than when I checked it in normal startup mode setting up for clean boot, so it would have automatically unchecked itself again when I restarted in supposedly 'clean boot mode' (i.e. a new session). At least that's my understanding of what he's saying. So it will always be unchecked again after a restart.

ouroboros72, Mar 4, 2016
  15. On Startup tab in Task Manager, all items are disabled in clean boot mode, as per following screenshot;

Fig4

So that seems promising. It's just the services which seem to have a mind of their own.

ouroboros72, Mar 4, 2016
Thema:

Can't Perform Clean Boot

1. Can't Perform Clean Boot - Similar Threads - Can't Perform Clean

2. How to perform a clean boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to perform a clean boot?: How do I perform a clean boot state, what does this mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot/945abdd8-02ad-4e7c-be6f-1cce41fd8601
  3. How to perform a clean boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to perform a clean boot?: How do I perform a clean boot state, what does this mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot/945abdd8-02ad-4e7c-be6f-1cce41fd8601
  4. Unable to login after performing clean boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to login after performing clean boot: My Vostro 5402 was having problem allocating virtual memory not related to the current topic so I thought it might be having problem loading settings so I decided to listen to guides on the internet and do a clean boot. However, after restarting the lock screen said there was...
  5. Unable to login after performing clean boot

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to login after performing clean boot: My Vostro 5402 was having problem allocating virtual memory not related to the current topic so I thought it might be having problem loading settings so I decided to listen to guides on the internet and do a clean boot. However, after restarting the lock screen said there was...
  6. Unable to login after performing clean boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Can't login after clean boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't login after clean boot: I followed the steps here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd to clean boot, but I forgot to check Hide All Microsoft Services. Now when I get to the login screen I see "Something happened and...
  8. Can't login after performing clean boot

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't login after performing clean boot: Hello, While performing clean boot process I made a mistake. I didn't tick the box with 'hide all microsoft services' and I clicked disable all..... Now I'm stucked up in login page where I can't login with pin or Microsoft password.. Please me out. Thank you....
  9. No log in screen after trying to Perform Clean Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No log in screen after trying to Perform Clean Boot: I had a app preventing shut down problem so i tried to perform clean boot as per following: Press Windows key + X key. And select Run. Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select theHide all...
  10. Need help performing a clean install with a dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help performing a clean install with a dual boot: You guys were right - I should have performed a clean install (if you remember). I have a 1TB drive with a messed up Windows 10 FCU. I am only using about 250GB - so I have 750GB in which to install a clean version of Windows 10. I need instructions on how to partition my...