Windows 10: Can't pin a particular program to the Start Menu

Discus and support Can't pin a particular program to the Start Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; For some reason, I cannot pin Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword to my Start menu. I am 100% sure that it is not already pinned, and I even tried making... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by stamminator, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Can't pin a particular program to the Start Menu

For some reason, I cannot pin Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword to my Start menu. I am 100% sure that it is not already pinned, and I even tried making a shortcut to the executable and pinning that, but it didn't work either. The location of the file is C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe if that's relevant. This issue isn't taking place for any other programs.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

EDIT: I figured it out. It looks like, at least in this case, I had to add shortcuts to the executable into my C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder. After I did that, pinning those shortcuts made pins appear. Leaving this here as a solution for others to stumble upon.

:)

stamminator, Apr 27, 2016

2. Recent file list for programs pinned to start gone in Win 10 AU

No, just the update. The programs that I had pinned to start are still pinned, I just can't get to the recent files menu attached to each anymore.

Thank you.

JohnMangiantini, Apr 27, 2016
  3. Cant pin some programs to taskbar in win 10

Certain files can't be Pinned to the Taskbar or Start menu because the programmer of that particular software has set some exclusions. For example a host application like rundll32.exe can't be pinned and there is no point Pinning it.

See the MSDN documentation here.

Application User Model IDs (AppUserModelIDs) (Windows) :
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd378459%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

and my earlier post here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/remove-pin-to-taskbar-particular-application-windows-7/

If you think the "Pin to Taskbar" option is missing for valid items, pls post back with the program name and its executable file name.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Apr 27, 2016
Thema:

Can't pin a particular program to the Start Menu

1. Can't pin a particular program to the Start Menu - Similar Threads - Can't pin particular

2. Can't pin documents to start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't pin documents to start menu: I'm sorry if someone has asked this already. I can't find an answer easily.I am very frustrated at seeming to be unable to pin documents to the start menu or Quick Access like I could with Windows 10. I want to be able to get to my favourite documents within two clicks,...
  3. Can't pin documents to start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't pin documents to start menu: I'm sorry if someone has asked this already. I can't find an answer easily.I am very frustrated at seeming to be unable to pin documents to the start menu or Quick Access like I could with Windows 10. I want to be able to get to my favourite documents within two clicks,...
  4. Pinned program not shown in the start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned program not shown in the start menu: Hi sirs,I'd like to add a portable program to the start menu, but it doesn't appear even though I just added it using the commandHow to deal with this issue?...
  5. Pinned program not shown in the start menu

Pinned program not shown in the start menu: Hi sirs,I'd like to add a portable program to the start menu, but it doesn't appear even though I just added it using the commandHow to deal with this issue?...
  6. Can't pin clock on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't pin clock on Start Menu: When I open the Alarm and Clock app, go to the Clock tab and select the time I want to pin to Start Menu it doesn't show up. If I select to pin it again, it will give me the option to unpin it from the Star Menu, even though it's not pinned. So basically the system it's...
  7. Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu: I am unable to pin certain programs to the start menu. Please see the video below. I downloaded and installed a utility called FileTypesMan. When I attempt to pin it to the start menu, and then perform a search for it, it does not show up in the search results. Please advise....
  8. Cannot pin programs to start menu

Cannot pin programs to start menu: Not all the programs I have installed appear on the start menu (all apps). Even if I right click the relevant exe file (from file explorer) and select pin to start menu it does not appear. If I select pin to taskbar that works! 40527
  9. Can't pin apps to start-menu.

Can't pin apps to start-menu.: Is this really a limitation for win10? Obviously apps can be pinned as tiles, but it's impossible to pin them to the left area? *Huh It seems that only a select list of folders can be pinned there, but not apps, or any personal folders. You're stuck with some automated...
  10. Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?: Win 10 64bit Build 10162 Not sure if I've done this in the course of hacking the registry but I can no longer pin anything to Start Menu by right clicking on an .exe in the File Explorer and choosing 'Pin to Start' from the context menu. I don't get an error message but...