Windows 10: Can't pin certain desktop shortcuts to taskbar

Discus and support Can't pin certain desktop shortcuts to taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm using MS Office and find some Desktop shortcuts will not pin to the Taskbar. My Desktop shortcut to Outlook pins just fine but, shortcuts to FILES... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by donwb, Feb 28, 2015.

1. donwb Win User

Can't pin certain desktop shortcuts to taskbar

I'm using MS Office and find some Desktop shortcuts will not pin to the Taskbar.
    My Desktop shortcut to Outlook pins just fine but, shortcuts to FILES will not pin or drag'
    For example, I have a Desktop shortcut to a "something.xls" (Excel) file which, when clicked, opens in Excel.
    But if I right click on it, the context menu does not give a pin to Taskbar option.
    On the other hand, Outlook when right clicked does.

Help please

:)

donwb, Feb 28, 2015
  2. belltown Win User

How do I add a shortcut to the Taskbar on Windows 10

On the Desktop, I created a shortcut to my network connections using right-click>New>Shortcut and entering
    control netconnections in the item location box. Now I have the shortcut on the desktop and it works as it should. However, I have not been able to add it to the Taskbar. It won't let me drag it to the Taskbar, and there's no right-click option
    to 'Pin to taskbar', only 'Pin to Start'.

How do I pin my network connections shortcut to the Taskbar?

belltown, Feb 28, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Microsoft Edge

Try right clicking the Edge shortcut on the start menu, select 'More' and see if 'Pin to Taskbar' is there

If it is not, follow this method:

Drag Edge shortcut from Start Menu to the desktop (don't worry this only duplicates the shortcut)

The right click the shortcut on the desktop and select 'Pin to Taskbar'

You can then delete the shortcut on the desktop if you wish . . .

I hope this is the answer you are looking for!

DaveM121, Feb 28, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 28, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    See pictures below as additional explanation.

Can't pin certain desktop shortcuts to taskbar [​IMG]

6. donwb Win User
    Thanks for the reply whs.
    I tried dragging the File's shortcut to Explorer,
    but when I right clicked Explorer, It wasn't there?

donwb, Mar 1, 2015
  7. donwb Win User
    Hi Shawn

Yes I'd found this out earlier, but had hoped I could get the actual file's shortcut on the Taskbar, as is possible in Windows 7.

donwb, Mar 1, 2015
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

If you drag it in Windows 7 to the taskbar, it also ends up in the explorer icon. Same thing here.

9. Edwin New Member
    @ donwb :
    Take that document and file it somewhere in C: not to be moved.
    Go to your desktop and right click, choose 'New'>'Shortcut',
    In the dialog type explorer then a space, then go to that file, press and hold 'Shift' then right click on the file and choose 'Copy as path', then paste that into the shortcut creation dialog and press 'Next'; name it whatever you wish and click finish.
    File explorer icon will be the default but you can change it by right clicking on the shortcut, choose 'Properties'>'Change icon'. (You may have to round up an appropriate icon from the internet and store it in a place not to be moved, (remember it has to be an .ico type (icon file).
    Then you can drag that to the taskbar and delete the desktop shortcut if you wish.

Edwin, Mar 1, 2015
  10. donwb Win User
    Hi Edwin

Many thanks for your solution to pinning files to the taskbar.
    It worked perfectly.
    Apologies for the delay in replying

don

donwb, Mar 13, 2015
  11. BenLev Win User
    HOW could you possible know this? Thank you.

BenLev, Aug 12, 2016
  12. Soooo i had this problem also on windows 8, BUT i did solve this problem. the program that you wish to pin, simply open the program then alt+tab back to windows, right click on the program and click Pin to task bar.

onlyresonimhere, Sep 5, 2016
  13. nomisuke Win User

First of all, my sincerest apologies for necroing this thread, but I needed to give credit where credit is due. This is my very first post in Windows TenForums and I hope to become a viable member of the community with what limited knowledge I may have.

I wanted to thank Edwin for his suggestion to tag the shortcut as an explorer file, thus tricking Windows into believing it is part of the explorer executable family. Through this quick and easy fix, I was able to pin a BAT file to my taskbar that was driving me absolutely INSANE. I went so far as attempting to make it into an executable file, but Defender would always flag it as a virus. By using this method and entering the BAT file path after "explorer", I was able to change the icon as well as set it up to execute as administrator, which bybasses all UAC warnings and other popups. Now, when I click the icon on my taskbar, it performs the BAT flawlessly and goes directly to my program, exactly what I was hoping to do from day one.

Thanks again, Edwin.

nomisuke, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't pin certain desktop shortcuts to taskbar - Similar Threads - Can't pin certain

2. I can't pin my game shortcuts to the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't pin my game shortcuts to the taskbar: I have a bunch of games I purchased off of GoG good old games. I installed one of them tonight and tried to pin the shortcut to its executable to my taskbar. However, when I hover the icon over the taskbar, it either asks me to pin it to the icon already there which I don't...
  3. I can't pin my game shortcuts to the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't pin my game shortcuts to the taskbar: I have a bunch of games I purchased off of GoG good old games. I installed one of them tonight and tried to pin the shortcut to its executable to my taskbar. However, when I hover the icon over the taskbar, it either asks me to pin it to the icon already there which I don't...
  4. I can't pin my game shortcuts to the taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. reordering pinned taskbar shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reordering pinned taskbar shortcuts: I have 4 word documents pinned to the taskbar shortcut menu - when I right-click the word tab on the taskbar, they pop up along with recently used Word files. Is there any way to reorder the pinned files?...
  6. reordering pinned taskbar shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reordering pinned taskbar shortcuts: I have 4 word documents pinned to the taskbar shortcut menu - when I right-click the word tab on the taskbar, they pop up along with recently used Word files. Is there any way to reorder the pinned files?...
  7. reordering pinned taskbar shortcuts

8. Pinned shortcuts to taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pinned shortcuts to taskbar: Hi, Shortcuts pinned to Edge and Excel on tasksbar in Windows 10 cannot be moved up and down with the mouse like I used to in Windows 7. Is this no longer possible in Windows 10 or do I have an error or setting that can be fixed? If so any suggestions are welcome....
  9. Pin simple desktop shortcut to taskbar

Pin simple desktop shortcut to taskbar: Using Windows 10, created a simple shortcut to take me to the desktop. Want to pin it to the Taskbar so I can easily get back tot he desktop at anytime. Yes I know you can click on the far right of the bar on the bottom of the screen, but as far as I can tell you have to be...
  10. Pin shortcut to Sound to taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcut to Sound to taskbar: I have a shortcut to ControlPanel/Sound: %windir%\system32\mmsys.cpl which I'd like to pin to the taskbar. The open window has no pin option. I tried dragging mmsys.cpl to the tasbar, which created a pinned icon but the icon brings up the Default programs window, not sound....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why cant some desktop shortcuts be pinned to start

2. Cant pin shortcuts to outlook

3. cant taskbar shortcuts