Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

Discus and support Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015.

1. alphanumeric New Member

Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if that matters. I can right click and select Pin to Start, but nothing happens. Right click again and Pin To Start is still listed as an option, but doesn't do anything?

Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? [​IMG]

:)

alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015
  2. justabloke69 Win User

Start Menu doesn't update, items won't move

Hey

My start menu (the bit to the right when you click on Start with the squares) won't update when I "pin" items to it. I can move some things around but other items won't move. (for example the Samsung KIES tile won't move and can't be unpinned.

Other items that I pin don't appear.

If I reboot some the changes I make appear (but KIES won't move/disappear).

Is there some way to force it to refresh?

Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? [​IMG]

justabloke69, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Jenith_James Win User
    can't pin items to the Start Menu in Windows 10

Hi Ambarish,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you.

This issue could be due to corrupted system files. I would have you run the system file checker scan and see if it fixes the issue.

SFC (System File Checker) is a tool which scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

Refer the following article for more information on using SFC tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If the issue persists, you may repair the Windows Image and check if it helps.

• Type command prompt in the start screen.
    • Right click on the command prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
    • Type the below command and press enter.
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Slartybart Win User

The MS games are a bit wonky. I had to reinstall them on a few preview releases because they either were not upgraded with everything else (the tiles didn't migrate, not an update to the games) or the games didn't load.

This might be due to their being associated with Games Explorer - not sure. Games Explorer is all I want anyway - try pinning that one or drag & drop it.

See if you can drag & drop the game from All apps to Start. I just tried both (pin to Start, and drag & drop for two different games) with success.

I'll try it on my Win7 upgraded box, but the games will have to be installed on that so it sort of invalidates the test. I'll post back later if I don't forget *Wink.

Slartybart, Aug 2, 2015
  5. alphanumeric New Member
    I've never had an issue in Windows 7 or 8.1. They seen fine on my other PC's that I upgraded to Windows 10. Dragging and dropping works. Didn't know you could do that actually? Thanks for the reply. Problem solved I guess?

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? - Similar Threads - Can't pin items

2. when i put my pictures on screen display they are stretched??

in Windows 10 Customization
    when i put my pictures on screen display they are stretched??: I select groups of pictures from albums, and some are stretched in width?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_screensave/when-i-put-my-pictures-on-screen-display-they-are/ce8c43f3-6ef1-4e9b-adfa-1aac2bea57d6
  3. Problem with some kind of malware, worm, RAT, not sure.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with some kind of malware, worm, RAT, not sure.: Some guys, old male aquaintances, boyfriends, etc, I used to know, a lot, hackers, and other people, got into my computer and have been watching me. a lot of the pages are edited and they also do stuff like flash the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and changing what my...
  4. Adjusting My Screen Brightness

Adjusting My Screen Brightness: I have a Probook 470 G5, and suddenly my f3 and f4 keys wont work, and I can't adjust my screens brightness. I've read about uninstalling/deleting my current display adapter, but I don't know which one I should uninstall. Send help for my poor eyes at night....
  5. Start Screen Issues (Windows 10 v1803)

Start Screen Issues (Windows 10 v1803): I recently acquired a new work laptop running Windows 10 v1803. I have elected an image from my Pictures folder to be used as my lock screen image. I also have "Show lock screen background picture in the sign-in screen" selected. However, every time I turn on my PC I was met...
  6. black screen on right side of opening page

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    black screen on right side of opening page: We need to fix your Microsoft account(most likely your password has changed). Select here to fix it in Shared experience settings.9.09a...
  7. Desktop Computer goes black screen, then shut off and won't turn on again

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop Computer goes black screen, then shut off and won't turn on again: Hi, Recently one of my friends called me and said that his desktop computer went black screen, then shut off and won't turn back on again. He gave me a camera view of the back of it and the power source light was still on, but again, he couldn't turn the physical PC on...
  8. Windows 10 April Update black screen

Windows 10 April Update black screen: I have a Dell Inspiron 14 3451 laptop with Intel Celeron N2840 processor. Each time i try to upgrade to the April update, my laptop works for a few seconds then the screen turns black. I had to downgrade to the Fall creators update as a result. Is this because of the graphics...
  9. Updated: Black screen, little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN,...

Updated: Black screen, little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN,...: I shut down my laptop last night, get the dreaded black screen, and the little white box that tells me I have lost personal setting, AGAIN, really. Why is this still a problem, and like someone else posted... Why can we not opt out of updates...
  10. Cannot remove old account from login screen

Cannot remove old account from login screen: When I turn on my computer I get the old user ID and have to click on new user ID on bottom left portion of screen to sign in with new user ID. How do I remove the old user ID from login screen?...