Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

Discus and support Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015.

1. alphanumeric New Member

Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if that matters. I can right click and select Pin to Start, but nothing happens. Right click again and Pin To Start is still listed as an option, but doesn't do anything?

[​IMG]

:)

alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015
  2. justabloke69 Win User

Start Menu doesn't update, items won't move

Hey

My start menu (the bit to the right when you click on Start with the squares) won't update when I "pin" items to it. I can move some things around but other items won't move. (for example the Samsung KIES tile won't move and can't be unpinned.

Other items that I pin don't appear.

If I reboot some the changes I make appear (but KIES won't move/disappear).

Is there some way to force it to refresh?

[​IMG]

justabloke69, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Jenith_James Win User
    can't pin items to the Start Menu in Windows 10

Hi Ambarish,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you.

This issue could be due to corrupted system files. I would have you run the system file checker scan and see if it fixes the issue.

SFC (System File Checker) is a tool which scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

Refer the following article for more information on using SFC tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If the issue persists, you may repair the Windows Image and check if it helps.

• Type command prompt in the start screen.
    • Right click on the command prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
    • Type the below command and press enter.
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Slartybart Win User

The MS games are a bit wonky. I had to reinstall them on a few preview releases because they either were not upgraded with everything else (the tiles didn't migrate, not an update to the games) or the games didn't load.

This might be due to their being associated with Games Explorer - not sure. Games Explorer is all I want anyway - try pinning that one or drag & drop it.

See if you can drag & drop the game from All apps to Start. I just tried both (pin to Start, and drag & drop for two different games) with success.

I'll try it on my Win7 upgraded box, but the games will have to be installed on that so it sort of invalidates the test. I'll post back later if I don't forget *Wink.

Slartybart, Aug 2, 2015
  5. alphanumeric New Member
    I've never had an issue in Windows 7 or 8.1. They seen fine on my other PC's that I upgraded to Windows 10. Dragging and dropping works. Didn't know you could do that actually? Thanks for the reply. Problem solved I guess?

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? - Similar Threads - Can't pin items

1. Troubleshooting services; now can't get to PIN

in Windows 10 Support
    Troubleshooting services; now can't get to PIN: Hi (windows 10 issue) I kept getting the cmd.exe ....0000142 error about every minute or do, so I ran MS recommended troubleshooting by disabling non MS services via sysconfig. That didn't fix the problem so I went to MS's next recommended fix which was to start disabling MS...
  2. Can't sign in W10 ignores PIN

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't sign in W10 ignores PIN: To complicate the issue I am running W10 on a Mac under Bootcamp. W10 suddenly refuses to accept my pin to log in. It ignores both pin and password. W10 updated yesterday, and if there's any connection I don't know. peters*Zip 91216
  3. PIN issue I can't resolve via Google articles -- advice welcome!

in Windows 10 Support
    PIN issue I can't resolve via Google articles -- advice welcome!: Hello forum people I don't know, who are way smarter than me about computer stuff. This is my first post, first time ever reaching out for help. Please be kind. *Smile I'm running Windows 10 on a well functioning PC which I scan routinely and which I do not believe to have...
  4. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  5. Can't change start menu setting, layout and pin/unpin malfunction.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't change start menu setting, layout and pin/unpin malfunction.: Windows 10 Pro 64bit - ver 1703 Hi, I have problem with start menu, setting and layout can not be changed (I could change them, but the setting won't effect and layout will be reset everytime) At first, the problem didn't present until I try to pin some *.exe files and...
  6. Can't pin to start after clean install (win 10 creator update)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin to start after clean install (win 10 creator update): After my computer is reinstalled with windows 10 creators update, it can't 'pin to start', can't detect what 'recently added', can't use start full screen on my start menu. what happened? i switch 'use start full screen' turn on but it back to off again. 85472
  7. for some reason i can't pin items to start menu screenshots

in Windows 10 Support
    for some reason i can't pin items to start menu screenshots: Just when I tried to pin utorrent to the start menu it seems that it didn't work. Here you can see I have it selected to be pinned [img] however here you can see it is not appearing in the start menu [img] I rebooted. This version of windows does not have...
Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? solved