Windows 10: Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

Discus and support Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

Any of the items under games in this screen shot will not pin to my Start Screen? They will pin to my taskbar though. It's windows 10 Enterprise if that matters. I can right click and select Pin to Start, but nothing happens. Right click again and Pin To Start is still listed as an option, but doesn't do anything?

Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? [​IMG]

:)

alphanumeric, Aug 2, 2015

2. Start Menu doesn't update, items won't move

Hey

My start menu (the bit to the right when you click on Start with the squares) won't update when I "pin" items to it. I can move some things around but other items won't move. (for example the Samsung KIES tile won't move and can't be unpinned.

Other items that I pin don't appear.

If I reboot some the changes I make appear (but KIES won't move/disappear).

Is there some way to force it to refresh?

Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? [​IMG]

justabloke69, Aug 2, 2015
  3. can't pin items to the Start Menu in Windows 10

Hi Ambarish,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We are glad to help you.

This issue could be due to corrupted system files. I would have you run the system file checker scan and see if it fixes the issue.

SFC (System File Checker) is a tool which scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

Refer the following article for more information on using SFC tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

If the issue persists, you may repair the Windows Image and check if it helps.

• Type command prompt in the start screen.
    • Right click on the command prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
    • Type the below command and press enter.
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

The MS games are a bit wonky. I had to reinstall them on a few preview releases because they either were not upgraded with everything else (the tiles didn't migrate, not an update to the games) or the games didn't load.

This might be due to their being associated with Games Explorer - not sure. Games Explorer is all I want anyway - try pinning that one or drag & drop it.

See if you can drag & drop the game from All apps to Start. I just tried both (pin to Start, and drag & drop for two different games) with success.

I'll try it on my Win7 upgraded box, but the games will have to be installed on that so it sort of invalidates the test. I'll post back later if I don't forget *Wink.

Slartybart, Aug 2, 2015
  5. I've never had an issue in Windows 7 or 8.1. They seen fine on my other PC's that I upgraded to Windows 10. Dragging and dropping works. Didn't know you could do that actually? Thanks for the reply. Problem solved I guess?

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen?

1. Can't pin some items in Start Menu to Start Screen? - Similar Threads - Can't pin items

2. Unable to pin a start menu item to Windows Tile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to pin a start menu item to Windows Tile: I tried to pin my Camera start menu item to a tile in Windows. At first it worked & I saw it move over, then something happened, I heard a beep & it disappeared. Now it is not giving me the option to move it there again, but it thinks it is already there but it is not. Can...
  3. Unable to pin a start menu item to Windows Tile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to pin a start menu item to Windows Tile: I tried to pin my Camera start menu item to a tile in Windows. At first it worked & I saw it move over, then something happened, I heard a beep & it disappeared. Now it is not giving me the option to move it there again, but it thinks it is already there but it is not. Can...
  4. Pinned items disappear in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinned items disappear in start menu: I'm facing a problem recently. I pinned some softwares in start menu. But when I turned on my PC again, I saw that they are missing !!! I've pinned again and they disappeared again Would you like to tell me that what's the problem and how can I fix it?...
  5. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222
  6. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  7. for some reason i can't pin items to start menu screenshots

in Windows 10 Support
    for some reason i can't pin items to start menu screenshots: Just when I tried to pin utorrent to the start menu it seems that it didn't work. Here you can see I have it selected to be pinned [img] however here you can see it is not appearing in the start menu [img] I rebooted. This version of windows does not have...
  8. Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible: I pinned Windows Update to my Start Menu. After some time, I noticed it was gone and tried to re-pin it. But when I right-clicked on the setting, all that showed up was "Unpin from Start." Selecting that option causes the dialog window to crash/close. As things stand, I...
  9. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?: ....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders selected in the Personalization/Start settings. Is this not customizable? Or has anyone figured out a workaround for this...
  10. Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10: Hey guys. Lately Windows has started behaving really odd in the way it deals with pinning. It was fine when I first set up win10 but now it doesn't work properly. I want to see if I can resolve this as I really don't feel like wiping and installing everything again....