Windows 10: Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN

Discus and support Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been dealing with this issue for hours now and have tried everything I can think of. I have a Windows 10 Home PC that I have an incoming VPN... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ryley2637, Jun 14, 2016.

1. ryley2637 Win User

Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN

I've been dealing with this issue for hours now and have tried everything I can think of. I have a Windows 10 Home PC that I have an incoming VPN connection on. I can connect to it, but if the firewall is enabled, I can't ping it or access the shares. If I turn the firewall off I CAN ping and access shares. It was working fine yesterday and I don't remember doing anything to cause this. I've tracked it down to being something with my Public networks. When I disable the firewall on public networks (the VPN adapter) I can ping, but once I enable that it stops pinging. I've tried everything listed below but still can't get it to work:

• Checked port 1723 is open
    • Allowed EVERYTHING with a firewall rule, through it
    • Checked multiple devices on another Wi-Fi network and 3G with a phone
    • Restarted PC; other devices and router
    • I can ping every other device on my network besides the one creating the VPN (which is the one I need)
    • and so many other steps.
    • Made sure file and printer sharing were enabled in network and sharing center

Is there some other rule that got removed from the firewall I need to re-add? Any help or tips would be appreciated!

:)

ryley2637, Jun 14, 2016
  2. Leo_1984 Win User

The second L2TP VPN can't connect.

I used ping , and there is no failure return.

The vpn server is built on ZyWall firewall, it is a L2TP over IPSec vpn,

I don't think it's the server's problem, because on PC2 using the same Wifi can connect to the vpn server perfectly.

Leo_1984, Jun 14, 2016
  3. Using VPN to access network drives

Sorry, your VPN is not operational. Your pings do not work in either direction. You will not be able to access shares until you have a fully operational VPN.

Frederik Long, Jun 14, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Are you paying for this VPN, is it on a work machine?

Most VPN software will not allow for Pinging. Also as for shares missing on either your side or the other. Restrictions could have been tightened.

Start from the source for who the VPN is with, then work backwards.

A VPN is a secured tunnel. It can be set up to completely ignore any outside requests or even access to stuff on your machine.

bro67, Jun 14, 2016
  5. vpnn00b Win User
Thema:

1. Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN - Similar Threads - Can't Ping VPN

2. Windows VPN - Can connect and ping VPN server but cannot ping any other devices on remote LAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows VPN - Can connect and ping VPN server but cannot ping any other devices on remote LAN: I've set up a VPN in Windows exploiting the "Incoming connection" feature and a DDNS service no-ip.com.Follows my configuration:- Remote LAN vpn server LAN:192.168.1.0/24 router IP 192.168.1.1VPN server pc static 192.168.1.50PPP interface 192.168.10.1- VPN connection settings...
  3. Windows VPN - Can connect and ping VPN server but cannot ping any other devices on remote LAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows VPN - Can connect and ping VPN server but cannot ping any other devices on remote LAN: I've set up a VPN in Windows exploiting the "Incoming connection" feature and a DDNS service no-ip.com.Follows my configuration:- Remote LAN vpn server LAN:192.168.1.0/24 router IP 192.168.1.1VPN server pc static 192.168.1.50PPP interface 192.168.10.1- VPN connection settings...
  4. Windows VPN - Can connect and ping VPN server but cannot ping any other devices on remote LAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. VPN connects but can't access shared folders

VPN connects but can't access shared folders: About a month ago I came into work and one of our engineers said he wasn't able to access the shared folders from home using his VPN anymore. I logged onto the VPN and everything worked as it should, but then 1 week later I wasn't able to access the shared folders. Now my...
  6. VPN Sharing

VPN Sharing: I have setup VPN Sharing on a Win 10 machine by sharing the main Internet connection with a 2nd Network Card, the connection is working but the speed through the 2nd card is only around 1/4 of the main connection, anyone have any suggestions, I am through Private Internet...
  7. VPN there is ping but no data

VPN there is ping but no data: When this happens I just restart the router and it works again. But i want to find a more stable solution for this Instead of restarting the router https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-there-is-ping-but-no-data/0068a27e-987b-487f-b526-ade5fce19c3b
  8. vpn server

vpn server: Hi I would like to know how many vpn clients a vpn server on window 10 workstation accept ? I need probably less than 5 connection. I using for the moment a window 7 and only 1 client allowed . thank you. db...
  9. Pinging Yourself When On VPN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pinging Yourself When On VPN: If you ping your own machine name when on a VPN would you expect it to return the IP address of your NIC or the IP address from your VPN? I've run into an issue where this behaviour appears to have changed in Windows 10, I've not yet narrowed down which version. This is...
  10. VPN server

VPN server: when my VPN is on everybody thinks my internet is not on I can only use it in the USA any idea why ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-server/7f223712-d26e-4787-94e9-473fb08d8c60

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant ping vpn server windows 2016