Windows 10: Can't play any media after skipping a video.

Discus and support Can't play any media after skipping a video. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Sometimes if I skip part of a video on YouTube all my media will stop working. I'll try to skip a couple of seconds of a video and the loading icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CristianCardenas84, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Can't play any media after skipping a video.

Sometimes if I skip part of a video on YouTube all my media will stop working. I'll try to skip a couple of seconds of a video and the loading icon will appear, and the video will never start again. If I reload the video or switch browsers the same thing will happen. Not only that but if I open MediaMonkey for example mp3's just won't start playing. If I'm in the middle of a Discord call I will lose audio.

The only way to fix this issue is to restart my PC, which is very annoying since this can happen multiple times in one day. I've tried formatting and going back to older builds but as soon as I update Windows the issue comes back. This only started happening about 3 months ago so I suspect that one of the latest updates created a pretty nasty bug in Windows.

Please help.

:)

CristianCardenas84, Jul 24, 2018

2. Videos won't play- "This item is in a format we don't support. Oxc1010103"

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the following questions:

• Which is the media player you are trying to play the video?
    • What is the format of the video file you are trying to play?
    I suggest you to run the video in the Windows media player
    and check.

If the issue still persist, you may check for any pending updates and install it, then check if you can play the video. To check for the update and install the updates, please follow the below steps:

• Go to Start menu, and type Windows updates and press Enter.
    • Click on Check for updates, Windows will check for any pending updates and shows on the screen after this. Select install to install the updates.

Hope you could play the video.

Get back to us for further queries, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Jul 24, 2018
  3. Playing slow and pixelated videos in Windows 10 media .

Hi Ray,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will help you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persist when you play videos on other video players?

• Does the issue persist when you play videos using a browser?

Sometimes certain file types will not be supported or the file type might be very large to load on to the player. It might also be due to the non-updated version of the Windows media player you might be facing this issue.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows Key icon key on the keyboard, type
      troubleshooter and select the top most search result.

• Click on View all from left side panel of the screen.

• Select Hardware and Devices,
      click on Advanced option and check
      Apply repairs automatically
      option.

• Follow the on screen instructions.

• Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2:

Step 1: Check if you are able to play the videos without any performance issue in Movies & TV app.

Also check if you are able to play videos using a browser without facing similar issue.

Step 2:
    Check the version of Windows Media Player

and update the player to the latest version and check if the issue is resolved.

Refer to the File Types supported by Windows Media Player
    and check if it helps.

Note: The article written for Windows 8/8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

Write back to us if you face further issues, we will be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 24, 2018
  4. Can't play any media after skipping a video.

Video import and play on Windows 10

Hi Russ Bristol,

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you get any error message when you try to play imported videos in Windows media player?

• What is the format of the video files you try to play using Windows media player?
    Try these steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Check the file type.

Check if the file type is supported in Windows Media Player 12. You may verify the information below. The information is more or less the same except for few file types such as H.264, Xvid and DivX video codecs, AAC audio<sup></sup>
    and 3GP, MP4 and MOV container formats that are natively supported by WMP 12.

Information about the Multimedia file types that Windows Media Player supports

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992/

Step 2: Download and install codec.

If the file type is supported by the Player, make sure the codec used to compress the file is installed on your computer. Some codec’s aren't supported by the Player.

Here’s how you can check for the codec of the file.

To do this, follow these steps in Windows Media Player 12:

• Determine whether the codec is installed on the computer that you are using to play the file. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. In the Now Playing area, right-click the file that you are trying to play, and then click
    Properties.

b. Click the File tab, note the codecs that are specified in the
    Audio codec and the Video codec areas, and then click
    OK. If the following condition is true, go to step 2.

No video codec is specified.

c. On the Help menu, click About Windows Media Player.

d. Click the Technical Support Information hyperlink.

e. Determine whether the video codec that you noted in step 1b is listed in the Video Codecs area. If the codec is not listed, go to step 2.

f. Try to reinstall the codec. If you cannot reinstall the codec, go to step 2.

g. Try to play the file. If you can play the file, go to step 3.

2. Install the codec.

To do this, follow the below steps:

a) If you receive an error message when you try to play the file, click
    Web Help. If you do not receive an error message when you try to play the file, go to step 3.

b) On the Microsoft Web site, click the link to the Wmplugins Web site. If this link is not present, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

c) Try to play the file. If you can play the file, skip step 3.

3. Obtain the codec from a external vendor. For information about your hardware manufacturer, visit the following Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vendors/en-us

If your file format you have downloaded/imported is not supported in Windows Media Player. However use your favorite search engine to search for the application that converts the file to the format that Windows Media player supports.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jul 24, 2018
Thema:

Can't play any media after skipping a video.

1. Can't play any media after skipping a video. - Similar Threads - Can't play media

2. Video Play on browser Any video and livestream platforms and media player are all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video Play on browser Any video and livestream platforms and media player are all...: I made no changes in any settings before as everything works just fine before, but after I switch on my computer the on 10th October, all the video playing both online and offline are experiencing some issues.For videos on Youtube/ Facebook or basically any other video...
  3. Video Play on browser Any video and livestream platforms and media player are all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video Play on browser Any video and livestream platforms and media player are all...: I made no changes in any settings before as everything works just fine before, but after I switch on my computer the on 10th October, all the video playing both online and offline are experiencing some issues.For videos on Youtube/ Facebook or basically any other video...
  4. Why can't I skip through video playback on any players?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I skip through video playback on any players?: Hi, I have Windows 11, bought just a couple of months ago, ASUS vivobook pro 15 OLED should be a good machine however, I can not skip through any videos when I want to play. I CAN play them but then when I was to skip a video to another time, it takes FOREVER, it's like it...
  5. Why can't I skip through video playback on any players?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I skip through video playback on any players?: Hi, I have Windows 11, bought just a couple of months ago, ASUS vivobook pro 15 OLED should be a good machine however, I can not skip through any videos when I want to play. I CAN play them but then when I was to skip a video to another time, it takes FOREVER, it's like it...
  6. Can't play videos or music with W10 Media or music or video apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't play videos or music with W10 Media or music or video apps: I'm looking for suggestions how to troubleshoot a video problem in W10. When I try to play mp3/4 videos with either W10 Media Player or the VLC app, videos are either choppy and stop after a few seconds, or in the case with VLC, the app just flashes. I've uninstalled/clean...
  7. Can't play videos with W10 Media or VLC

Can't play videos with W10 Media or VLC: I'm looking for suggestions how to troubleshoot a video problem in W10. When I try to play mp3/4 videos with either W10 Media Player or the VLC app, videos are either choppy and stop after a few seconds, or in the case with VLC, the app just flashes. I've uninstalled/clean...
  8. Terrible static and skipping when playing ANY streamed audio or video with audio

Terrible static and skipping when playing ANY streamed audio or video with audio: I have been having issues with the sound quality whenever I play music or video through a web-based service. I first believed this to be a problem with Spotify as that was the only platform that was experiencing this issue about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I then noticed it was doing...
  9. Media Player wont play ANY video files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Media Player wont play ANY video files: Plays music files but not video file No error message, no warning windows, nothing. Player just goes away and thats it. Fresh install of Windows 10 x64. Downloaded and installed directx files as usual. Event viewer shows - System - Provider [ Name] Application...
  10. pc freezes while play any video by any media player

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pc freezes while play any video by any media player: whenever i open vlc or km media player to play video the whole pc freezes and i needs to shutdown the pc with power button i dont know why my pc freezes. i already updated my graphic drivers. any help is appriciated....