Windows 10: cant play games that are not in windowed mode

Discus and support cant play games that are not in windowed mode in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; has any one run into the problem where they can only play a game in windowed mode. because when i try to play a game in fullscreen the game chrashes or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by codelancelot, Apr 2, 2015.

1. cant play games that are not in windowed mode

has any one run into the problem where they can only play a game in windowed mode. because when i try to play a game in fullscreen the game chrashes or it forces me to shutdown my computer. anny ideas ?

:)

codelancelot, Apr 2, 2015

2. games locked in windowed mode after windows fall update

Open Start > Settings > System > Display

Make sure recommended settings are selected for Scale and Layout and Screen resolution.

Another thing you can try:

uninstall your display driver then restart

Boot to the Windows 10 desktop

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Display adapters

Right click the current display adapter

Click Properties

Click Driver tab

Click Rollback driver if the option is available

If not

Right click the current display adapter

Click Uninstall

Exit Device Manager

Restart

Andre Da Costa, Apr 2, 2015
  3. gaspode78 Win User
    games locked in windowed mode after windows fall update

Well the subject says it all...

I updated the driver of my graphics card but it didn't change anything.

If anyone knows a way to solve this issue, that would be great!

Thanks!

gaspode78, Apr 2, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

cant play games that are not in windowed mode

What game does that for you? I played the Half Life 2 update and it had to be launched in windowed mode to work.

Dude, Apr 2, 2015
  5. every single game now advanced warfare dying light dragon ball z bf hardline every single dam game and it sucks to the point i think i am going to have to go back to 8 if i cant find a fix. because its no problem for games that i have already played but whenever i get a new game that crashes on start i cant change it to windowed which means that i cant play it

codelancelot, Apr 2, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    Dude, Apr 3, 2015
  7. trd3v3lop Win User
    Hello. I can play but my problem is similar to that. If the game is not windowed I can't Alt-Tab the game. When I click Alt-Tab I can see desktop or other opened windows but I can't return the game anymore. I have to close it from Task Manager. For example CS:GO, Metal Gear Rising:Revengeance sometimes Dota2.

trd3v3lop, Apr 11, 2015
  8. KevinC Win User

KevinC, Apr 27, 2015
  9. Use the virtual desktops.

I have the first (left) desktop for my browsers, ect. Then on the second (right) desktop I will launch the game. Afterwards, instead of Alt+Tab, I use Start+Ctrl+Left Arrow to swap to the left desktop with my browser windows, ext, and then Start+Ctrl+Right Arrow to go back to the game.

With more than two virtual desktops, I can even run multiple full-screen games. *Wink

SylenThunder, May 4, 2015
  10. KevinC Win User
    try today's windows update...

KevinC, May 5, 2015
  11. Vladimir Win User
    COD MW2, MW3 and Ghosts only run in Windowed mode (no border) on Windows 10, at least here

*Smile

Vladimir, May 5, 2015
  12. travzz Win User
    FOUND A FIX... well kinda if u use nvidia go on geforce experience, chose the game u want to play and click on the spanner next to revert and choose windowed. that will have to do for now *Biggrin

travzz, May 5, 2015
  13. C4Pn Win User

I think this may have been linked to GAMEDVR, because it only works if the game is in Windowed mode.
    However the latest updates this seem to have fixed the problem ( I was getting the problem with the "sticky start screen" as well where it would not close. That too, seems to have been fixed *Party

14. oleost Win User
    Still having this issue.

Latest Windows 10 build 10122, with all the Windows update installed. nVidia driver 352.84.

Full-screen gaming doesn't work, but windowed does.

More detailed what happening:

Example, when launching FEZ in full-screen mode I can hear the game running but the screen has frozen. If I Alt-Tab out and back to get game the screen updates it with current picture from game. So everything is running, its just not getting drawn on screen while the game is in focus. I can manage to navigate to option and then choose window mode and everything works.

oleost, May 21, 2015
  15. Did you do an upgrade to 10122 or a clean install?

blackroseMD1, May 21, 2015
Thema:

1. cant play games that are not in windowed mode - Similar Threads - cant play games

2. Cant play games that use EAC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant play games that use EAC: I've been having issues with games that specifically use EasyAntiCheat. The issue being that approximately 5-10 mins after playing my pc will freeze and then crash with no bluescreen coming up. Sometimes the PC does not crash after the freeze and the game will continue to...
  3. Cant play games that use EAC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant play games that use EAC: I've been having issues with games that specifically use EasyAntiCheat. The issue being that approximately 5-10 mins after playing my pc will freeze and then crash with no bluescreen coming up. Sometimes the PC does not crash after the freeze and the game will continue to...
  4. Cant play any games!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant play any games!: So since like yesterday I haven't been able to play any game, even the simplest ones. I have an RTX 2060 super and my computer isn't even 1 year old, so it shouldn't be a problem and I have played all these games for so long time. I have checked the temperature and it has...
  5. Cant play any games!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant play any games!: So since like yesterday I haven't been able to play any game, even the simplest ones. I have an RTX 2060 super and my computer isn't even 1 year old, so it shouldn't be a problem and I have played all these games for so long time. I have checked the temperature and it has...
  6. cant play some games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cant play some games: please help!!! some games just wont play , show a pop up saying account management system error code 212. Any ideas? thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-play-some-games/213ee4d3-b591-4c53-9c38-512850738642
  7. I cant play a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant play a game: MY buddy gave me a code for sea of theives. i downloaded it, installed it. i cant get it to run. it keeps saying this [Sea of Thieves is currently not available in your account. Here’s the error code, in case you need it: 0x803F8001] im not sure how to fix this. some things i...
  8. Cant play most games in fullscreen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant play most games in fullscreen: It started when i bought GTA5 on steam and everything was good until a couple days into it. i would startup the game and it just froze. but if i pressed the windows key and got back into the game, it would unfreeze for a couple seconds and then freeze again. the game was in...
  9. Cant play/download a purchased game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant play/download a purchased game: I just recently brought forza horizon 4 for windows 10. I says I own it but when I click on install/play game it just links me back to the page to buy the game? Clicking on install to my device comes up with a box saying I dont have any compatible devices? Im getting a bit...
  10. Cant play old games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant play old games: Hey my windows 10 cant play some old games command and conquer Tiberian Sun and command and conquer Red alert 2 it says one or more dlls are missing please reinstall and i have...