Windows 10: Can't rebuild bcd or boot into uefi

Discus and support Can't rebuild bcd or boot into uefi in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I get error code 0xc000000f when i boot into windows from the install disk I did a ubuntu install that went bad now when i try to boot up windows it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alt1231, Oct 22, 2016.

1. alt1231 Win User

Can't rebuild bcd or boot into uefi

I get error code 0xc000000f when i boot into windows from the install disk
    I did a ubuntu install that went bad now when i try to boot up windows it goes to the grub command line. so far i tried these
    bootrec /fixboot (doesnt fail)
    bootrec /fixmbr (doesnt fail)
    bootrec /rebuildbcd (fails)
    and when i try to do a system restore or refresh or install it fails
    it wont let me boot into uefi from the install usb only mbr
    i also tried a couple bcd edit commands

:)

alt1231, Oct 22, 2016

2. Stuck on "Requres a restart to finish installing"

Could be a problem with the Dual Boot with Linux - especially if you're using GRUB to boot it - with additional complications if it's a UEFI install.

I would reassert the Windows Boot Loader on the Windows System partition following

How To Rebuild the BCD in Windows [10 to 20 Minutes].

It would be best to have these on separate hard drives booted via the
    BIOS Boot Menu Key

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 22, 2016
  3. BCD problem, Identified Windows installations: 0 (Existing solutions haven't worked)

That URL you followed...

Trying to Rebuild Windows Boot Configuration Data (BCD)? Here's How

How To Rebuild the BCD in Windows

...is smart enough to know "BootRec /RebuildBCD" does not add an OS into the BCD that is already there. Instead, it says...

"

X:\windows\system32>bootrec /RebuildBCD

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.

Total identified Windows installations: 0

The operation completed successfully.

"

So, the article then says to rename the BCD, so that it could be rebuilt. Steps 6 & 7 do that...

6. attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

7. ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

BUT that won't work in a UEFI system. A UEFI system has the BCD in a separate partition - the EFI partition. I'd show you how to put a letter on it to use instead of C: - but I see you've
    solved the boot problem another way. Good going. (BTW, the ATTRIB command was unnecessary to do for me.)

PCR Just PCR, Oct 22, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would boot the computer from a rescue drive/disk like Kyhi's:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Use Macrium Reflect to make a backup image of the partition Windows is installed to. Use MiniTool Partition Wizard to wipe the hard drive and re-initialize it as GPT. Do a clean install of Windows 10 using the Windows 10 installation media. Then restore the image you made back to the OS partition.

NavyLCDR, Oct 22, 2016
  5. alt1231 Win User
    i was hoping an easier way like windows commands but thats sounds like what to do

alt1231, Oct 22, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can boot from a Windows 10 installation drive, open a command prompt prompt, change to the boot folder on the installation drive and try the bootsect command.

Can't rebuild bcd or boot into uefi [​IMG]

I would try bootsect /nt60 ALL /force /mbr

NavyLCDR, Oct 22, 2016
  7. alt1231 Win User
    i tried the bootsect it didnt fail but i still get grub coming up
    i tried a startup repair and it went htrough excet ionr eboot i booted back into linux and it didnt finish the repair
    so im trying again if fail im gonna try and format this rive and install windows on it and work from there

alt1231, Oct 22, 2016
  8. alt1231 Win User

well that didnt work it seems my hard drive windows wont install on it i dont know why
    i have the disk in gpt but i can't boot uefi mode with the usb because it gets the error

alt1231, Oct 23, 2016
  9. Neemobeer Win User
    From the recovery console you can type bcdboot C:\Windows that should override the boot sector.

Neemobeer, Oct 23, 2016
  10. alt1231 Win User
    I did that and it still didnt work

alt1231, Oct 23, 2016
  11. alt1231 Win User
    I got virutal box working wiht the iso you said to ownload what do i do next

alt1231, Oct 23, 2016
  12. alt1231 Win User
    I gt windows up and running idont know what to do next

alt1231, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't rebuild bcd or boot into uefi - Similar Threads - Can't rebuild bcd

2. io1_initialization_failed after rebuilding BCD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    io1_initialization_failed after rebuilding BCD: after reinstalling the EFI partition bootrec seems to have installed UEFI instead of legacy into the EFI partition which causes windows to give an error io1 initialization failed, i've been trying for hours to get this to work, forcefully booting in legacy mode from a usb...
  3. Steps to Rebuild the UEFI Boot Partition and for Rebuild BCD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steps to Rebuild the UEFI Boot Partition and for Rebuild BCD: Can someone please Lay out the Steps Precisely to Re-Instate the EFI Boot Partition and the Steps Commands to Rebuild the BCD for UEFI https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/steps-to-rebuild-the-uefi-boot-partition-and-for/a837e063-dddf-4631-95a5-6b45f94b6560
  4. Steps to Rebuild the UEFI Boot Partition and for Rebuild BCD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Steps to Rebuild the UEFI Boot Partition and for Rebuild BCD: Can someone please Lay out the Steps Precisely to Re-Instate the EFI Boot Partition and the Steps Commands to Rebuild the BCD for UEFI https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/steps-to-rebuild-the-uefi-boot-partition-and-for/a837e063-dddf-4631-95a5-6b45f94b6560
  5. Steps to Rebuild the UEFI Boot Partition and for Rebuild BCD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Cannot rebuild BCD files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot rebuild BCD files.: I restarted my PC after messing with ASUS files on my computer, ASUS is mb manufacturer and I'm getting a blue screen with the error code 0xc0000225. I've searched the internet for fixes and none of them have worked yet. The most promising solution, repairing my BCD files,...
  7. Windows not launching and rebuilding BCD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not launching and rebuilding BCD: This one is a stickler and every possible solution has been combatted with no path found or no file specified. I needed to use my PC's CD driver to play a disk to install a driver for a wifi adpater. My PC does not have a spare SATA cord so I had to unplug the SSD and plug...
  8. Windows not launching and rebuilding BCD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not launching and rebuilding BCD: This one is a stickler and every possible solution has been combatted with no path found or no file specified. I needed to use my PC's CD driver to play a disk to install a driver for a wifi adpater. My PC does not have a spare SATA cord so I had to unplug the SSD and plug...
  9. (Help) booted macrium reflect to rebuild bcd.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    (Help) booted macrium reflect to rebuild bcd.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jiberesh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gjcbkc/help_booted_macrium_reflect_to_rebuild_bcd/
  10. BCD File Rebuild and BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BCD File Rebuild and BIOS: Our IT department updated my pc to 1803 not realizing that I have an X299 motherboard and a Samsung NVME SSD boot drive. I came in the next day to get the BCD File error BSOD with error code 0xc000098 (a known bug but not fixed a year after discovery). Our IT department...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant boot on usb \EFI\microsoft\boot\BCD

2. microsoft surface 2 pro error code 0xc0000225 bootable windows 10 efi