Windows 10: Can't recover to earlier version.

Discus and support Can't recover to earlier version. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a computer in my workshop that doesn't get used very much, one of the programs I use there doesn't like the last upgrade (the fonts are messed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rboppy, Nov 18, 2016.

1. rboppy Win User

Can't recover to earlier version.

I have a computer in my workshop that doesn't get used very much, one of the programs I use there doesn't like the last upgrade (the fonts are messed up). When this has happened in the past I just recovered to an earlier version. Now that option is no longer available because the upgrade was more than 10 days ago.

Is there any kind of work-around for that?

OS Build 14393.447

:)

rboppy, Nov 18, 2016
  2. mikekokes Win User

Windows 10 Not working

How can I recover to a earlier version of windows?

mikekokes, Nov 18, 2016
  3. System recovery

Why can't I just do a simple "Recover to an earlier state" like we use to. It gives me the option but I lose all the apps. Sounds stupid.

GeorgeTouliatos, Nov 18, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

An in-place repair install should take you back to build 14393.0 keeping you files and programs intact.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

You could then install the October Cumulative Update to take you up to 14393.351
    Cumulative Update KB3197954 Windows 10 PC and Mobile build 14393.351

Links to download it are in the above Tutorial. It's also available here...
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...px?q=KB3197954

Before you start it is always a good idea to make a system image first using something like Macrium Reflect.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...p-restore.html
    or at least use the built in Microsoft offering.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

5. rboppy Win User
    Thanks Bree, I'm going to bookmark your reply!

The problem went away when I did a shut down then restarted.

rboppy, Nov 18, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    The option to roll back to a previous version is normally only offered for a Features Update like the Anniversary Update.

You may want to try an in-place install using the iso for the previous version (if you still have one). I have install media for all previous versions but I've not tried downgrading like that, so cannot guarantee the results. All the more reason to make a backup system image first!

If you don't have the 1511 iso, this thread has a suggestion...
    https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...lp-needed.html

Edit: Oh, I've seen you've replied while I was typing. Yes, a restart often fixes a multitude of problems *Biggrin

7. My wife has a problem on with the anniversary update on her "old as dirt" machine (circa 2008/2011). Does the approach of in-place install to the 1511 work?

Joey2scoops, May 3, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Why not simply back up previous version with Macrium Free before you attempt the upgrades -- there's even a stand alone bootable version so if the whole machine gets hosed up you can still restore it.

I'm always amazed why people BOTHER with these "In place Roll backs" -- they have a tendency to go wrong --if they even work in the first place.

Using something like Macrium only takes between 15 and 30 mins to back up most decent machines -- even on a really slow old one it might take 60 mins - but the time people mess around trying to get a defective OS to work again cleanly will usually (invariably) take a LOT LONGER -- especially if you have to hunt around for old and obscure drivers.

Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

A colleague of mine spent an entire weekend recently trying to clean (remove Viruses) etc from TWO quite decently specced machines.

If the users had only taken regular backups - the machines could have been repaired and working perfectly again probably within the Hour !!!!!!! and if he's on a time basis for repairing this stuff you don't have to "give the game away" to the users !!!!!.

Cheers

Jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't recover to earlier version. - Similar Threads - Can't recover earlier

2. File got replaced by earlier version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File got replaced by earlier version: Today Morning I login in to Microsoft account and suddenly my files on desktop replaced by earlier version from one drive. Is there any way to recover my files?...
  3. File got replaced by earlier version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File got replaced by earlier version: Today Morning I login in to Microsoft account and suddenly my files on desktop replaced by earlier version from one drive. Is there any way to recover my files?...
  4. Revert to earlier version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Revert to earlier version: I did a clean install of 20h2 with a Win 10 flash dirve that I purchased. After numerous issues black screen, blue screen, freezes I figured out that the new Win 10 20H2 does not like my EVGA nVidia GTX 1060 6Gb graphics card. It actually hates it. If I install the card, the...
  5. Computer updates, but stays at earlier version?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer updates, but stays at earlier version?: I have a HP Laptop that came with Windows 10 Home. It's slightly older than one year. I'm not sure if it came with version 1909, or if it updated to that at some point. anyway, I have tried to update it beyond that for a couple of days now, first to 20H2, and then when that...
  6. recover my computer to an earlier date in time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recover my computer to an earlier date in time: How do I recover my computer to an earlier date in time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-my-computer-to-an-earlier-date-in-time/da1b31fe-75e4-4a27-be76-1981168ac850
  7. Install an Earlier Version as Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Install an Earlier Version as Update: Is there a way to roll back W10 as an update after Go back to an earlier build is not available anymore? Without having to reinstall and setup everything again. Thank you. submitted by /u/antonioat8 [link] [comments]...
  8. Earlier version of Outlook 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Earlier version of Outlook 2016: After fixing the problem with my PST file, I have discovered the way I had Outlook 2016 configured I can not do because of I believe an update came along. I don't like what I have to work with. You have to configure every different view of the same windows. Is there a way to...
  9. Reverting to an earlier version?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reverting to an earlier version?: Hello, I just (last night) "upgraded" win 7 64bit to win 10. Seeing that the 1903 version is already out, it is what it loaded. Problem is, it is already causing conflicts with some programs. I need to be on the 1803/09 version. If i try to revert to previous versions,...
  10. Earlier versions of Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Earlier versions of Windows: I have a laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise, Build 17134. I have a software program that is only tested to Build 1709. Can I have both (or either) running on the new laptop, as it will only be used for running the software....