Windows 10: Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

Discus and support Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Invisicow, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Invisicow Win User

Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD

Hello,

I'm trying to reinstall W8 using my CD but in the Windows Setup, clicking Upgrade gives me a Compatibility Report that tells me to remove the CD, restart my computer so Windows starts normally, then reinsert the CD to restart the upgrade.

Clicking Custom and then clicking on my primary drive gives me an error and cancels the installation. It tells me: "Windows Setup could not reinitialize the deployment engine. To install Windows, restart the installation."

This is really frustrating me and I don't know that to do. Any ideas?

Thanks!

SOLUTION: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1723461/windows-installed-disk-selected-disk-mbr-partition-table-efi-systems-windows.html

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP! YOU'RE ALL GREAT!

:)

Invisicow, Aug 14, 2015
  2. Boblink Win User

Windows Activation Code

Hello, I purchased and registered a full version of W8 that I upgraded to 8.1 and then to W10 and ran into a partition issue that locked me out of the system and had to reinstall Windows.

I had the installation CD for W8 but I thought that if I had a W10 CD, my final object was to have W10 installed, that I might be able to repair the issues and not have to reinstall all my
    programs, apps,.... so I purchased a W10 CD.

The repair Windows option didn't work so I performed a clean install of W10 and when I was asked to enter the Windows 25 digit key, I entered the number from W8, which I believe was the key
    code on my system before my system "blew-up".

The number was rejected so I entered the 25 digit code from (the newly purchased) W10 CD and completed the install.

My question is, I believe that the W8 key code was still valid since it was going to be re-installed on thee same device that it was already installed on and would appreciate help in understanding
    why I couldn't use the key code or if it was still a valid code and I could reuse it, how do I activate it and change the key code on my system to reflect the W8 key code instead of the W10 key code?

Thank you for your help,

Bob

Boblink, Aug 14, 2015
  3. Windows 10 upgrade failure

The W8 repair wasn't possible - it just didn't see it. It was seeing only W10 - even with the W8 CD. I hoped there was another way, but ... there wasn't. I just finished the total reinstall. And I've lost all my settings, unfortunately.

KameliaBorisova, Aug 14, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Aug 14, 2015
  5. Invisicow Win User
    But I do have the CD. This entire attempt was with it.

Invisicow, Aug 14, 2015
  6. Invisicow Win User
    Now I can't even click Next after selecting which drive I want to install Windows to. This error comes up:

Windows cannot be installed on drive 1 partition 2 [my primary drive]. Then after clicking that, a pop-up says"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

What the hell?!

Invisicow, Aug 14, 2015
  7. Invisicow Win User
    Invisicow, Aug 14, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Sounds like your system is setup for UEFI/GPT and will not work with a MBR formatted disk.

I would try creating a flash drive (4G or larger) to install from and use Rufus to create a UEFI/GPT setup.

Also, please post a snapshot of a fullscreen Disk Management Window:

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen. Expand the fields as necessary so everything can be seen.

Windows 10: How to Take a Screenshot in Windows 10

Ztruker, Aug 14, 2015
  9. Bazz Win User
    You need to delete the partitions and then install.

10. Ztruker Win User
    Rats, right, you are trying to get back to Win 8. Ignore my post#6 until you get that done. Instead, follow my post #2 for a Clean Install of 8/8.1.

Ztruker, Aug 14, 2015
  11. Bazz Win User
    I have no idea what a windows 8 or 8.1 install cd looks like or can do, I would boot from my windows 7 disk and go though a new install and click advanced and delete the partitions that are there and then do a new install, if windows 8 don't have this option download a windows 7 ISO, do the above and then boot from the 8 disk.

The main thing is to have the partitions on the drive gone.

Some would do it from a linux disk I would use a windows 7 disk, don't make any difference just delete the partitions and do a clean install.

Look at this and delete all the partitions. Formatting and Clean Install of Windows 7 - YouTube

Then boot from your 8 disk.

From what I have seen 8 is lacking in some important disk management.

Maybe someone else will be able to help you more from just your 8 disk, I doubt it as 10 as far as I can see has none of this. Looks to me like 10 is a downgrade of tools that are needed.

I know a 7 disk works because I have been there.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2015
  13. Bazz Win User

14. bobkn Win User
    If memory serves, with an Asus motherboard, the DVD appears twice in the boot menu. One way is for UEFI boot, the other as not.

I've never tried it, but it may be possible to install Win 8 on an MBR drive if you don't boot from the DVD using the UEFI option.

bobkn, Aug 14, 2015
  15. genet Win User
    Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD [​IMG]

Here is info about UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

genet, Aug 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't reinstall W8 from W10 using CD - Similar Threads - Can't reinstall W10

2. Upgraded laptop to W10 from W8, reset this PC won't complete

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded laptop to W10 from W8, reset this PC won't complete: I am trying to reset a laptop, removing all files and cleaning the drive. I get "There was a problem resetting your PC." Any ideas on how to remedy? Thanks....
  3. since i went from w8 w10 i have no bluetooth on my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    since i went from w8 w10 i have no bluetooth on my laptop: I lost blue tooth when I went from w8 to w10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/since-i-went-from-w8-w10-i-have-no-bluetooth-on-my/2145b920-c02b-4acf-b469-a9bd92ebd374
  4. how to instal w10 from cd

how to instal w10 from cd: hi, please tell me, in detail, steps which I must to follow, to install w 10 from cd, but to save my data on disk d. thank you! best regards https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-instal-w10-from-cd/1c8de360-fca2-4ce9-8539-b312a200bbd8
  5. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  6. How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy all my w8 jumplists to w10?: I had been using w8 for 4 years and now I have switched to w10. I want to copy my jumplists of all software from w8 to w10. how can I do this? I have read that Jump list files are located in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations and in...
  7. W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!

W10 update from W7/W8/W8.1 still working !!!!: Hi folks. Not sure how long this will continue to work but the Free update from W7/W8/W8.1 is STILL working as of 16 Nov 2017. I entered an old Technet key for W8.1 pro on a clean install of W10 pro via the media creation tool. No probs -- activated with Digital...
  8. Clean install w10 from w8

Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  9. Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does W10 have 'File History' that was introduced in W8 ?: I'm currently out of the loop with a working W10 install and so wonder if this feature is included in W10. Its something I've only just started using in 8.1 and find it a terrific archive feature, even though I do daily image backups. Does 10 have this ? 6684
  10. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...