Windows 10: Can't reinstall win 10

Discus and support Can't reinstall win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have had Windows 10 installed on my Samsung laptop for over a year now. In the last month or so it has gotten very slow. I suspected hard disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ducecoop, May 2, 2017.

1. ducecoop Win User

Can't reinstall win 10

I have had Windows 10 installed on my Samsung laptop for over a year now.
    In the last month or so it has gotten very slow.
    I suspected hard disk problems but waited too long to repair the disk.
    Now I can't boot into windows.
    I get this error:
    Boot/BCD
    The boot configuration Data for you PC is missing or contains errors.

I have a USB install media for win 10 so I use it to get to the command prompt.
    Ran chkdsk /f c:
    Took a full day but it said it found a fixed errors.
    Tried to reboot to win 10. Still no love.

Went back to the advanced options on my USB media. Run the "Fix startup"

Still nothing

USB media to do a install keeping all my files.
    Message:The drive where windows. 10 is installed is locked...........

Back to the command prompt
    bootrec /fixMbr
    Said successful
    bootrec /fixboot
    Element not found
    bootrec /RebuildBcd
    Element not found

Diskpart shows a healthy ntsb volumn 2 drive c as it should.

I am not sure what to do next to avoid a clean install losing all my files

Any help would be appreciated:

:)

ducecoop, May 2, 2017
  2. pot toga Win User

can't active after reinstall

I had upgraded from win 7 license to win 10 (activated)

I backup product key, formatted hard drive and reinstall win 10 with iso file downloaded from internet.

after reinstall, window can't active with backup key, Error code: 0xC004C003

pot toga, May 2, 2017
  3. cant find drive on computer

I can't find a drive on my computer. Also, trying to reinstall win. 10.?

cherylpoirrier, May 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Can't reinstall win 10

Hi, download and boot from Kyhi's boot DVD/drive (at the top of the Software and Apps section here).

Boot from that into its version of Win 10.

Run HDTune (on Kyhi's disk) and check your disk. (Or disks - how many are there in your laptop?)
    You can download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) too if you like if you want more info.

If the disk seems ok, you can try running Macrium's quite comprehensive FixBoot tool (Macrium Reflect is on Kyhi's disk)
    Fix Boot Problems

Data recovery and backup
    If you still can't boot to Windows or there are other problems, and you don't have backups (as everyone needs to have)then you can try to recover what you can from your hard disk to an external drive, assuming you can access data on the disk.For the future, as and when you get your system running again, start using disk imaging routinely (everyone who contributes here regularly does)

We recommend Macrium Reflect (free) _ its boot medium and large external storage for images. That way you have full backups, and can restore your PC or data even if your disk fails or is inaccessible, or your laptop is stolen, and have a second chance without technical help.

dalchina, May 2, 2017
  5. ducecoop Win User
    Unfortunately this is my only computer and I do not have access to another or to a external HD to download or backup at this point.
    I am currently living in the Philippines and Having several computers and multiple back up drives is just not a luxury I have now like I did in USA.
    I think my only options are some command line repair I am not familiar with or a fresh install from my USB win 10 media.
    Thanks for the replies

ducecoop, May 2, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    I have not used these commands but saw your post.

See the last part of this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...startup-issues

These are some additional links:
    How to use the Command Prompt to fix issues with your PCs boot records | Digital Citizen
    How to Repair Windows Bootloader Problems (If Your Computer Wont Start)
    Windows 10 Wont Boot? Fix it with Startup Repair and BootRec Commands
    Rescue an ailing system: Launch Windows 10 Startup Repair from the Recovery Drive - TechRepublic

If you can obtain a flash drive you might be able to find a friend that would be willing to download a windows 10 iso for you so that you can try to fix your operating system with the windows advanced troubleshooting menu.

This is the web site to download the windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10

Each computer manufacture has a F key or combination of keys to use to be able to boot from a USB drive. This is accomplished without having to change the bios boot order. Once you know the F key or combination of keys and whether you will hold or repetitively click them you then can use the windows 10 iso advanced troubleshooting menu.

zbook, May 2, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    If you don't know anyone with another PC, I suggest you try an internet café.

I taught in China for some years, and like you, had one laptop. But I always had with me some backup tools. (A boot disk and a USB drive are not huge things to carry). Backups are essential - losing data without a backup is a painful lesson.

And a number of people find their PCs become unbootable for a variety of reasons- during an upgrade, because of disk failure, some incompatible program etc etc. You have to be prepared for that, unfortunately.

dalchina, May 2, 2017
  8. ducecoop Win User

Can't reinstall win 10

Thanks for your reply yes I have considered that.
    However most do not
    Allow you connecting your personal USB in fact most have those drives.
    I am checking more cafes for that option.
    Thanks much

ducecoop, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't reinstall win 10

1. Can't reinstall win 10 - Similar Threads - Can't reinstall

2. Can't reinstall callibre app that I purchased from microsoft store on the same pc. and I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reinstall callibre app that I purchased from microsoft store on the same pc. and I...: I can't reinstall calibre - Ebook management app that I purchased from Microsoft store on the same pc. and I never used this app. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-reinstall-callibre-app-that-i-purchased-from/0b632c90-74d3-4803-94e4-cf72b998e6ad
  3. Can't reinstall callibre app that I purchased from microsoft store on the same pc. and I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't reinstall callibre app that I purchased from microsoft store on the same pc. and I...: I can't reinstall calibre - Ebook management app that I purchased from Microsoft store on the same pc. and I never used this app. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-reinstall-callibre-app-that-i-purchased-from/0b632c90-74d3-4803-94e4-cf72b998e6ad
  4. minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get minecraft to reinstall. only...

minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get minecraft to reinstall. only...: Minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get Minecraft to reinstall. only option to purchase again.microsoft account shows it was purchased in Jan, but there is no option to download or install....
  5. minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get minecraft to reinstall. only...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get minecraft to reinstall. only...: Minecraft windows 11, had to replace hard drive, now can't get Minecraft to reinstall. only option to purchase again.microsoft account shows it was purchased in Jan, but there is no option to download or install....
  6. can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling: Hi i can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling it and don't know what to do to fix it,i've tried some things i've seen online but i can't get it to work.This is the message i get when trying to reinstall it.the procedure entry point av_buffer_create could not be located in...
  7. can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling

can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling: Hi i can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling it and don't know what to do to fix it,i've tried some things i've seen online but i can't get it to work.This is the message i get when trying to reinstall it.the procedure entry point av_buffer_create could not be located in...
  8. Windows 11 apps not launching and can't access safe mode to uninstall/reinstall video...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 apps not launching and can't access safe mode to uninstall/reinstall video...: Recently windows 11 has been rebooting with a DWM failure message.I uninstalled the old AMD Ryzen video driver rebooted and then installed the latest ATI minimal driver from their website.The computer reboots "fine" now but nothing will run. I can't get into the control panel...
  9. Windows 11 apps not launching and can't access safe mode to uninstall/reinstall video...

Windows 11 apps not launching and can't access safe mode to uninstall/reinstall video...: Recently windows 11 has been rebooting with a DWM failure message.I uninstalled the old AMD Ryzen video driver rebooted and then installed the latest ATI minimal driver from their website.The computer reboots "fine" now but nothing will run. I can't get into the control panel...
  10. Can't reinstall Win11. Gets stuck at Hardware check. Can't bypass.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reinstall Win11. Gets stuck at Hardware check. Can't bypass.: I have Win11 installed on Win11-compatible hardware Ryzen 5800X & X570 MoBo and yet every time I try to reinstall Windows, it stops at the hardware check saying it can't determine if my PC can run Win11.I have tried every suggested means of bypassing the Hardware Check, yet...