Windows 10: Can't reinstall Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Discus and support Can't reinstall Windows 10 Pro 64bit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I originally upgraded to Win 10 over Win 8.1 when it first came out. Recently it started to slow up and I decided to reinstall from a DVD which I'd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mustang, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Mustang Win User

Can't reinstall Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I originally upgraded to Win 10 over Win 8.1 when it first came out. Recently it started to slow up and I decided to reinstall from a DVD which I'd burnt as ISO disc from Win10 software from Microsoft download site. I had also saved the product code for reinstalling.

However, when I tried to boot from the installation disc, despite the BIOS being set to boot first from optical drive, it would not detect the ISO DVD on boot up. I worked around this by disconnecting all HDs, and once Win10 began installing on the RAM, I hot connected the HD which is an SSD Corsair.

It loaded start-up OK, and I installed the product key. But when it got to the point where it showed the HD on which to install the OS, a message came up saying the hard drive was locked and it could not install on it.

So I reloaded Win 8.1 Pro and then tried to install Win10 from the installation DVD in the optical drive on the active OS. It got to about 70% and failed. After trying repair option, it failed again and auto and reverted back to Win 8.1.

So I'm stuck on 8.1 despite having used W10 ever since it was released. Any suggestions? *Sad

:)

Mustang, Dec 31, 2015

2. Reinstall or clean install of Windows 10 Pro

How do I know I am reinstalling Windows 10 Pro when using the Windows 10 creation media? Only options are Windows 10 (32bit) and Windows 10 (64bit). I will be upgrading from Windows 8.1 Pro. I want to have a reinstall DVD/USB for a possible reinstall,
    possibly clean install.

DanlSnyder, Dec 31, 2015
  3. RICKYWEST Win User
    Will Windows 10 PRO run faster that Windows 10 Home?

[Windows 10 PRO 64bit ,QUESTIONS ? ]

- // IS THERE ANYTHING IN Windows 10 Pro 64bit THAT WILL MAKE MY COMPUTER RUN FASTER THAN HAVING REGULAR Windows 10 64bit ?....

IN OTHER WORDS SHOULD I BUY WINDOWS 10 PRO 64bit TO IMPROVE THE WORKING SPEED OF MY COMPUTER THAT IS RUNNING WINDOWS 10 64bit ? ...

RICKYWEST, Dec 31, 2015
  4. caperjack Win User

caperjack, Dec 31, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    Strange.

I wonder what use you might have made of the product key. You don't get a real one with the upgrade.

All that I can think of regarding the DVD is that it is corrupt. When you tried re-installing 8.1 and upgrading that, you didn't need the DVD. 8.1 is capable of mounting the .iso as a virtual drive and upgrading from that.

bobkn, Dec 31, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    How old is the DVD? If it as made before November, you need to download Windows 10 again and create a new DVD or USB because a new build of Windows 10 was released in November (or mount the new ISO for an upgrade install).

NavyLCDR, Dec 31, 2015
  7. Berton Win User
    I used the Media Creation Tool just a couple of days ago and got 10586.0, my current installs are at .36 after getting updates.

Berton, Dec 31, 2015
  8. Mustang Win User

Update: Apologies to everyone, and thanks to all for the input. I finally found the answer to the problem. After swapping out RAM and DVD burner, as a last resort I ran the PC on my backroom setup, with only the monitor, mouse and keyboard plugged in, and it ran all installation DVDs flawlessly.

Prior to this I had found a work around to the boot issue. On booting the installation DVD, I could see the green light flashing on the burner, showing it was working. But no message came up saying: "Press any key to boot from disk." So I tried pressing any key anyhow, and it booted the installation to the RAM!

However, when I ran the PC hooked up back on my main setup, once again it would not show the press any key message. I realized I had been running it in the backroom with no extraneous plugins. So I unplugged the printer, webcam, eSATA, etc. But still to no avail.

Finally the penny dropped and I realized I had not unplugged a recently added HDMI cable from my PC to my TV. And that was the culprit. It was an expensive cable with built in amplifier to maintain the signal quality.

So now everything is working flawlessly again. And Win 10 is up and running. Cheers *Biggrin

Mustang, Jan 3, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Somebody ought to put an "Any Key" button to KB. There was one for Mac I think !!!
    I always use Space key when Any Key is required, seems to responds to it best.

CountMike, Jan 3, 2016
  10. Mustang Win User
    Hi Mike, agree it would be good to have "Any Key" on keyboard. I usually hit Enter and that works quite well.

Cheers *Cool

Mustang, Jan 3, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    Sometimes, something changes on the screen while any key is pressed and Enter activates that instead, had few cases like that and something unexpected happened.

CountMike, Jan 3, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    I've also had that happen a few times.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't reinstall Windows 10 Pro 64bit - Similar Threads - Can't reinstall Pro

2. Windows 10 pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 pro 64bit: I'm looking for the download link for windows 10 pro 64 bit. All I can find is windows 10 home. I have a key already for windows 10 pro. But I need to wipe my system to install windows 10 it has really old windows atm...
  3. windows 10 pro 32bit to windows 10 pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 pro 32bit to windows 10 pro 64bit: I bought a brand new windows 10 pro 32bit and not yet installed. can I installed it but i will choose 64bit? Thanks. Andrew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-32bit-to-windows-10-pro-64bit/f3d79f3d-6aeb-4377-ab55-b5f0be713a09
  4. BSOD Windows 10 Pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD Windows 10 Pro 64bit: Hello I have just built a new PC with the following specs and it gives me BSOD every 5 mins or so. How can I locate the minidump files to share them with you? I have the following specs CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 RAM: Corsair 3200Mhz XMP enabled MB: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite...
  5. Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1903 update

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1903 update: Hi there ! I have 2 versions of Windows , Home and Pro. I have upgraded Home version to 1903 with no problems. Windows update recognize update automatically and installed it. While opposite at Pro version. Windows update doesn't find anything. So, i have downloaded...
  6. Correio do Windows 10 Pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Correio do Windows 10 Pro 64bit: Boa tarde, Atualizei para o Windows 10 Pro 64Bits. A aplicação Correio do Windows não me permite associar a minha conta Gmail à conta Outlook. Quando termino a associação obtenho esta mensagem de erro: [ATTACH] Agradeço ajuda. Renato Casquilho *** Email address is...
  7. kill dwm.exe windows 10 pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Support
    kill dwm.exe windows 10 pro 64bit: Hello, do someone know how to kill dwm.exe temporarily in windows 10, it adds input lag. I used to turn that off in windows 7. And i want batch file for it, so i don't have to kill that manually all the time. I have nvidia drivers. Thanks. 118059
  8. Several issues on Windows 10 Pro 64bit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Several issues on Windows 10 Pro 64bit: Hey, For some time now, my PC is having some issues. 1. When Right click Computer icon > Manage, I get the error attached and when clicking OK, it works fine. If I use the run command (Win key + R > compmgmt.msc), it opens with no error. Attachment 139254 2. Sometime...
  9. No updates at all on Windows 10 Pro 64bit

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    No updates at all on Windows 10 Pro 64bit: Humble apologies if query as been asked before. On laptop I have Windows 10 Pro installed, and I have had no updates at all since doing a clean install last November, admittedly I do not use the Dell Vostro that much these days, but surely something should have come down the...
  10. Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit

Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit: I had a activated version of Windows 7 pro 64 bit which got automatically approved for upgrade to Windows 10 pro 64 bit some months ago. The upgrade to Windows 10 took place before the free upgrade deadline. I had a boot issue with Windows 10 after I merged some unused...