Windows 10: Can't reliably access my router setup screen after W10

Discus and support Can't reliably access my router setup screen after W10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have three computers wired to my D-Link DSL-504T modem/router. Since upgrading two of my PCs to Widows 10 Pro (activated, clean install) I can no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Fiendish, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Fiendish Win User

Can't reliably access my router setup screen after W10

I have three computers wired to my D-Link DSL-504T modem/router.

Since upgrading two of my PCs to Widows 10 Pro (activated, clean install) I can no longer get reliable access to my routers configuration screen (192.168.1.1) through these PCs, although my third computer that is still running WinXP has no problem at all. Internet access on all three computers is unaffected and works perfectly.

The two W10 computers get to the router login screen, accept my username and password and then try and display the next status page whereupon the following happens:

Firefox: Stops with 'The connection was reset' error
    Edge and Internet Explorer: Sit waiting forever (or as long as I'm prepared to wait!)
    Chrome: Occasionally displays part of the status page, but mostly just sits there waiting.

The WinXP PC just sails along, displaying every page instantly and putting two fingers up to its more modern brethren*Tongue!

I've reset the router and that makes no difference. I've turned off the Windows firewall and that makes no difference. It can't be my AV software (NOD32) as that is only running on one of the W10 PCs. I've flushed the DNS and tried just about everything I can think of and still the two W10 machines fail.

A google search reveals that other people have experienced this problem with other OS's, but no-one has come up with a definitive solution and all the many suggestions that I've tried have made not the slightest difference.

Any of you wise people have any ideas? Pretty please!

Tim

:)

Fiendish, Aug 6, 2015

2. Can't reliably access my router setup screen since W10

Cannot access my router since W10 is installed on my laptop.

I too have internet access. But if I try 192.168.1.1 I get the
    502 - Bad Gateway error page !?!?!?

Please someone this issue has been open for almost a year now.

Hugues Lavoie, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Can't reliably access my router setup screen since W10

Just thought I'd try a 'bump' to see if any human (at Microsoft) is listening and reading.

I've tried a clean install on my second W10 machine and the problems still exist. No amount of fiddling will cure it.

FiendishTB, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Skalli Win User

Hey there,

two fast ideas:

a) Have you tried setting a static IP (same subnet as router) and then trying to acces the router again?
    b) Is your network a private or public network? Win10 seems to like defaulting networks to public, maybe there are some bugs (you surely saw all the threads and posts about "no connection"). I would try to change it to private and try it again.

Skalli, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Fiendish Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions Skalli.

Same problem with a static address *Banghead.

My network profile if PUBLIC... not too sure how to force it to PRIVATE (I've refrained from setting up a Homegroup/Workgroup or sharing any devices until this problem is sorted).

Tim

Fiendish, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Fiendish Win User
    Well I set up a Homegroup which changed my network profile from PUBLIC to PRIVATE but still no luck.

What's so weird is that the opening login screen of my router setup loads instantly and correctly and the fields accept my username and password (which at the moment are the default admin/admin), but it won't progress any further.

It's as if something is stopping the script from running. I've changed all manner of permissions and what-not but still the problem persists...

It's doing my head in!

Tim

Fiendish, Aug 7, 2015
  7. MAN
    man Win User
    same problem
    d link 2540 t
    can not open some setting page
    router runing good
    from any pc log in without any problem
    jsut pc run with win10
    in ie 11 blank page
    in google chrome some page run
    but some pages no like status and wan setting
    please helpppppppppppppppp

8. Fiendish Win User

Sorry man, can't help!

The problem still exists with my system and nothing I try resolves the issue.

Contacting D-Link was a waste of time... same old "you've forgotten your password" (I haven't) / "reset you router" (I have).

Tim

Fiendish, Aug 14, 2015
  9. MAN
    man Win User
    emailing d link 2 time no answr
    try y amny option no way
    no body have idea
    only wan setting page not working (chrome)
    ie 11 all seting pages not loaded

10. I believe dlink routers require java enabled browsers, so maybe check if java plugin is working properly in your browsers.

sciencegeek, Aug 21, 2015
  11. MAN
    man Win User
    thank you
    yes try both 32 and 64 java plug in
    it work fine with y site base on java
    only this pag which load wan setting

just can read page no update values
    os setting

any anothe idea please
    thank for response

12. Fiendish Win User
    Man, at least you're able to access some of your setup pages *Smile. Both my W10 systems still wont get beyond the login screen (well, they try to draw and display the next page, but fail in the process).

I too have the Java plugin installed but I'm assured by D-Link that it's unnecessary and not required to run the router setup scripts.

Head-scrathching....

Tim

Fiendish, Aug 22, 2015
  13. Newto10 Win User

I have exactly this problem and it seems to be router independent. New fresh install of Win 10 (x64) yesterday and bare bones network functioning OK (no group set up yet) but found all attempts to access the Asus DSL-N55U router met with either "Connection Reset" no action or "Web Page Unavailable". On several occasions, hitting the "Try Again" button three or four times very quickly got me either a log in page or a partly rendered page from the setup software but trying to make any changes sent me back to Connection Reset. This happens on (newly installed) Firefox, Edge and Chrome.
    Pinging the gateway address shows it's still there and I can browse the internet - or at least I could until I tried a Factory Reset and found it impossible to get back in, even using the Asus Firmware Recovery program.
    I get the same issue with my spare D-Link DSL 2750U but it did let me in once yesterday long enough to put in the ISP details but it took half a dozen tries to get them saved properly.
    I've reset computer and router many times, renewed the IP addresses and tried a static but all in vain.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem or even some new suggestions?

Newto10, Nov 23, 2015
  14. Fiendish Win User
    Just thought I'd cap this thread.

After much faffing around and a long chat with technical support it seems that NOD32 has been my problem all along*Confused. Nobody at ESET UK knows quite why NOD32 screws up communication with my D-Link router but it does (and has been demonstrated to do so), so I'm now using MS Defender and all is once again hunky-dory.

Doesn't help anyone else I'm afraid.

Tim

Fiendish, Jan 18, 2016
  15. ste0 Win User
    similar symptoms, but certainly not a NOD thing...

D-Link router DSL-2640 in Win10 @ 192.168.1.1
    Can access management page using Chrome and Maxthon (webkit mode), however the ability to delete dynamically assigned IP address is broken.
    Cannot access via IE11, browser shows nothing after the login prompt. All above suggestions have been tried. On other PCs with older IE versions, no issues accessing router management page with full functionality.

Thema:

1. Can't reliably access my router setup screen after W10 - Similar Threads - Can't reliably access

2. Can’t access my router dashboard.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t access my router dashboard.: Hi all I can’t seem to connect to my sky router dashboard on my PC. When I input the IP address in the address bar I get a “hmmmm.... can’t reach this page Err_connection refused” message. I’m running windows 10 pro. Version 20H2 Build 19042.804 I also run hyperV on this...
  3. Question about accessing my router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about accessing my router: I have Windows 10 2004 update. No more updates available at this time. For a while now, I have not been able to access my router using the standard 192.168.X.X. It shows up as cannot connect to the webpage, as if I don't have my wifi on. However, I AM able to connect using my...
  4. Can't connect to my router

Can't connect to my router: Everything seems to work fine with my router. Internet, email, wifi etc. all are working but today I noticed I can't connect to my router using 192.168.1.1 I check ipconfig and that is the gateway and what I've always used. I've changed nothing since last week when it was...
  5. Can't connect to my router

Can't connect to my router: Everything seems to work fine with my router. Internet, email, wifi etc. all are working but today I noticed I can't connect to my router using 192.168.1.1 I check ipconfig and that is the gateway and what I've always used. I've changed nothing since last week when it was...
  6. Can't access router.

Can't access router.: MY configuration: I an trying to adjust to a recent change in my home network. I have Comcast phone, TV and Internet. The Comcast modem/router/Tele connection is in the basement. To have strong wireless upstairs, on the 2nd floor -- at the other end of the cable -- is another...
  7. Can't access router config page 192.168.1.1

Can't access router config page 192.168.1.1: I am on Win 10 Home 64 bit, I noticed that I cannot reach my wi-fi router config page http://192.168.1.1. Doing so gives me the "can't reach this site" on all browsers - Chrome, FF, IE, Edge. I am able to ping 192.168.1.1 I have tried various suggestions like disabling...
  8. Can't get Internet access on my router

Can't get Internet access on my router: I have a desktop connected by wire to my Bell modem. I also have a laptop connected via wifi. I had a problem with updates not installing on the laptop so I did a restore to a previous save (about two weeks ago. When it completed, I can recognize my modem (Bell500) but when I...
  9. Can't Access Lock Screen Settings After Upgrading W10 Home to 16184

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Access Lock Screen Settings After Upgrading W10 Home to 16184: Hello all, Could someone see if they can successfully access the W10 Home lock screen settings after upgrading to Insider 16184.1001 (W10 Pro is OK)? When I attempt to do so, the view appears for a few seconds and then disappears without reason. I am also getting a...
  10. W10 Setup can't start after downloading MediaCreationTool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Setup can't start after downloading MediaCreationTool: I have the Get Windows 10 App but I couldn't wait for it as I have limited internet access. I downloaded the 64-bit Media Creation Tool after selecting the option to download for this computer and when I ran it the first time, it started downloading the Windows 10 setup file....