Windows 10: Can't remove orphaned OS from msconfig, still shows Selective Boot

Discus and support Can't remove orphaned OS from msconfig, still shows Selective Boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This morning, I turned on my laptop and noticed it hung on the black screen for too long. I pressed the enter key, and the login screen finally popped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ideaman924, May 14, 2016.

1. Can't remove orphaned OS from msconfig, still shows Selective Boot

This morning, I turned on my laptop and noticed it hung on the black screen for too long. I pressed the enter key, and the login screen finally popped up. Thinking it was a temporary issue, I rebooted it to check it out. Alas, I have to keep pressing the enter key whenever the black screen between the spinning wheel and the login screen comes up.

I found out that it was trying to multi-boot, when I saw a flicker of a image when I pressed enter. Naturally, this led me to msconfig.exe. I found out that there were actually two boot entries, and not one, which was making Windows ask me what version I wanted to choose.

Here's a screenshot:

Can't remove orphaned OS from msconfig, still shows Selective Boot [​IMG]

You see, whenever I choose the second OS, and press delete, it would delete. But after I press OK, all changes are lost and whenever I go back to msconfig.exe, I still have the stupid OS there. I have already tried Safe Mode, so that's not the problem.

And it gets worse. I found out that msconfig.exe keeps defaulting to Selective Boot. Like the 2nd OS problem above, it changes, but when I press OK, it defaults back to Selective Boot and I can see it when I next launch msconfig.exe. I have also tested this in safe mode.

I also tried a combination of deleting methods - deleting it and then closing the window, deleting it and then pressing apply and then pressing OK, deleting it and pressing OK. None of it works.

Any ideas? I have also tried launching msconfig.exe as administrator, but it doesn't work.

:)

ideaman924, May 14, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, May 14, 2016
  3. Can't remove optional os in msconfig when select normal startup

I want to remove Windows 10 Pro(highlighted) but when I click delete and go to general tab and select normal mode and back to boot tab it's not remove

LawleyLeylaw, May 14, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Can't remove orphaned OS from msconfig, still shows Selective Boot

Hi Ideaman924 and welcome to Ten Forums!

You can try to repair startup behavior of Windows.

Pres SHIFT (and hold) and right click on Start button and select restart (still holding shift), You will get to multiple restart and repair options where you can select Repair start option or just troubleshoot.

Post back how it goes.

AndreTen, May 14, 2016
  5. Hey AndreTen,

Got your message, tried fix startup. It failed with an error log. Will try uploading it, wait a sec.

Sorry about the mix-up. Actually, the entire message was that it was unable to detect any problems. It just looked similar to an error message.

So that can't help me, what now?

ideaman924, May 14, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, May 14, 2016
  7. Tried it, worked, but I still can't get to Normal Boot. If I try, the boot order gets messed up again and it still defaults to selective boot. Its either a problem on Microsofts end or my computer has a faulty, corrupted configs file somewhere.

Microsoft get your shit together, this shouldn't be too hard.

ideaman924, May 15, 2016
  8. AndreTen Win User

Can you show picture of your disk management configuration. And System properties - Startup Like this:

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't remove orphaned OS from msconfig, still shows Selective Boot - Similar Threads - Can't remove orphaned

2. A problem with no os showing at msconfig, this the reasson for can't boot in safe mode,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A problem with no os showing at msconfig, this the reasson for can't boot in safe mode,...: Hello, how can fix this issue in win 10 pro 21h1? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-problem-with-no-os-showing-at-msconfig-this-the/3706ce5b-d6ab-4057-886e-a6da8e8f4c90
  3. A problem with no os showing at msconfig, this the reasson for can't boot in safe mode,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A problem with no os showing at msconfig, this the reasson for can't boot in safe mode,...: Hello, how can fix this issue in win 10 pro 21h1? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-problem-with-no-os-showing-at-msconfig-this-the/3706ce5b-d6ab-4057-886e-a6da8e8f4c90
  4. A problem with no os showing at msconfig, this the reasson for can't boot in safe mode,...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Msconfig is selective not normal

in Windows 10 Customization
    Msconfig is selective not normal: I have tried to set to normal by applying but it reverts to selective. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msconfig-is-selective-not-normal/4f88e2be-a92d-4996-a591-7e170852ec2b
  6. msconfig has not os listed in Boot section

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    msconfig has not os listed in Boot section: Ms config has no OS listed in boot section. I think this is why I am Having a problem. ""Sorry, we're having trouble determining if your PC can run windows 10."" It is running windows 10 system properties Startup and recovery system startup Default operating...
  7. OS selection menu not showing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS selection menu not showing: I have windows 10 along with windows 7 installed. The problem is that it never shows the os selection menu and always boots into windows 10, never windows 7. When i change system configuration a little (for example, changing time for wich menu is shown) it shows again for...
  8. MSConfig & Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    MSConfig & Selective Startup: So msconfig is driving me nuts as whenever i just click normal or diagonstic boot it reverts to selective startup. I had this issue in Windows 7 and i fixed it somehow. Any help? 9138
  9. OS Boot Selection Screen

OS Boot Selection Screen: Hi there reader/expert, More a question than an actual problem. I have a dual boot system with both 8.1x64 and 10x64 on my 240GB SSD and I always used to have a nice boot selection screen in blue, like on the right side of the picture (something I grabbed from the inet)....
  10. Removing a OS from boot menu?

Removing a OS from boot menu?: So i got a new hard drive and installed it few days ago and when i boot up, it asks me every time, which OS i want to boot up. This gets annoying since I only have 1 and I can't find the boot.ini anywhere and websites don't specify how to remove an OS from the boot up screen....