Windows 10: Can't remove pendrive "readyonly" attribute !

Discus and support Can't remove pendrive "readyonly" attribute ! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 8GB Kingston pen-drive that refuses to be formatted. I noticed that it's write protected and tried to make it usable again, but nothing works.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Vladimir, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Vladimir Win User

Can't remove pendrive "readyonly" attribute !

I have a 8GB Kingston pen-drive that refuses to be formatted. I noticed that it's write protected and tried to make it usable again, but nothing works. First I tried DiskPart as follows...

... but after all it remains protected !

I also added a key to registry to avoid disk write protection as follows...

... but again I still cannot use the USB disk !

Please...

Any suggestions ?

*cry

:)

Vladimir, Feb 8, 2015
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Feb 8, 2015
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Can't remove pendrive "readyonly" attribute ! :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Can't remove pendrive "readyonly" attribute ! :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Can't remove pendrive "readyonly" attribute ! :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Can't remove pendrive "readyonly" attribute ! :)

musum, Feb 8, 2015
  4. Winuser Win User

Winuser, Feb 8, 2015
  5. Vladimir Win User
    Vladimir, Feb 8, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
  7. badrobot Win User
    Have you tried formatting it on another machine?

Or if you have another USB drive create a Linux Live USB (Ubuntu or Mint) and try your luck with it. It doesn't cost anything but only a little of your time. *Smile

badrobot, Feb 10, 2015
  8. Vladimir Win User

Thanks for the tips. I'll try !

Here are pics of what I've been playing in the registry.

Can't remove pendrive "readyonly" attribute ! [​IMG]

1) When I change the value of "USBSTOR/Start" from 3 to any other value the pen-drive doesn't appear in "My Computer"
    2) Changing "STORAGEDEVICEPOLICIES/WriteProtect" from 1 to 0 doesn't resolve. I still can't format it.

Vladimir, Feb 20, 2015
  9. Vladimir Win User
    Thanks for the tips. I already tried another rig, but the Linux idea is nice !

Here are pics of what I've been playing in the registry.

1) When I change the value of "USBSTOR/Start" from 3 to any other value the pen-drive doesn't appear in "My Computer"
    2) Changing "STORAGEDEVICEPOLICIES/WriteProtect" from 1 to 0 doesn't resolve. I still can't format it.

I'm gonna try to format it under Linux now !

Vladimir, Feb 20, 2015
  10. What's the specific model? Data Traveler?
    Tech Support Search | Kingston Technology

Is there a write protect switch on the thumb drive?
    Was the data encrypted?

I had a ext WD that often required a chkdsk to clear the read only bit. The most success was running a read only check disk - no options

In an elevated command prompt, or even better from a external boot (install disk), run chkdsk <drive letter>
    in disk management , Action menu -> Rescan disks
    right click the disk for the thumb drive.
    select properties
    press the Policies tab
    clear the checkbox for enable write caching on this device
    tick Turn off windows write cache buffer flushing
    Press the [OK] button

Kingston has an online chat - maybe they have a good idea - chat is free! Only certain times though.

Slartybart, Feb 21, 2015
  11. Vladimir Win User
    It's a Kingston DataTraveler 8GB. I bought it a month ago and the problems started suddenly a week ago. I'm gonna try your suggestions. Thanks !

Vladimir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't remove pendrive "readyonly" attribute ! - Similar Threads - Can't remove pendrive

2. Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder: For some reason, a folder with some important data I have stored is sett as "Read Only." In the Security settings, permission is given to every user to modify the files and such, which is something I'm trying to do with a QGIS project I'm working on. For whatever reason, it...
  3. Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Remove "READ ONLY" Attribute Setting from Folder: For some reason, a folder with some important data I have stored is sett as "Read Only." In the Security settings, permission is given to every user to modify the files and such, which is something I'm trying to do with a QGIS project I'm working on. For whatever reason, it...
  4. Unable to remove appxpackage with -AllUsers attribute

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to remove appxpackage with -AllUsers attribute: Hello Team,Am trying to use Remove-AppxPackage command to remove an appx package for all the users, it fails with below error. However, If I run the command without -AllUsers attributes it works.CommandRemove-appxpackage...
  5. Unable to remove appxpackage with -AllUsers attribute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove appxpackage with -AllUsers attribute: Hello Team,Am trying to use Remove-AppxPackage command to remove an appx package for all the users, it fails with below error. However, If I run the command without -AllUsers attributes it works.CommandRemove-appxpackage...
  6. Unable to remove appxpackage with -AllUsers attribute

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I Can't Rename My Pendrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I Can't Rename My Pendrive: My father brought me a hp 64 GB pen drive do you want to see the pen drive here it is ---> I made a mistake that I used autorun to change the drive picture but I didn't format it to use the autorun. a few months later our t doesn't show the Pendrive So I...
  8. I Can't Rename My Pendrive

I Can't Rename My Pendrive: My father brought me a hp 64 GB pen drive do you want to see the pen drive here it is ---> I made a mistake that I used autorun to change the drive picture but I didn't format it to use the autorun. a few months later our t doesn't show the Pendrive So I...
  9. I Can't Rename My Pendrive

I Can't Rename My Pendrive: My father brought me a hp 64 GB pen drive do you want to see the pen drive here it is --->[ATTACH] I made a mistake that I used autorun to change the drive picture but I didn't format it to use the autorun. a few months later our t doesn't show the...
  10. Remove write protection in windows 10 pendrive.

Remove write protection in windows 10 pendrive.: Hi, I bought a windows 10 home retail version which had a usb 3.0 pendrive. However, the version of windows in the pendrive was very old. So I thought to download the latest iso and flash it into that pendrive. But when I went to flash that, a message showed up telling...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. DISKPART> attributes disk Estado Atual Somente Leitura: Sim Somente leitura : Não Disco de Inicialização: Não Disco de Arquivo de Paginação: Não Disco de Arquivo de Hibernação: Não Disco de Despejo de Memória: Não Disco armazenado em cluster: Não