Windows 10: Can’t remove searchscopes: is doing a clean install a good idea?

Discus and support Can’t remove searchscopes: is doing a clean install a good idea? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can’t remove searchscopes: is doing a clean install a good idea? My friend has a Win10 HP (x64) desktop and it has become seriously affected by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MeAndMyComputer, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Can’t remove searchscopes: is doing a clean install a good idea?

Can’t remove searchscopes: is doing a clean install a good idea?

My friend has a Win10 HP (x64) desktop and it has become seriously affected by searchscopes.
    The computer is as slow as molasses. I’ve tried to use
    Remove virus (Easy Removal Guide) but no luck.
    Running AdwCleaner finds 3, sometimes as many as 7 searchscopes and removes what it finds. But upon restart, searchscopes returns.
    Installed Malwarebytes 14-day free trial: no threats found.

Also he has Norton 360 and he tells me it either hasn’t found searchscopes or doesn’t remove it even after running a full scan

I’d like to do a clean install if it’s a good idea.
    Even though searchscopes is still somewhere in the computer, can I do clean install?
    I’m not sure about creating install media on an “infected” computer.
    His computer originally had Win10 HP (x64) and has Legacy BIOS

Can I create Win10 install media on my computer and then use that media to do the clean install on his computer?
    I have Win 10 Pro instead of HP: and it’s a 64-bit system like his.
    Can I create Win10 HP (X64) install media on my computer?
    I was looking at but I’m not sure if either one would do what I’d like to do
    Clean Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    &
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

I also ran sfc /scannow and it reported Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 3, 2017

2. doing a clean re-install

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per your query, doing a re- clean install will delete all the files, folders and application in your computer.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Regards

Vanessa

Vanessa Sohtun, Apr 3, 2017
  3. doing a clean re-install

if i clean re install will it delete my files and data from other disks too like F,G ?

MuhammadWahab, Apr 3, 2017
  4. bobkn Win User

Yes, you can use the Media Creation Tool to make a bootable USB drive (or a DVD, which is not my preferred medium).

You can do it to directly make a bootable USB drive. I have always downloaded the .ISO, and used the diskpart command line utility to prepare a bootable USB drive. (It's simple, but, if you're careless, you could erase a drive or partition on the wrong drive.)

bobkn, Apr 3, 2017
  5. The process to download the MCT onto my Win 10 Pro laptop & then burning the ISO to DVD & "install" Win 10 Home x64 completed on the Win10 Home x64 desktop. However winver as well as System reports Version 1703 OS Build 15063.0 (Is that the Creators build?). I was expecting to see Version 1607 OS Build 14393.x. My Win 10 Pro laptop has 1607 OS Build 14393.953. In the notification I was requested to reply with how satisfied I was with my Win10 upgrade so it appears I did an upgrade instead of a clean install. I was never requested to enter the product key during the process of what I thought was an install. On the System page there is a link to "Change the product key or upgrade your edition of Windows". That doesn't sound good to me.

Can I start over or fix that? Would calling Microsoft would help? There's already a valid Win10 Home that had a validated product key.

Now some background. On the Win10 Home x64 desktop I ran into multiple performance problems. MBAM Premium Trial found 3 rootkit threats but it did clean them. But Searchscopes wasn't found by MBAM but was found by AdwCleaner and was never removed. AdwCleaner reported 3 registry entries but upon rebooting Searchscopes always returned.

At that time I tried resetting Win10 but the screen froze on the page where I was supposed to select U.S (I don't recall what the request was for: maybe keyboard layout). After that I couldn't do anything. Hard shutdown, start back up. Wanted to try the Remove virus (Easy Removal Guide) mentioned in post #1 again but couldn't even try it now. The start page had some differences, Internet Explorer kept "shutting down" and EDGE wasn't available anymore. So I guess this is where Searhcopes really starting to wreak havoc on this computer. So on the next Shut down, start up I pressed F11 and factory restored back to Windows 7. That went ok, did a number of WU's but stayed on IE 8 I think it was. If I would have waited a few more days I suppose it would have reached IE 11 but because I had a "clean Win10 ISO" I decided to go with it. Maybe that's why it was considered an upgrade. Even if I would for it to reach IE11, I believe it still would have been considered an upgrade.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 7, 2017
  6. bobkn Win User
    To do a clean install, you have to boot from the DVD. If you run the installer from an existing Windows installation, you can only upgrade.

As of April 5, the latest version of the MCT downloads build 15063 (the Creator's Update). You may as well go wit that.

Skip the product key during the clean installation. Make sure that you install the version that matches your "digital entitlement". If you had Win 10 Home, before, install that. You could install Pro, but it wouldn't activate.

bobkn, Apr 7, 2017
  7. Thanks bobkn the clean install is completed but I will have a few more questions about if I can get the following problem fixed.
    Upon booting back up the Microsoft password doesn't work. I saw one of the tutorials on how to reset the password.
    However, how can I do that if I can't log in and get on the internet?
    My friends wife can access their email account the Microsoft account is based on using her Kindle: can they work from that?
    How about me using my laptop: I'll let my friend use it.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 8, 2017
  8. bobkn Win User

bobkn, Apr 8, 2017
  9. The account is a Microsoft account. I would have set up a local account but I didn't see where the option was to do so. The password I used is the same one he was using before and I have used many times myself. However, since it isn't being accepted now most likely I did a typo but there wasn't a requirement to retype the password a 2nd time to verify the first entry. So it's my fault for that but I equally blame Microsoft. They want our information and go through great pains to know who we are and I do not have a problem with that; however, I don't know if I've ever seen creating a password without verifying that a 2nd password entry matches with the first entry. If there isn't a way around this I'll try the clean install again but I sure would like to keep the setup the way it is now. BTW, I was going to set up a local account as administrator also but hadn't gotten to it yet. Is there anything I can try?

10. bobkn Win User
    I'm confused.

The account has the wrong password, but you can log in to the PC?

bobkn, Apr 8, 2017
  11. I cannot log in to the PC.

EDIT I just started back up and the time is off by 3 hours: it's 1:49 PM Eastern time for me. The time on the screen is 10:49 and I imagine that means it's on Pacific time for some reason. I'll see if I can get into the BIOS to correct that. I'll let you know how that goes.

2nd EDIT:
    The time on the screen was 2:36
    By the time I got Into the BIOS, the time was 02:38:ss and I changed it to 14:38:ss.
    --- Does that mean the time is on 12-hour or 24-hour format?
    Now I get the following message “You can’t sign in to your device right now. Go to account.live.com to fix the problem, or try the last password you used on this device.” Instead of something like “your password is incorrect”.
    --- Is there a limit to how many times to try?

It sounds like I do have the correct password to sign in with after all but because I tried so many times, it’s probably locked out now. I suspect the best course of action is to contact Microsoft.
    --- Maybe just do a new clean install: it might go faster than trying to deal with Microsoft?

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would do a clean install and this time start with a local account. Another advantage with starting with a local account is that you get to pick the name of the user folder that will appear under \Users - it will be the same username you specify for the local account. Then change the local account to a Microsoft account login after the install is done.

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2017
  13. Can’t remove searchscopes: is doing a clean install a good idea?

I would say a clean install is a good idea. When i accidently get a virus, I don't screw with it. I wipe the hard drive and perform a clean install.

pixiegurl83, Apr 9, 2017
  14. I will do the clean install again and create a local account.
    --- Changing the local account to a Microsoft account sounds like a good idea.
    --- I'll recommend that to my friend.

EDIT: The version that was installed was Version 1703 OS Build 15063.0
    --- I imagine it will updated to the latest version during Tuesdays Windows Updates.

However I don't know if someone can help me with this request
    --- How can I make sure I'll be setting up a local account instead of a Microsoft account?
    When I did the clean install, when it came time to create an account, I did not see an option to create a local account so I clicked on Next and on the following page entering an email address was required. Nothing noting it would be a Microsoft or local account. I entered my friends Comcast email address. How it turned out to be a Microsoft account I do not know.
    --- According to some reading I did today, a Microsoft account has to be Hotmail, Outlook or live.com if I remember correctly.
    --- What is live.com?
    Anyway I'll be as vigilant as I can in order to create a local account
    --- But I wanted to ask about How can I make sure I'll be setting up a local account instead of a Microsoft account?
    in case somehow can direct on exactly what to look for.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 9, 2017
  15. Thanks everyone: mission accomplished using the ISO from the DVD.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Can’t remove searchscopes: is doing a clean install a good idea? - Similar Threads - Can’t remove searchscopes

2. Can’t clean install windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t clean install windows 11: I’ve recently put together a new pc but in the middle of setting it up i’ve accidentally selected windows 11 pro rather than windows 11 home. I’ve tried to clean install to select windows 11 home but the selection screen won’t pop up when I reset the computer. I’ve even tried...
  3. Can’t clean install windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t clean install windows 11: I’ve recently put together a new pc but in the middle of setting it up i’ve accidentally selected windows 11 pro rather than windows 11 home. I’ve tried to clean install to select windows 11 home but the selection screen won’t pop up when I reset the computer. I’ve even tried...
  4. Can’t do a clean install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t do a clean install: So I realize there are a lot of things I could have done better, but I’m hoping to salvage this situation. I recently upgraded my boot drive to an nvme ssd, but I was having issues with it not being detected when I’d put my PC into sleep mode. I wasn’t able to find a...
  5. Want to do a clean re-install. Is the "Reset this PC" good enough option?

Want to do a clean re-install. Is the "Reset this PC" good enough option?: Title says it all. Wanna do a clean re-install. Been a while since I did a clean re-install. Kind of don't want to deal with all the drivers etc. Is that option good enough? submitted by /u/IAmNoSherlock [link] [comments]...
  6. Is it a good idea to install the latest update?

Is it a good idea to install the latest update?: I paused my updates a while back and forgot to unpause them. I am still running on the 2/11/2020 update. Should I install the latest cumulative update of just the latest security patches? In case it matters, this is a gaming pc. submitted by /u/Turboyoshi0406 [link]...
  7. Is Britic's Security TRICK a good idea?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Britic's Security TRICK a good idea?: Greetings, I've learned a lot at these forums. Thanks to all you veteran users tolerating a Windows to Mac SWITCHER. I've also learned a lot of British YouTuber Britec. He has a bit of advice here that I find interesting. That you not use your Admin account but instead a...
  8. Can’t boot clean install of Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can’t boot clean install of Win10: i have a dual boot setup and was not able to complete updates on one of the os’s so decided to do a clean install of it with the new update. Used a dvd install after downloading the iso file from MS, the install finished and i was able to get through the initia setup of the...
  9. resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    resizing a partition -is it a good idea?: i have come across a program that can resize a new partition when if the primary disk is too full. and wondering how would resizing a partition benefit me in the long run? -not to say iam running low in memory, but "just in case"*Nerd 71887
  10. 10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?

in Windows 10 Support
    10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?: I've had to fix the mother in laws windows 7 laptop which was in a right state. I've installed the 10 technical preview and it runs sweet, found all drivers, easy peasy. No waiting forever to download updates.......boots faster etc. When it comes to windows 10...