Windows 10: Cant rename files/folders

Discus and support Cant rename files/folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, i've installed W10 x64 today.. In the file explorer I can't rename any file or folder.. F2 not work, right click/rename don't work, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Morten Anakin, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Cant rename files/folders

Hi everyone, i've installed W10 x64 today.. In the file explorer I can't rename any file or folder.. F2 not work, right click/rename don't work, and single left click over the name file/folder don't work.. The only that works is right click, properties, and change the name from there.

From the desktop, all methods works OK, but if i enter in file explorer, not.

I've read A LOT on the web, folder permissions are right, i'm administrator. Try several things, but nothing seems to work.. I'm thinking roll back to W7, any idea? THANKS!

:)

Morten Anakin, Oct 17, 2017
  2. bas1Le Win User

I cannot rename files and folders within certain folders

Cant rename files/folders

Here you can find the solution .Apparently you cant rename file in small icon view.

If you change to any other view you can.

I changed to details and rename worked like a charm

bas1Le, Oct 17, 2017
  3. Cant rename files and folders in the Backup & Sync folder

This is happening after I installed Windows 10 creators update 1709.I cant rename files and folders present in Backup & Sync folder elsewhere it is working fine.Now to rename files and folder I have to click properties and then edit file name in the text
    box field. How to re-enable rename function either by pressing F2 or just by clicking on file name for my backup & sync folder?

PrasadMV511, Oct 17, 2017
  4. Try0x101 Win User

You use Local Account or Microsoft Account for sign-in system?

Try0x101, Oct 17, 2017
  5. First i made a Local Account, then i read that the problem possibly solved with a Microsoft Account, I logged it, but the problem still.. *Sad

6. Try0x101 Win User
    I have similar problems with rights when i create local account during installation of system, but when during installation i sign-in with microsoft account, all normally.

If that not trouble for you, you can try reinstall system and make first sign-in with microsoft account.

Also - you system licensing or cracked? Cracked systems have some troubles with signin-in in microsoft account.

Try0x101, Oct 17, 2017
  7. I'ts really strange.. I made another account, for my mother.. And with her account i can rename files normally.. Can i delete my accoun and re made it?

8. Try0x101 Win User

Control Panel - User Accounts - Remove User Account (And select what account you want delete)

Try0x101, Oct 17, 2017
  9. I reinstall few minutes ago, with a Microsoft Account from the beggining.. At start, all OK, I can edit files and folders normally.. But now i can't again..

10. Babel17 Win User
    Oddly enough I was inspired by a post from either here, or at the sevenforums, when I was searching for a fix. This just happened today after the big fall update was installed. Anyway, the other poster said they fixed their problem by disabling slide show. That got me thinking, and long story short, by switching the icon size from "small" to either a bigger size or Tiles I was able to regain the ability to rename files and folders. Though before this I could rename them by using "Properties", and editing the file within that. I'm guessing/hoping someone at Microsoft made a teensie error in the registry and it slipped by. Hopefully it will get fixed with the next update.

Babel17, Oct 18, 2017
  11. Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File, Repair Performance Counters, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

FreeBooter, Oct 18, 2017
  12. Yeah, at night, after a new installation, several tests, delete my account, generate it again two o three times i realized that the problem is the icons in a type of view.. Dummy error of Microsoft, waiting to fix with next update, but i can now use my W10 *Smile Thanks!

Morten Anakin, Oct 18, 2017
  13. Babel17 Win User

We both had the same problem, and were both able to use the same workaround. Imo this implies the problem originated with the update. I'm glad to see this confirmed well enough for me to put the issue behind me. Thanks for posting the update!

Babel17, Oct 18, 2017
  14. A2kay Win User
    I have the same issue since the fall creators update. Only when view is set to small icons, isn't possible to rename folder or files. Another views no problems

A2kay, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant rename files/folders - Similar Threads - Cant rename files

2. cant name or rename folders or files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant name or rename folders or files: hi ,whenever i create a new folder it just creates as "new folder" then when i try to rename it ,i press rename and it doesn't do noting not even a error message also when i try SHIFT = LEFT CLICK on it ,it doesnt do noting. also i cant rename all my other files please...
  3. cant name or rename folders or files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant name or rename folders or files: hi ,whenever i create a new folder it just creates as "new folder" then when i try to rename it ,i press rename and it doesn't do noting not even a error message also when i try SHIFT = LEFT CLICK on it ,it doesnt do noting. also i cant rename all my other files please...
  4. File Folder rename bug?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Folder rename bug?: Dear all,Is this a bug or not?Have you ever tried to rename a file/folder and get this annoying behavior from Windows 10? See description below:Step 1: Select the file/folderStep 2: Press F2 or right-click on it and select "rename". Windows 10 highlights the whole name in...
  5. cant rename a .sys file

cant rename a .sys file: when i try to rename a .sys file this error pops up if i press No it doesn't rename the file and if i press yes a another error pops up saying I don't have permission , someone just help me rename this file ....
  6. Renaming folders and files

Renaming folders and files: File folders and documents won't rename without refreshing. New folder won't appear without refreshing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-folders-and-files/d173a7c3-230a-4a92-b71b-bb8308c3730d
  7. Cant Open any folder or Rename

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant Open any folder or Rename: I cant Open folders os Rename my computer still thinking when i click on folder and dont Open anyone know what is going? submitted by /u/-aceaM21 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/junx23/cant_open_any_folder_or_rename/
  8. renaming pic files in folder.

renaming pic files in folder.: Various numbers and letters. This was easy with a simple right click on each pic and insert saved name+ 0 2,3,4,5,6. Now the operation is predicting and inserting and duplicating??? Thus needing more and more reworking - Why?...
  9. Rename of files and folders in Offline Folders

Rename of files and folders in Offline Folders: Hi, I have a client who uses offline files on a laptop and has Windows 10, version 1803. He is not able to rename any of the files or folders under his redirected Users folder, which is set to use offline files. I have checked permissions and there are no issues there....
  10. Rename file folder

Rename file folder: When I am trying to rename a number of files. I can do one and then for the next ones the program says the file is in use and cannot be changed. It is not in use anywhere. In order to rename, I have to close right out of File Explorer and then go back in and rename one file...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot rename userfolder as the folder and file is opened in another program