Windows 10: Can't rename or move folders

Discus and support Can't rename or move folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, After installing KB3124200 & KB3116900 updates, I'm no longer able to rename or move folders. When I try, it gives the error "Can't find the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gezginrocker, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Can't rename or move folders

Hello,

After installing KB3124200 & KB3116900 updates, I'm no longer able to rename or move folders. When I try, it gives the error "Can't find the specified file".

I have done sfc /scannow but it didn't help. Also, I have run default file associations registry files from here, but it didn't help either.

I'm going nuts, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

:)

gezginrocker, Jan 2, 2016

2. Can't rename or move folders win10 but i can move and rename files.

Pls try the link here.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Can't rename or move folders win10 but i can move and rename files.

Hi,

All the 5 keys listed above are present in a Windows 10 clean install and I wouldn't remove them.

I've uploaded the FolderDescriptions key (Windows 10 defaults) here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/temp/folder-desc-10.zip

Unzip and extract the REG file to Desktop. Similarly export the FolderDescriptions key in your system, and do a comparison of both. Use a file compare tool, or via online (Diff Checker)

Note down the differences if any and post back.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jan 2, 2016
  4. Can't rename or move folders

I remembered that I had disabled Libraries via a registry file. I re enabled Libraries and voila, now I can rename and move folders. *Smile

gezginrocker, Jan 2, 2016
Thema:

Can't rename or move folders

1. Can't rename or move folders - Similar Threads - Can't rename move

2. Can't delete, rename or move image.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete, rename or move image.: I have two images in my Downloads and I can't delete them. They have weird names which are "data=[a bunch of random letters and numbers]'. Whenever I try to rename them it reverts back into the old name. When I press delete it does NOTHING, I CAN'T EVEN MOVE IT OR COMPRESS IT...
  3. Can't Rename a Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Rename a Folder: I'm trying to get rid of duplicate photos. I used CCleaner which showed duplicates in:"C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Downloads.old"When I look at it, it's path is:"C:\Users\Phil\Documents\Pictures\iCloud Photos\Downloads". When I look at the file, the name is...
  4. Can't rename folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't rename folders: I created a new folder on my surface pro on the C Drive. When I attempt to rename it by tapping on the folder, and then clicking rename it allows me into the folder name, but the minute I bring up the virtual keyboard the focus changes, and I am no longer on the folder name...
  5. "Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder

"Can't find the specified file" when moving/renaming a folder: Hi, I have a problem with my windows that is making me kind of mad to be honest, every time i try to delete, rename, or move a folder, it shows this:[ATTACH] I used that folder as an example, and it happens with every single folder. Some people suggest i do "sfc /scannow",...
  6. Renaming, Deleting, Moving Folder Slow

Renaming, Deleting, Moving Folder Slow: Hi I've been having a problem with a delay Renaming, Deleting, Moving folder which takes at least about 12 seconds this does not happen for files only for the folder. Also if I log into administrator profile and then do Renaming, Deleting, Moving of a folder it works...
  7. Can't rename a folder.

Can't rename a folder.: I love when Explorer won't allow me to rename a folder, when literally nothing is using the folder at all in any **** i n g way, you **** h o l e s. It doesn't even have the courtesy to tell me what ghost program is using the folder....
  8. Renaming and moving folders

Renaming and moving folders: When, if ever, is Microsoft going to fix the highly annoying problem that prevents folders from being moved or renamed? This has existed for some times and all kinds of "fixes" can be found on the Web but none of them work. The only fix is to do it with the Run Command, but...
  9. Can't move or rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't move or rename folders: When I try to move or rename a folder I get Can't find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name. It seems that right-clicking would tell windows where the folder is. When I make a new folder it comes as Folder 1, Folder 2 etc. When I...
  10. Cannot delete, move, rename folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete, move, rename folder: Hello, I am having issues with a folder which I would like to delete. However, whenever I try to do that I am told I need admin access in order to do so. Problem is, I am the admin and if I go to Properties and in the Security tab, I am not allowed to do any changes and...