Windows 10: Can't repair my installation

Discus and support Can't repair my installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm using win 10 Education version. I don't know why some apps stoped to work, like Calculator, Weather Forecast, Search ... I tried to repair with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jaca, Apr 12, 2017.

1. jaca Win User

Can't repair my installation

I'm using win 10 Education version. I don't know why some apps stoped to work, like Calculator, Weather Forecast, Search ... I tried to repair with my win10 installation disk, clicking on Setup. On the repair type choice page only the save nothing option is available
    .There is the message: It is not possible to keep Win settings, personal files, and applications because your current version of Win can be installed in an unsupported directory

I don't know what this means

:)

2. unable to install windows 10

the thing is that my computer has no OS installed on it I can't repair anything systemwise

Bacchuserable, Apr 12, 2017
  3. Can't Start, Repair, or Install Windows.

BSODs are often caused by hardware driver issues.

Interestingly, this issue happened when you were playing a game, which would likely suggest the culprit is the video card.

Does your motherboard support on board graphics adapter? If it does, remove the discrete video card, then connect the monitor the onboard graphics then boot to see if it goes to the desktop.

If not, then I would try simplifying your setup as possible, keeping only the bare essentials, keyboard and mouse connected. If you can remove all internal storage except for the boot drive, that would be recommended.

Another option you have if you want to attempt a clean install:

- Turn on and off the computer 3 times, each time you see the Windows Logo.

- Start the computer again, then it will boot to the Advanced Recovery Environment.

- Click Advanced Options

- Click Troubleshoot

- Click Reset this PC then follow the on screen instructions.

Before you do that, you could use the opportunity to try boot into Safe Mode then disable the Display adapter then attempt to boot in normal mode.

Learn more:

How to Fix a Black Screen in Windows 10

Includes some remedies you can try.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I assume you're trying to do an in-place upgrade repair install (run setup.exe when booted normally).
    I agree, it's very unclear and only hints at the actual thing Windows is moaning about.

The best thing to do with error messages is to search using the exact text of the error message, which I think is
    You can't keep Windows settings, personal files and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory

What this means is you have some setting which you have changed from the default so some significant folder is not in its default position. I think it may also occur if you don't have enough free space.

Have you ever changed the path to any system folders in the registry?

A typical example would be
    To change the registry, follow these steps:

• Start Registry Editor by entering “Regedit” in the search All programs.
    • Locate the following:
    • Right click on the value named ProgramFilesDir & change the default value C:\Program Files to the path you want to install all your programs in.
    • Click OK and Exit.

Example - first paragraph here:
    Windows 10 setup Windows installed in an unsupported directory FIX : Windows10

Please also post a screenshot of Disk Management (Windows key + X, Disk Management)

To fix your immediate issue with things not working you might try
    - using a system restore point
    - running SFC /scannow from an admin command prompt
    - re-registering apps (see the Tutorial section here).

But, the error message you have means you won't be able to apply a build upgrade either.

dalchina, Apr 12, 2017
  5. jaca Win User
    I imagined something very bad. I'll make your lesson and post results here. Thanks

6. jaca Win User
    I've tried all the steps. It's all right. A month ago I made the image of win10, installed a ssd and installed win10 on this new hd.It worked perfectly, until about 10 days ago, when these described phenomena began.I think of doing a new, clean reinstallation.In my old hd, 1T, I have installed the programs I use, all of them.

7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 13, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Have you ever moved your user's folder?

Do you have sufficient spare space on your drive?

You need about 500Mb unallocated space on your system drive, and enough spare space on C: for another copy of the Windows folder plus maybe 5-8Gb.

dalchina, Apr 13, 2017
  9. jaca Win User
    I did'nt move. My SSD has 120G, about half being used

10. jaca Win User
    There's no solution, I think. Maybe a malware has damaged the system, even though BitDefender Resue did not find anything. I' going to reinstall the whole thing

11. jaca Win User
    After typing DISM /online /get-intl,
    I had this (sorry, not En US)
    Microsoft Windows [versão 10.0.14393](c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. Todos os direitos reservados.C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM/online/get-intlFerramenta de Gerenciamento e Manutenção de Imagens de ImplantaçãoVersão: 10.0.14393.0Erro: 87A opção online/get-intl é desconhecida.Para obter mais informações, consulte a ajuda executando DISM.exe /?.O arquivo de log do DISM pode ser localizado em C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.logC:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /online /get-intlFerramenta de Gerenciamento e Manutenção de Imagens de ImplantaçãoVersão: 10.0.14393.0Versão da Imagem: 10.0.14393.0Informando configurações internacionais online.Idioma de interface do usuário padrão do sistema : pt-BRO fallback de idioma de interface de usuário é : en-USLocalidade do sistema : pt-BRFuso horário padrão : E. South America Standard TimeTeclado(s) ativo(s) : 0416:00010416, 0416:00000416Driver de teclado em camadas : PC/AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102 teclas)Idiomas instalados: pt-BR Tipo: idioma parcialmente traduzido, tipo MUI. Idiomas de Fallback en-USA operação foi concluída com êxito.C:\WINDOWS\system32>

12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, if it's not going to be a huge problem, the quickest solution now will be to reinstall.
    If you added the SSD later, make sure your BIOS is set to use AHCI for best SSD performance before installing.

Translation:
    Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C: \ WINDOWS \ system32> DISM / online / get-intl
    Deployment Image Management and Maintenance Tool Version: 10.0.14393.0
    Error: 87 The online / get-intl option is unknown.
    Help running DISM.exe /. The DISM log file can be located in DISM / online / get-intl C: \ WINDOWS \ Logs \ DISM \ dism.log

C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 ImplementationVersion: 10.0.14393.0
    Version of the Image: 10.0.14393.0

Informing international settings online.
    Language default system interface: pt-BRO fallback of user interface language is: en-US Location of system: en -USB standard time zone: E. South America Standard Time Active Keyword (s): 0416: 00010416, 0416: 00000416 Layered Keyboard Driver: PC / AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102 keys)

Installed Languages: en Type: partially translated language, type MUI. Fallback languages ​​en-US operation completed successfully.
    C: \ WINDOWS \ system32>

dalchina, Apr 14, 2017
  13. jaca Win User

Since the system worked fine and suddenly started causing problems, I think one option is that this was caused by some update.Is there a way to uninstall any of them, or can you only get those that Microsoft "allows"?

14. dalchina New Member
    Please post a screenshot of Disk Management, and advise if your PC is UEFI enabled or not.

You can uninstall updates if you wish. However, I don't think it will have been an update that caused this.

Can't repair my installation [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 14, 2017
  15. jaca Win User
    I can'nt say if I have UEFI: in System Info, says BIOS inherited Prior to remove any update, I'm sending the screenshot

Can't repair my installation [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Can't repair my installation - Similar Threads - Can't repair installation

2. My PC doesn't find windows 10 installation can't boot or repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My PC doesn't find windows 10 installation can't boot or repair: So, I bought a SSD M.2 then installed windows, after moving my files to the new SSD, I did format the old SSD, now I can't boot the windows, like with has nothing there, but I was using normally before formatted the old SSD. What's should I do??...
  3. Repair Install

Repair Install: Hey all, I want to repair install windows 10. So I download the .iso file and mounted it up in a USB Flash Drive. I had chosen a windows 10 20H2 version. So if i repair install Windows 10 through that USB Flash drive, will it delete any personal files in the partitions...
  4. Can't install/uninstall/repair directx

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't install/uninstall/repair directx: So, out of nowhere, my games stopped working, sony vegas freezes, and a lot of other problems wich all say that the reason is Directx. So I've tried to reinstall it, but each time gives me the error "An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and...
  5. Repair Install

Repair Install: If you do a repair install of Windows 10 Pro will it keep your FireFox or do you have to reinstall FireFox? I'm using Windows 10 Pro version 1909 OS Build 18363.900 158395
  6. Install/Repair ?

Install/Repair ?: If I'm going to do a Rep/Inst on a fairly new W-10 Home, with 1909 on it, what iso, and where, can I use. Seems to me I need the same Version??? 151355
  7. Windows can't be repaired

Windows can't be repaired: I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 520. I installed some Windows updates yesterday, though I am not sure the installation was completed. I don't exactly remember, but I might have turned off the laptop before the updates had time to install. When I turned on the laptop next the screen...
  8. Can't boot or install nor repair

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't boot or install nor repair: I tried to dual boot windows 10 pro 64 bit with windows 7 but I put the wrong disk in and ended up installing win 7 32 bit. :'( Now windows 10 won't boot Iv tried running repair but still same error. Bad_info or something with blue screen, but it boots into 7 and I can...
  9. Can't "Install/Repair"

Can't "Install/Repair": Done 100's of these. (Well maybe a couplehundred over the years.) Right now running "Windows 10 Insider Preview Version 1803 (OS Build17112.1)" Thiswas on the HDD of a Mobo crash and is installed on new Mobo and CPU. Noticed I can't do updates, run CMD or powershell and a...
  10. Can't repair PC, can't re-install Win10, stuck with viruses.

Can't repair PC, can't re-install Win10, stuck with viruses.: I bought an iView cyber pc with Windows 8.1 Windows upgrade to 10 virus attack, mysterious bank charges, popups etc. Couldn't use PC. so I used the Windows 10 USB boot disk and select to repair the PC, tried deleting all files, tried leaving files. Neither option works it...