Windows 10: Can't reset laptop after upgrade to Win 10. How to get clean install?

Discus and support Can't reset laptop after upgrade to Win 10. How to get clean install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded my Asus X205TA to Windows 10. However I wanted get a clean install so I went into recovery and chose to reset the PC and clean all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by yazyazoo, Aug 22, 2015.

1. yazyazoo Win User

Can't reset laptop after upgrade to Win 10. How to get clean install?

I upgraded my Asus X205TA to Windows 10. However I wanted get a clean install so I went into recovery and chose to reset the PC and clean all apps,files, etc.

Whenever I try this it fails then gives me a blue screen with options. Only booting back to Win10 only works.

Is there a way I can get my win10 key and install from a win 10 download?

I did go back to Windows Download tool and had it create a USB stick. Can I use this to do a clean install?

I don't want to move on unless I know I can get Win 10 installed on this again. I know once I erase everythign my there is no option to go back to Win 8.1.

Thanks.

:)

yazyazoo, Aug 22, 2015

2. Bluescreen when running “Reset this PC”: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I am in the same boat, after upgrading to Win 10 and resetting my laptop it remains in the restarting mode.

My laptop starts up - I get the windows logo - it says welcome and returns to laptop start up and continues doing this over and over.

Please advice what to do?

I assume a clean Win reinstall with the risk of losing everything ?!

JolandaHanegraaff, Aug 22, 2015
  3. lYapYapl Win User
    Go Back to Win 10

Hi,

My Laptop was in Win 8.1 and last year i decided to upgrade to win 10. My laptop ran Win 10 for months but suddenly i clean it and perform a factory reset. Now it is in Win 8.1. Can I upgrade my unit to Win 10 again? Thanks Microsoft.

lYapYapl, Aug 22, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Wonder why it failed to do a reset as similar to the clean install Reset Windows 10
    As no key is needed to activate Windows 10. Try other methods here.
    Use media creation tool and make a disc or bootable USB Flash drive or download ISO see tutorials here.
    Use Rufus for making bootable thumb drive if have trouble with Media Creation tool and if have burning software can make a disc with a DVD many free ones like Burnaware for disc burning, Rufus Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/upgrade-to-windows-10.8852/

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

jds63, Aug 22, 2015
  5. The key is useless as that is not used for anything. Win10 Upgrades activate using hardware hashes.
    You can do an upgrade from a downloaded Win10 file, using a USB stick. But, if you do a clean install by booting from the USB stick, unless the machine you're installing on has already had Win10 installed through an Upgrade, it will not activate -- and MS is not allowing the entry of product keys to activate Upgrade versions of Win10.

Sorry to tell you this, but it's likely that you already have no option to go back to Win8.1. The option to GoBack from Win10 to the prior OS does not always work.

Mark Phelps, Aug 23, 2015
  6. Charlie Win User
    If you upgraded from 8.1 and your Win 10 was activated then you have a key but like Mark says its a hardware thing don't need it on that machine anymore. You can go back to 8.1 or clean install 10 . If you are activated. You have confirmed that then you can use your install disk to move on. You might be able to use the usb to repair your roll back if that's what you want. You for sure can do a clean install or a upgrade install. Just skip putting in a key when it asks just click on skip and you will be fine.

Charlie, Aug 23, 2015
  7. yazyazoo Win User
    So where would I get Win 10 disc since I go into System and it says I am activated on Win 10? It didn't come with my laptop. Should I use a Win 7 pc i have and use the media creation tool and create a usb to re install on my pc?

This is actually my dad's computer and I think he had malware or virus on his pc and might be preventing me from wiping out the pc. I was playing with his Win 10 install and in chrome was having either browswer hijack and wanting me to download or leave page but I can't leave page.

Do you think a malware can prevent the reset?

yazyazoo, Aug 23, 2015
  8. AddRAM Win User

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't reset laptop after upgrade to Win 10. How to get clean install? - Similar Threads - Can't reset laptop

2. Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install of a free upgrade of win 10: Hi, I'd like to do a clean install of my win10. But it's a free upgrade version. I can't find a step by step guide to do it. Only guides for fresh installs of a regular win10 version. I'm afraid to do something wrong and lose the right to use this licence. Thank you...
  3. Upgrade office 2007 after win 10 clean install

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Upgrade office 2007 after win 10 clean install: When I previously had Win 7 installed on my desktop, I had Office 2007 installed and updated to Office 2010. Well, now I have a problem - because I did a 'clean install' I only had Office 2007 to install again (I have a disk) but I cannot find any link anywhere with Microsoft...
  4. Win 10 upgrade and clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade and clean install: Hello I thought the upgrade and pursuant clean install would be smooth based upon my move from 7 to 8 to 8.1. I have upgraded with my files to Win 10. I like it. However, I downloaded Ccleaner and it showed quite a bit of clutter(2GB) . I never use a registry cleaner as I...
  5. Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?: As topic says, friends laptop had Win 8 and he updated to Win 10. Now I wonder if he can install a clean Win 10 through USB with his Win 8 serialkey. 40889
  6. How to do a clean install of win 10 after a 8.1 upgrade *Retail v.*

How to do a clean install of win 10 after a 8.1 upgrade *Retail v.*: There is a lot of questioning about making a clean install of windows 10 once you upgraded from Windows 8.1 retail version. Well i had this questioning and i didn't found any clear instruction on forums or anywhere else. I spoke with microsofts agents, i had good anwers and i...
  7. How to Do Clean Install After Problematical Win7 - Win 10 Upgrade?

How to Do Clean Install After Problematical Win7 - Win 10 Upgrade?: I think it best to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my computer because of previous problems with a Win XP to 7 upgrade and the problems with this Win 7 to Win10 upgrade. Blinking screen, no sound, "Critical Error" and Start Menu not working, on this Win7 > Win10 upgrade....
  8. Clean installed WIN 7 now cannot get upgrade option for WIN 10

Clean installed WIN 7 now cannot get upgrade option for WIN 10: I recently did a clean install of WIN 7 Pro 64 bit. Prior to this I was getting the opportunity to upgrade to WIN 10 Pro but did not do so on the relevant desktop. I have installed all the hundreds of Windows Updates and rechecked for any more multiple times but I still...
  9. Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install

Win 10 Clean Install after Upgrade Install: I've upgraded from Win 7 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 via the upgrade install. The system indicates the Win 10 install is activated. Presently, this install is to buggy. I intend to wipe the disk clean and perform a clean install via bootable USD flash drive and the downloaded...
  10. Win 10 reset and clean install failure

Win 10 reset and clean install failure: Samsung All-in-One model dp500a2p After getting the 10 upgrade and letting it activate I decided to reset it to rid my PC of the various crap I had downloaded over the last 2 years. It had been running 10 for 2 days at that point with no issues. That reset failed,...