Windows 10: Can't reset PC?

Discus and support Can't reset PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What happened: AVAST updated and asked to reboot. When it rebooted I could hear the opening tones of windows 10 but nothing comes up on the screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbabwe, Nov 3, 2016.

1. jimbabwe Win User

Can't reset PC?

What happened: AVAST updated and asked to reboot. When it rebooted I could hear the opening tones of windows 10 but nothing comes up on the screen.
    Tried Safemode - same result
    Tried system restore and all my restore points failed.
    Tried resetting and keeping my files - failed
    Tried resetting pc completely - failed (!)

I'm not even sure what to do now...

:)

jimbabwe, Nov 3, 2016

2. Windows update Issue

I disabled my anti virus and some how the update was installed. I am not sure if this is antivirus related issue.

Anyway thank you all for your suggestion and help.

Reset Resolution, Nov 3, 2016
  3. Windows update Issue

My windows 10 system tries to update the following update

"Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429)"

But when i restart my windows, it gets hang with message like "windows is preparing... do not shutdown your system". I waited long time for it to complete but it remained hanged and I had to force shutdown my system. I already faced this issue 2 times. Why
    the system is getting hang during the update.

My update status keep giving me message as Updates are available for "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429)" but fails to get install. why?

Help please.

Reset Resolution, Nov 3, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Can't reset PC?

How can you access all the above when you say nothing comes up on the screen?
    Try turning on the computer then hold down the power button.....do this a few times then perhaps Windows will perform a repair.

dencal, Nov 3, 2016
  5. jimbabwe Win User
    When the computer boots up I see the windows boot screen (blue windows logo with the spinning dots). During this time I can get into the f8 window with safemode, system repair, restore etc. but none of those features actually work. Once windows actually boots up the screen flashes like it's receiving no information. I hear the opening tone of Windows but nothing comes up on the screen.

jimbabwe, Nov 3, 2016
  6. dencal Win User
    Have you tried my power button suggestion?

dencal, Nov 3, 2016
  7. jimbabwe Win User
    It's running right now - says it might take over an hour....

jimbabwe, Nov 3, 2016
  8. jimbabwe Win User

Can't reset PC?

Odd - after running repair it the screen light isn't flashing anymore, but still nothing on the screen.

jimbabwe, Nov 3, 2016
  9. dencal Win User
    Check monitor connections, if ok then try again to get running repair.

dencal, Nov 3, 2016
  10. jimbabwe Win User
    The monitor is plugged in - the bios screen still comes up like I said - I just lose the monitor after windows loads. I did unplug and replug it though.

jimbabwe, Nov 3, 2016
  11. Saltgrass Win User
    Does Avast have any bootable media you can use? Can you disable it from Safe Mode?

Do you see anything on the screen, like a cursor whether mouse or one blinking?

Saltgrass, Nov 3, 2016
  12. jimbabwe Win User
    Can't get into safemode - best I can do is command prompt. Nothing on the screen. Light is flashing on the monitor like there's no input when I try to load windows of any kind but I can get to command prompt from the advanced options troubleshooting screen - it's the only thing that works

jimbabwe, Nov 3, 2016
  13. Saltgrass Win User

Can't reset PC?

It sounds like when the resolution changes it looses it output. Do you have another monitor output you could try?

Have you tried booting your Recovery Drive or the Install Media? You should be able to get into the repair options with either one of those.

Saltgrass, Nov 3, 2016
  14. SonicBlue Win User
    I had a corrupt recovery once on one of my pc's and even tho it is a nice feature to have and yes he can access it from outside Windows like he said. Simplist thing is just download the 10 iso and repair install. Most likely all is ok and nothing will be lost. IMO this is better than a reset and keep your files.

SonicBlue, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't reset PC?

1. Can't reset PC? - Similar Threads - Can't reset

2. I can't find microsoft store after resetting my pc

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I can't find microsoft store after resetting my pc: I need help concerning microsoft store on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-microsoft-store-after-resetting-my-pc/e7d10314-7bf7-48fc-bdbc-81fea96c42cd
  3. I can't find microsoft store after resetting my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't find microsoft store after resetting my pc: I need help concerning microsoft store on my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-microsoft-store-after-resetting-my-pc/e7d10314-7bf7-48fc-bdbc-81fea96c42cd
  4. I can't find microsoft store after resetting my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My computer can't find my user profile after reset.

My computer can't find my user profile after reset.: I try to log in and it tells me I have to reset my pin. I click on that and a blue screen pops up saying Windows can't find my user profile. Can't use the back-up or emergency disc....
  6. My computer can't find my user profile after reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer can't find my user profile after reset.: I try to log in and it tells me I have to reset my pin. I click on that and a blue screen pops up saying Windows can't find my user profile. Can't use the back-up or emergency disc....
  7. My computer can't find my user profile after reset.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. BSOD is showing up whenever I start my pc and I can't reset it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD is showing up whenever I start my pc and I can't reset it: Yesterday I started my pc normally and i kept it on for 3-4 minutes without doing any work on it.Suddenly a BSOD appeared and my pc shutdowned on its own, it restarted and the same BSOD showed and it shutdowned again.After 2-3 times it tried to fix itself but that didn't work...
  9. BSOD is showing up whenever I start my pc and I can't reset it

BSOD is showing up whenever I start my pc and I can't reset it: Yesterday I started my pc normally and i kept it on for 3-4 minutes without doing any work on it.Suddenly a BSOD appeared and my pc shutdowned on its own, it restarted and the same BSOD showed and it shutdowned again.After 2-3 times it tried to fix itself but that didn't work...
  10. BSOD is showing up whenever I start my pc and I can't reset it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade