Windows 10: Can't reset Windows 10 - no start menu, internet

Discus and support Can't reset Windows 10 - no start menu, internet in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was having issues with "sleep" and other driver issues so I thought I would try to use a restore point. I tried restoring to a point about a month... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LeoBloom, Oct 2, 2015.

1. LeoBloom Win User

Can't reset Windows 10 - no start menu, internet

I was having issues with "sleep" and other driver issues so I thought I would try to use a restore point. I tried restoring to a point about a month ago but sometime during this process Windows crashed (frowny face and all) and I was stuck in a loop of crashing.

Ultimately, all I could do was reset the PC so I chose the keep files option and the PC reset to its close to original state. My WiFi was connected - I had NO access to the internet, but my macbook could connect to my Windows 10 desktop and transfer files. Internet Explorer and Edge could not access Google, Bing, or any other website - they could only access 192.168.1.1 where I could manipulate router settings.

After a restart (hoping it would fix connectivity issues) I now CANNOT turn on the start menu and CANNOT launch edge - the internet problems still persist.

I am at a loss. I have no idea what to do now. I can't even fully reset my PC because I can't access the menu that allows for this....

Please help.

:)

LeoBloom, Oct 2, 2015

2. Wi-Fi is on // No connection (after Windows Update)

On Oct 13 windows updated.

The update must've invited malware into my computer. I tried to run my antivirus after the update but it said there's no connection. Google chrome lost connection as well and then I got a pop-up saying that Windows Defender found and blocked a "Severe Trojan
    threat". So I deleted it and I still don't have connection... (weirdly) the only thing that works is the Explorer app. I have internet; the Wi-Fi works just fine but, everything else doesn't connect. It's something internal that must be causing
    the problem and it all started after the update.

P.S.

It also changed my network from private to public so I had to fix that.

And YES, I did allow these programs through the Firewall so that's not the problem.

No Internet, Oct 2, 2015
  3. bao007fei Win User
    Windows 10 pro Creator update Start Menu bug

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1703

OS Build: 15063.332

After I synchronized time with an Internet server from the Internet time settings, I opened the start menu and pined a recently added shortcut to the Start. The tile showed in the start menu. But after that, I tried to move the tile, the whole menu freezed
    for a few second and disappeared in a flash. I opened the start menu again, nothing changed. The short cut didn't show in the start menu.

I've tried to reset the and reinstall Windows 10 Pro version 1703 many times, the bug was still there. In the early version of windows 10, I didn't notice the problem. Maybe it's a new bug.

bao007fei, Oct 2, 2015
  4. Amythyr Win User

First of all, run cmd as administrator(Windows key+ R will open run dialog)
    type sfc/scannow
    let it repair the errors, that are found

If that is not working
    In my opinion,next option will be to create windows 10 bootable media using media creation tool, and reinstall your windows.

Amythyr, Oct 2, 2015
  5. LeoBloom Win User
    Didn't work.

Currently backing files up with Driveimage XML

Thank you

LeoBloom, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't reset Windows 10 - no start menu, internet - Similar Threads - Can't reset start

2. Can't partial search windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't partial search windows 10 start menu: Hi, I'm searching for an app on my computer. I type in 'shade' and it finds no apps. I know for a fact I have gshade installed, in fact I gave up on search and scrolled down my start menu and found gshade waving at me. I don't like what has happened to my search functions.....
  3. Can't open start menu in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open start menu in windows 10: After upgrading to windows 10, I can't open start menu everything else is working superfine, but the start menu doesn't work even if pressing the Windows button on keyboard or start button on the Windows taskbar...
  4. Reset Start menu to default

Reset Start menu to default: I have just set up a new laptop and for some reason the start menu has corrupted. The programs no longer line up in a column but are in the centre of the screen in several columns. I read up about changing the TileDataLayer but cannot find this now in Widows 10 even in hidden...
  5. Windows 10 Pro Start Menu Resets on Restart

Windows 10 Pro Start Menu Resets on Restart: This is a new laptop I just got yesterday. Every time I restart the machine the Start Menu Resets to factory setting. (When I try to change the layout and apps, upon restart it's not the way I left it before the restart). I tried to "re-register" the start menu with...
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu Reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu Reset: Hello, I've just installed the win 10 fall updates (version 1809). Now, whenever I reboot, windows restores the default start menu apps and icons, eliminating my customizations. Why is this happening? What can I do to stop it? How can I backup my start menu after I finish...
  7. Start Menu resets on sign in

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu resets on sign in: Since I upgraded to Windows 10 version 1809 (October 2018 update), my Start menu resets every time I sign in. All the installed apps show "New", the tiles get reset, and all Start Settings get reset too. Also, after some time, when I navigate to the Start Settings, all...
  8. Windows 10 Start Menu Reset

Windows 10 Start Menu Reset: Hello, I've just installed the win 10 fall updates (version 1809). Now, whenever I reboot, windows restores the default start menu apps and icons, eliminating my customizations. A) Why is this happening? B) What can I do to stop it? C) How can I backup my start menu after...
  9. Can't scroll in start menu windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't scroll in start menu windows 10: Hey all. I updated my windows to 10 and all is good besides the scrolling. I cannot scroll in the start menu or some other menus in windows. (File explorer works and of curse that in chrome everything works.) It's just the start menu and basically all the menus in...
  10. Resetting Win 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Resetting Win 10 Start Menu: Is it possible to reset the win 10 start menu to the day I installed win 10? I'm having all kind of little issues with it now that I didn't before and I'd like to reset. I know there was a method to do this in the preview builds but that doesn't seem to work anymore. 24319