Windows 10: can't reset windows 10

Discus and support can't reset windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to complete reset windows 10 on my laptop and a message appears saying i need to create more space on the hard drive. The hard drive has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Allerious, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Allerious Win User

can't reset windows 10

I'm trying to complete reset windows 10 on my laptop and a message appears saying i need to create more space on the hard drive.

The hard drive has 27.8 GB total and 4.5 GB is currently free. I need to free about another 2 GB but can't find anything more to remove. The largest program available to remove is 119mb and it goes down from there.

I need something larger that i can remove to get this extra space. I've tried disk clean up and defrag. I think possibly the laptop is storing previous versions somewhere from when i'm previously reset windows 10. I thought they were stored in windows.old folder but i can't see this in the drive. Apparently it would be stored under the windows folder.

Any ideas what i can do to free up this space?

:)

Allerious, Sep 16, 2017

2. Is there a way reset Windows 10 with another program?

So, is there way to reset Windows 10 with program, because whe i try reset my Windows 10 through the settings, it fails every time, so i can't reset my Windows 10. And sorry for bad English.

Superplayer175, Sep 16, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Sep 16, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

can't reset windows 10

Hi Allerius and welcome to Ten forums

YOu could temporary remouve restore points (if there are any) and hibernation files.

For deleting hiberfile.sys (could be up to amount of your RAM) open administrator command prompt and type
    For deleting restore points (leave the last one) follow these Microsoft instructions

There is more to be done, but this should suffice for few GB

Edit: assuming you have already run disk cleanup?

AndreTen, Sep 16, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Drives that size must be ancient.. consider replacing it with a larger one as this is a laptop. Not a huge amount of money... vs the time you will spend on each major upgrade trying to get it to work. Another is due in October...

dalchina, Sep 16, 2017
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Could be one of those convertibles with 32 GB soldered on MB... Lets help him to free few GBs *Smile

AndreTen, Sep 16, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
Thema:

can't reset windows 10

1. can't reset windows 10 - Similar Threads - can't reset

2. Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer: I ordered windows 10 in August of 2021 and installed it on my computer from the email link they sent me. I recently had my computer mess up so bad out of the blue, that I had to reset it completely. I now need to reinstall the windows 10 but when I try to used the file from...
  3. Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer: I ordered windows 10 in August of 2021 and installed it on my computer from the email link they sent me. I recently had my computer mess up so bad out of the blue, that I had to reset it completely. I now need to reinstall the windows 10 but when I try to used the file from...
  4. Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't reset PIN because iit's not in the list?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't reset PIN because iit's not in the list?: For my personal account, I do not remember my Hello pin and do not recall setting it up. I have tried multiple times to reset it. There is no Hello Pin in the list of all the ways I have set up to access my account. But I keep being asked for the Pin. If it isn't in the list,...
  6. Can't reset PIN because iit's not in the list?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reset PIN because iit's not in the list?: For my personal account, I do not remember my Hello pin and do not recall setting it up. I have tried multiple times to reset it. There is no Hello Pin in the list of all the ways I have set up to access my account. But I keep being asked for the Pin. If it isn't in the list,...
  7. Can't reset PIN because iit's not in the list?

8. Reset PC failed, can't sign in to profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset PC failed, can't sign in to profile: Reset PC failed, can't sign in to profile.Hello, I just recently tried to reset my PC using the windows default option, but while trying to reset, it stopped and my PC restarted and brought me to the sign in page for my user profile which I input my PIN in then it shows "The...
  9. Reset PC failed, can't sign in to profile

Reset PC failed, can't sign in to profile: Reset PC failed, can't sign in to profile.Hello, I just recently tried to reset my PC using the windows default option, but while trying to reset, it stopped and my PC restarted and brought me to the sign in page for my user profile which I input my PIN in then it shows "The...
  10. Reset PC failed, can't sign in to profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade