Windows 10: Can't restore because change of hardware

Discus and support Can't restore because change of hardware in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Dear community I have came to a dead end so that is why I'm approaching you. My Windows 10 begun to behave strange, no store apps are installed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by nanakji, Mar 20, 2018.

1. nanakji Win User

Can't restore because change of hardware

Dear community
    I have came to a dead end so that is why I'm approaching you. My Windows 10 begun to behave strange, no store apps are installed, Cortana is messing up with my search box (I need to close the process so I can use the search and windows menu functions at the left down corner).

So I decided I needed to restore the system, making a full backup of all my files so I'm ready to go. But at the end, I get the error code that the system failed in making the restore.

I investigated and now I know I needed to link my FREE LICENCE with my digital Out Look account. I thought they were linked because I login with my Out Look credentials every time I start the PC. As I made a major hardware update this seems to be a real problem which I don't know how to fix.

I only have the original HD and GPU and now my rig is the following:
    I5 8400, 2.4GHZ
    MOBO Asus Prime Z370-P
    16GB RAM DDR4
    GPU Nvidia GTX960 (the same old one)
    and my 1TB old HD where Windows 10 is installed.

If I go to "Update and Security---Recovery" I don't see any "add account" or anything like that. There only reads "
    "Windows is activated using your organization's activation service"

So I feel I'm stucked at a loop hole. I'm downloading the ISO file wondering if there is any Power Shell command I can use to fully restore the system or refresh it to zero (factory reset). My system is fully activated with the original licence Microsoft provided to all the ones who jumped from Win 7 to Win 10 freely.

How can I make a full restore and keeping my license? Shall I purchase a new Win 10 licence and activate my system with that? Im providing some screenshots, eventhough my system is in spanish it makes obvious what I'm lacking.

As you may see in image 1 I don't have other but the "organization" activation message. In image 2 you can see my Win 10 is activated (with the original key provided at the time of the upgrade from Seven to Ten). In image 3 you can see my update is stuck at that version, it loops that update every single time. At image 4 you can see I'm logged in as admin with my Outlook account. So I really don't know what else to do!

I also found an option (Image 5) which reads something like "Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart is turned on" which was On. don't know if has something to do with it.

Anyways. I hope I can find a solution so I can fully restore system to zero because it has became so sloppy even with that nice new I5 and RAM....*Sleepy

Greetings and have an excelente week you all!

Can't restore because change of hardware [​IMG]

:)

nanakji, Mar 20, 2018

2. Can't activate Windows 10 because of a change in hardware

Hi,

I just did a major hardware upgrade to my PC, which resulted in some major problems regarding installing Windows 7 and 10 while having a RAID 0 array active. I successfully upgraded from 7 to 10, but due to user error (forgetting to change SATA mode on the
    new motherboard to RAID before installing Windows), I had to format the drive with my copy of Windows 7.

Well, I somehow managed to install Windows 10 now, RAID 0 works and all, BUT
    I can't activate Windows 10...

I have a genuine key for Windows 7 Professional, but due to me upgrading my motherboard (ASUS Z170-A), it is impossible for me to install Windows 7, and therefore also impossible to upgrade to an activated Windows 10. I can't use the Windows
    7 key to activate Win 10.

Can I somehow get my key converted or something? I cannot find a way to contact Microsoft directly (so I can show my key as proof etc.), but I know that the community is a clever bunch. I would also be happy to contact MS directly.

What do you suggest? I can't install Windows 7 and upgrade from there. Tried every possible way (different UEFI settings, USB drives, DVDs, SATA optical drives, USB optical drives, you name it). Is there a way to use my Win 7 key or do I have to purchase a
    brand new one for Win 10?

MartinJepsen1997, Mar 20, 2018
  3. Can't activate Windows 10 because of a change in hardware

If you already had the Upgrade activated and changed the motherboard, then as long as the qualifying Windows 7 license is not OEM - which lives and dies with the first motherboard installed upon - you can follow

How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC’s Hardware

Otherwise you can wait a few more days for
    Windows 10 Fall Update Set for November Release
    to be pushed through Windows Update, which allows activating the free Upgrade directly with the Windows 7 key.

If at any time activation fails:

Right click Start button to open Admin Command Prompt

Type slui 4, press Enter.

Follow prompts to refresh your activation ID in MS Servers.

If it fails stay on the line for an agent, explain the situation.

Report back results for other steps if necessary. There is always the last resort of contacting Customer Service who are tasked to verify Product Key and once confirmed open a Support case to get it activated by whatever means necessary.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 20, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

If its saying it need to be activated via local server then it likley it a prirated copy thats been activated via a kms server did you buy a genuine copy of 10 and original windows?

Samuria, Mar 20, 2018
  5. nanakji Win User
    In its moment yes, it was a Seven not legit copy, but then it came the purification upgrade by Windows 10 giving free keys, so my windows 10 was a legit upgrade and since then no activation has to be made at all, only regular updates so far.

nanakji, Mar 21, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    As the messages are not in english cant be sure but my guess is the win7 had a kms server activate it illegally and when you upgrade that carried over so its still looking for that server

Samuria, Mar 21, 2018
  7. nanakji Win User
    Yes probably, but my pain is that windows update is not working properly so downloading an image from that PC is not posible. So Im downloading from a slower laptop to see if it works. I tried to mount an original ISO to a DVD but it made the typical "you need some drivers that are not installed bla bla" which is related sometimes to the type of burning so on...I will try that with other laptop and usb to see if it works properly. My BIOS is set in this order: HD, DVD, UEFI USB, General USB. I hope it works!

nanakji, Mar 21, 2018
  8. cereberus Win User

This is wrong. Upgrading a non genuine version did not make new version genuine - you still had to enter a valid key.

Volume licence keys were not entitled to free upgrade. However, illlegally activated versions somehow fooled the installer into thinking pc was entitled to an upgrade.

Problem is the illegal software that activated your windows 7 survives the initial upgrade but does not survive subsequent build upgrades. You need to buy a new licence.

It is against forum rules to discuss illegal techniques to reactivate it, so do not ask.

cereberus, Mar 21, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    Microsoft has free chat and telephone for upgrade problems. They can scan the computer to determine whether activation is indicated and fix legitimate copies of Windows.

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't restore because change of hardware - Similar Threads - Can't restore change

2. Windows not activating because of changed hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not activating because of changed hardware: I recently picked up my newly built PC and have had a few issues. Firstly the PC only shows Ethernet connection options not WiFi Asus b650-plus motherboard. Secondly It says it cannot Activate windows because of a hardware change. I’ve tired reinstalling numerous versions of...
  3. Windows not activating because of changed hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not activating because of changed hardware: I recently picked up my newly built PC and have had a few issues. Firstly the PC only shows Ethernet connection options not WiFi Asus b650-plus motherboard. Secondly It says it cannot Activate windows because of a hardware change. I’ve tired reinstalling numerous versions of...
  4. Hardware change, can't activate Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware change, can't activate Windows: Hardware change, can't activate Windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hardware-change-cant-activate-windows/7392d83f-8d32-4cfe-bb6e-54a0642cb88e
  5. Can't Activate After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't Activate After Hardware Change: I've ran all the troubleshooters, gone through all the support articles. Everything fails for one reason or another. It use to be that you could call Microsoft and get a person to help you activate your OS. But now it seems like this place is the only option for getting help...
  6. change of hardware can't activate windows

change of hardware can't activate windows: Hey I recently upgraded my computer so now I can't activate my windows, please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-of-hardware-cant-activate-windows/d6b68ebc-3432-4d48-b100-d0367bddc93f
  7. Can't reactivate after a hardware change

Can't reactivate after a hardware change: I have just replaced most of the components in my PC, apart from the hard disks. Before I upgraded the hardware, I linked my Window 10 pro retail license to my Microsoft account. When I log into my Microsoft account in a browser, I can see my old PC in the Devices section....
  8. Can't reactivate after hardware change

Can't reactivate after hardware change: A month ago I replaced my motherboard, along with my processor and RAM. I had internet installed yesterday, which prompted Windows to give me the "Activate Windows" watermark. The problem is, before I upgraded, I hadn't linked my device to my Microsoft account, and had no...
  9. Can't activate after hardware change.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't activate after hardware change.: So, a few days ago my Mainboard broke. I bought a new one and had to buy a new cpu and ram. Now the problem is windows 10 isn't activated anymore and if I try to activate it with my product key, it says that my key is invalid and that I should run the troubleshooter. The...
  10. Can't Change Hardware Virtualization

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Change Hardware Virtualization: I just purchased an HP laptop running Windows 10, which I updated to Ver. 1909. The processor is an Inter Core i5-8250u, which supports Hardware Virtualization. In following the procedure to change (enable) Hardware Virtualization, when I select UEFI firmware settings, and...