Windows 10: Can't Restore from System Image

Discus and support Can't Restore from System Image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I created a system image on a Seagate external hard drive using Windows 10 Home, and I created a restore disc for booting with an external BUFFALO DVD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by wjogrady Guest, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Can't Restore from System Image

I created a system image on a Seagate external hard drive using Windows 10 Home, and I created a restore disc for booting with an external BUFFALO DVD drive connected to a USB port. I went into the UEFI and set my BUFFALO drive as the first drive to be used for booting at power up or reset. When I restarted the computer, a message appeared saying "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". I pressed a key. After a few minutes, the following screen appeared:

Can't Restore from System Image [​IMG]

I used the down-arrow key to select US and hit enter. Then the following screen appeared:

I used the down-arrow key to select "Choose Device" and hit enter. Then the following screen appeared:

This screen gave me only two options: (1) Boot with the BUFFALO optical drive, and (2) Boot with the Solid State Drive which the HP Spectre x360 has (instead of a real hard drive). When I used the down arrow to select the BUFFALO optical drive, the screen that asks for the desired keyboard layout reappeared. When I selected US and hit enter, the screen that asks for a booting option reappeared. When I selected "Choose Device" and hit enter, the screen that gave me the option to boot with either my BUFFALO optical drive or the Solid State Drive reappeared. I found I could keep going around in circles like this, without ever having an opportunity to restore the computer with a system image I had created earlier. Has anybody seen this happen? Has anybody been able to get out of this loop and proceed to restore from a system image that had been created earlier? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

:)

wjogrady Guest, Aug 20, 2015
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Unable to restore MBR system from system image stored on GPT partition

Hi,

To better assistance with your query on how to restore MBR system from system image stored on GPT partition, you may post it in our Microsoft TechNet
    forum. IT professionals from this forum can definitely assist you.

Please post back if you have any Windows concerns for further assistance.

Riel Alc, Aug 20, 2015
  3. redhonker Win User
    Unable to restore MBR system from system image stored on GPT partition

I have a SSD with Windows 10 installed. It uses MBR

I have a large HD on GPT.

I use Windows built-in backup to create a system image of SSD and store it on the HD.

Now I got a brand new SSD and want to restore. So boot into a flash drive. Windows tries to start restoring but failed, asking me to reboot so the SSD can be prepared. Second time, it failed again without a reason (neer started restoring). I tried to
    create partition, but it does not help.

I then try to do a fresh install. Failed with 0x80300024 error code. Searched, it seems that I have unplug the 2nd HD. But that's where the image is.

So I'd have to do an installation with just the SSD plugged in. Once that's done, I can go to boot from flash drive again and restore. This is quite wasteful

Any better way to do this?

Thanks

Moved From: Windows /

Windows 10
    /
    Install, upgrade, & activate
    /
    PC

redhonker, Aug 20, 2015
  4. seking Win User

Can't Restore from System Image

Same thing has happened to me also. I have not found any solutions yet

seking, Aug 20, 2015
  5. Thanks seeking for your reply. Were you using an HP computer or something else? I am guessing this is Windows 10 problem, not an HP problem. Do you agree?

6. topgundcp Win User
    The Recovery DVD is only used to boot into the Windows Recovery Environment which it did.
    With the external HD connected.
    You need to select Troubleshoot->Advanced->System Image Recovery
    If the program does not find the backup then browse to the external HD

topgundcp, Aug 20, 2015
  7. Boozad Win User
    Be aware that the system image may only restore if the drive configuration is exactly the same as when the image was taken, so the USB optical drive may cause issues there.

Boozad, Aug 20, 2015
  8. Can't Restore from System Image

Thanks topgundcp. I can browse my external hard drive and see that the system image is there. I can't find the exact path you suggested, but I can go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Recovery, and I see a list of "advanced recovery tools". None of the tools relate to system images.

9. Thanks Boozad. The drive configuration (booting order) was exactly the same as it was the last time I created a system image.

10. topgundcp Win User
    When you boot from DVD. From the second screen shot of your post, you would select "Troubleshoot" instead of "Use A device"

topgundcp, Aug 20, 2015
  11. seking Win User
    Mine is Notion Ink Tablet 10.1 inch display with windows home single language edition. I tried many things but not able to know what is the exact cause. I had backed up my system image to WD Elements 2 TB. My tablet is able to read the external disk and access it and even we can select it in the bios. I suspect one may to choose the correct keyboard.

seking, Aug 20, 2015
  12. Thanks topgundcp. Excellent suggestion!*Smile I selected "Troubleshoot" from the second screenshot of my original post, and I saw the following screen:

I used the down-arrow key to select "Advanced options", and I hit enter. Then I saw the following screen:

I used the down-arrow key to select "System Image Recovery", and I hit enter. Then I saw the following screen:

I used the down-arrow key to select the only option which was "Windows 10", and I hit enter. Then I saw the following screen:

This screen showed the location, date and time of my most-recent system image, and it gave me opportunity to restore my computer with that image. At this time I canceled the procedure because my computer is brand new, and a I did not need to restore it with the system image. I just wanted to know that restoring it with an image would be possible. I think it is safe to assume that restoring with an image would work.

As you suggested in your first reply, it is logical that I kept going around in circles when I selected "Use a device" in the "Choose an option" screen. I don't think I would have had any difficulty if the "Troubleshoot" option in the "Choose an option" screen were called something else like "Recovery options."

Again, thanks for your help. Much appreciated.*Smile

13. Can't Restore from System Image

Thanks seking. After following advice from topgundcp, I am convinced that our problem was not the fault of my HP computer or your Notion Ink tablet. The problem was that the second screenshot in my original post gave me the option to select "Troubleshoot" before I knew I had trouble. Instead, of selecting "Troubleshoot" I selected "Chose a device". This was a mistake, and I kept going around in circles. I hope topgundcp's solution works for you.

14. lightng Win User
    Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I am actually trying to restore a Windows Image Backup and I did get to that final screen but once you click next, you are prompted to create a system repair disc.

The problem is that the spectre x360 doesn't have a disc slot so it keeps saying that "Windows did not find a CD/DVD burner", to connect one and then try again.

Any solutions for this?

The screen looks like this

lightng, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't Restore from System Image

1. Can't Restore from System Image - Similar Threads - Can't Restore System

2. Can't restore system image.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't restore system image.: Hello!I'm trying to restore a system image, using a windows 10 USB, I use diskpart or windows 10 installer formatting tools.But I get 1 of 2 error messages:"To restore this computer, Windows needs to format the drive that the Windows Recovery Environment is currently running...
  3. Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restoring System Image When System Image Restore Fails?: Hi guys, Bear with me on this little odyssey. It's a bit of a ramble, and more just me moaning than asking an actual question, but if anyone can help me figure out where I was going wrong I can sleep a bit easier. I was working on a project to deploy a custom Windows image...
  4. Restoring from system image backup

Restoring from system image backup: submitted by /u/SgtJackVisback [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lk0h04/restoring_from_system_image_backup/
  5. System Restore from Image

System Restore from Image: After a recent MS update, my system crashed completely, so I did a clean install and am trying to restore from an image. Windows finds the image and goes through a -very- long process after which it says the restore was successful, but when it reboots, it is back to the...
  6. Restore from system image, no system repair disc

Restore from system image, no system repair disc: I have an HP laptop running windows 10. The screen was badly broken so I sent it to HP to be repaired. They recommended that I backup my files beforehand because they may need to completely reset the computer. So I created a system image on an external SSD of mine. I now...
  7. Restoring from system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring from system image: Hi there, My hard disk(1Tb capacity) recently died and nothing was recoverable. It was replaced by a SSD (500 Gb) capacity. There was about 800Gb available on the old drive so space wasn't a problem. The old drive had a C: and D: partition. I supplied the technicians with...
  8. Restoring from system image

in Windows 10 Support
    Restoring from system image: Hi there, My hard disk(1Tb capacity) recently died and nothing was recoverable. It was replaced by a SSD (500 Gb) capacity. There was about 800Gb available on the old drive so space wasn't a problem. The old drive had a C: and D: partition. I supplied the technicians with...
  9. System Image not Restoring.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image not Restoring.: Hi guys, so i reset my Toshiba laptop to its original factory settings and it came with windows 10 home. Then i had to clean install the windows on my laptop again because i was having some trouble with the touchpad drivers, so i wiped C. drive fully and installed window 10...
  10. Can't Restore from any of my System Images

Can't Restore from any of my System Images: I have seen many similar problems on the forum but none are exactly the same so I hope I am best posting afresh. I have just done a fresh install of Win 10 Pro 64bit and I made three system images and a restore disk as I progressed though my installation. I now find I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant restore from windows system image