Windows 10: Can't restore windows thinks virtual machine is the only OS

Discus and support Can't restore windows thinks virtual machine is the only OS in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I'm in a real bind here, my main OS is Windoze 10 x64 & it won't boot after a MS update last night and I'm stuck with no PC and a ton of files I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Orerockon, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Orerockon Win User

Can't restore windows thinks virtual machine is the only OS

I'm in a real bind here, my main OS is Windoze 10 x64 & it won't boot after a MS update last night and I'm stuck with no PC and a ton of files I need to at least use the laptop while I try to get it back. I have Win 7 running in the the Oracle virtual machine to sue incompatible software. After the usual attempts to fix it I am trying to boot from the Win 10 disk using system restore, as it created an automatic restore point before the update (at least I assume it did). Selecting system restore from the boot disk all I see are restore points created in Win 7, not Win 10. Trying the other troubleshooting options it comes up with Win 7 as well. Is there any way to make it recognize Win 10 and do a system restore from there? This is an emergency for me, my income depends on those at least getting to those files. I can check email from work today.

:)

Orerockon, Apr 27, 2016
  2. neilpzz Win User

Accessing files on the old Windows 7 XP Mode VM

If the XP Mode VM was Virtual PC then you can't access it as it is not compatible with Windows 10. The only way I can think of is to restore Windows 7 extract the files from Virtual PC and save them to an external drive then upgrade again.

neilpzz, Apr 27, 2016
  3. OS for virtual machine

Hi Joe,

Your Virtual Machine concern is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums. It is best suited for the IT Pro audience on TechNet. Please post your question in our
    Microsoft TechNet forums.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Robelene Win, Apr 27, 2016
  4. Orerockon Win User

Does anyone have a way to get to the Win 10 system restore? Maybe from the command prompt?Startup repair only shows the Win 7 VM, not Win 10.

Orerockon, Apr 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't restore windows thinks virtual machine is the only OS - Similar Threads - Can't restore thinks

2. Can't disable Virtual Machine Platform

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't disable Virtual Machine Platform: Hi,in the window "Windows features" "Turn Windows features on or off" I can't uncheck the Virtual Machine Platform.If I do so it loads and then tells me to restart the PC. I click on restart and it restarts two times telling me "we couldn't complete the features undoing...
  3. Can't disable Virtual Machine Platform

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't disable Virtual Machine Platform: Hi,in the window "Windows features" "Turn Windows features on or off" I can't uncheck the Virtual Machine Platform.If I do so it loads and then tells me to restart the PC. I click on restart and it restarts two times telling me "we couldn't complete the features undoing...
  4. virtual windows machine.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    virtual windows machine.: Hi all, I have a device that needs to be updated using a PC, but I only have a Chromebook. Would it be possible to use the windows virtual machine and update it while it's connected to my Chromebook?...
  5. Can't enable"Virtual Machine Platform"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't enable"Virtual Machine Platform": I'm running Windows 10 on ASUS FX705DY AU072T. Windows doesn't boot after enabling "Virtual Machine Platform" and just shows a black screen after showing the windows 10 logo during boot. I've tried it on updated version 1909 and also after updating to version 19041.264 I...
  6. Can't install Hyper-V and Windows thinks I'm inside a virtual machine?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install Hyper-V and Windows thinks I'm inside a virtual machine?: Running systeminfo in an elevated Command Prompt I get this: Hyper-V Requirements: A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed. This supposedly means I am currently running inside a virtual machine, but I'm not, and Hyper-V also...
  7. Virtual Machine with same harddisk and OS

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Machine with same harddisk and OS: I need to run a macro that has to be played for 350 times and each macro takes around 4 mins to complete. The macros are fully independent that requires no supervision. So I am planning to make a virtual machine so that I can split the time in half. The macro requires Chrome,...
  8. Is it possible to run a separate Windows OS as a Virtual Machine?

Is it possible to run a separate Windows OS as a Virtual Machine?: Sup pals! I've been googling a bit, but haven't pin pointed to a solution. I'm trying to achieve something a la parallels, in which I'd have a separate Windows installation and I can either boot directly to it, or run it as a virtual machine. I've seen that you can...
  9. How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine?

How to get into System Restore in a Virtual Machine?: I installed virtual box with win 10 to test custom themes. But if I get a black screen in the vm, how to get into system restore at boot without booting into the desktop? 103057
  10. Only Virtual machine installs 10 for me...???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Only Virtual machine installs 10 for me...???: Regardless of the installation route I try and regardless of the build number... whether it be USB/DVD installer or via the upgrade route that installs via a windows update.... the installation process simply hangs at the black windows 10 logo screen with the 4 blue squares...