Windows 10: Can't right click taskbar icons

Discus and support Can't right click taskbar icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can't right click taskbar apps, left click works as it should but not the right click. Also left clicking start button won't open start menu, right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bougatsas, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Bougatsas Win User

Can't right click taskbar icons

I can't right click taskbar apps, left click works as it should but not the right click. Also left clicking start button won't open start menu, right click works on this one as it works on other system icons (volume, network, clock and notification) but not the left click. Another weird thing is that always when i boot up, onedrive instantly crashes, i dont know if this is relevant. I tried rebuilding search index and "sfc /scannow" as i tried this powershell command with no luck. Code: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}[/quote] Also this happened after a power shortage. Thank you for any responses.

:)

Bougatsas, Feb 2, 2016
  2. DEKE12 Win User

can't right-click icons in taskbar

I've tried everything you suggested, and none have corrected or altered the problem.

Want to mention again that ALL attempts to restore have failed with the same error (see my first reply)

DEKE12, Feb 2, 2016
  3. DEKE12 Win User
    can't right-click icons in taskbar

Start Menu

Publisher details

Issues found

Required applications are not installed correctly.

"Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly.

Not fixed

Install the applications

Completed

Potential issues that were checked

Permission issues with registry keys

The current user needs to have permissions to access the following registry key: HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global

Issue not present

Tile database is corrupt.

Issue not present

Application manifest is corrupt.

Issue not present

Issues found

Detection details

Not fixed

"Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly.

Install the applications

Completed

Installing the applications might fix the Start menu problems.

Potential issues that were checked

Detection details

Issue not present

The current user needs to have permissions to access the following registry key: HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeviceAccess\Global

Issue not present

Issue not present

Detection details

Collection information

Computer Name:
    3340S

Windows Version:

Architecture:

x64

Time:

Monday, November 27, 2017 4:03:02 PM

Publisher details

Start Menu

Find and fix problems with the Start menu.

Package Version:

Publisher:

Microsoft Corporation

Windows PowerShell

Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.15063.0

Image Version: 10.0.15063.0

No component store corruption detected.

The operation completed successfully.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] The component store is repairable.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.

DEKE12, Feb 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, your best bet will be
    1. Run
    chkdsk C: /F
    from an admin level command prompt.
    (You had a power outage)

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

- keeps all your associations and programs
    - leaves system restore off
    - needs WiFi reconnecting (probably)
    - W updates subsequent to build need redoing.

That powershell command will probably have broken some apps- you may seem some listed with '@' prefixed. Could you confirm? I would be nice to know when MS fixes that. (Broken in build 10586).

You've probably not had an answer 'cos there are so many threads on similar issues- it's worth searching first.

dalchina, Feb 4, 2016
  5. Bougatsas Win User
    Thank you dalchina for your reply
    The checkdisk command found no errors as expected.
    About the broken apps i dont have any except OneDrive which by the way cannot see under uninstall or change a program so i guess i must install it again.
    Now about repair install it looks like it needs a lot of time so I will try it when I have a full day off from work

Bougatsas, Feb 6, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    The in-place repair install will give you a fresh set of universal apps, but expect them to update from the date of the build to date (Nov onwards) as with Windows updates- but these are cumulative, so maybe just 1 to download.

You can start by getting the (matching) Win 10 iso download if you don't already have it.

Install speed - depends on your hardware. Installing Win 10 was dramatically faster on my new laptop (SSD + HDD) - maybe 30 mins compared to 2 hours plus.

Recommend safest approach is
    a. Use disk imaging, image what you have now. (Free - or commercial- program + external storage + create its boot disk)
    b. Do the in-place upgrade repair without downloading updates
    c. Check result & update your disk image

The in-place repair is one really good thing about Win 10.
    Disk imaging is sthg everyone should use- it's a good backup of EVERYTHING + you can restore your PC to a working state in a much faster time than the above + you can transfer everything to a new disk + you can sleep at night (very important!).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't right click taskbar icons - Similar Threads - Can't right click

2. Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop: Hi,I've upgrade one of our employee's computer from win 10 to win 11 last week. At first, everything worked fine but after a few days, all the taskbar icons are gone. The system tray icons still working, the taskbar line still there too, but the icons include window icon all...
  3. Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar icons disappear, can't right click on desktop: Hi,I've upgrade one of our employee's computer from win 10 to win 11 last week. At first, everything worked fine but after a few days, all the taskbar icons are gone. The system tray icons still working, the taskbar line still there too, but the icons include window icon all...
  4. Cannot right-click taskbar icons.

Cannot right-click taskbar icons.: Hi,As per title, I cannot right click my taskbar icons. I can right click start, or the taskbar itself, but not the icons.I cannot perform system restore as there are no restore points before today when the error presented. I have tried restarts, restarting windows explorer,...
  5. Can't right click taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't right click taskbar: Hi, today I started having a problem where I couldn't right-click on the task bar. I look up a solution that says to restart 'tiledatamodelsvc'. When I go to check, I notice that my system lacks this service and that even using PS Get-Service -Name 'tiledatamodelsvc' results...
  6. Can't right click taskbar

Can't right click taskbar: Hi, today I started having a problem where I couldn't right-click on the task bar. I look up a solution that says to restart 'tiledatamodelsvc'. When I go to check, I notice that my system lacks this service and that even using PS Get-Service -Name 'tiledatamodelsvc' results...
  7. Can't right click taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Can't click on icons and right click

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't click on icons and right click: I had my whole PC full and games started to lag I did a reset I starting downloading chrome and steam and suddenly I couldn't click on my desktop I don't know what happend I tried restarting windows explorer and doing other things submitted by /u/Deluxxxe5719 [link]...
  9. Can't right-click taskbar icons or left-click notification area icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't right-click taskbar icons or left-click notification area icons: I have a Surface Laptop 1st gen. Backstory: my keyboard and touchpad stopped working, and to fix that I had to install the driver/firmware package provided by Microsoft for the Surface laptop. Now my keyboard and touchpad work, but I'm having this other strange problem. I...
  10. Taskbar: Can't right click app icons & can't left click system icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar: Can't right click app icons & can't left click system icons: Hi, After doing a lot of tweaking, I've came across a very weird problem at taskbar. When I right click pinned apps on taskbar nothing happens. But left click works. When I left click system icons like volume and network, nothing happens. But right click works....