Windows 10: Can't right click using touchpad

Discus and support Can't right click using touchpad in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having trouble with my moms PC (Acer laptop). Right clicking is not working, but left click is working fine. I went to the trackpad settings... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BadCash, Jan 2, 2017.

1. BadCash Win User

Can't right click using touchpad

Hi, I'm having trouble with my moms PC (Acer laptop). Right clicking is not working, but left click is working fine.

I went to the trackpad settings and first checked that "Use two fingers to right click" was checked, and it was. Then I tried checking the other option called something like "Press in the lower right corner of the trackpad to right click". Here's where the fun started. Now I was ONLY able to right click. Didn't matter where on the trackpad I pressed - always gave me a right click... So had to use TAB and spacebar to disable that option again lol.

Tried going to the real control panel (i.e. the old classic one) and checked the mouse options... didn't have anything about right clicking in there. And there is no driver-specific tab there. I remember when wetting up the computer a year ago that it was impossible to find drivers that gave a tab there. So I'm stuck with the Windows 10 settings panel.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

:)

BadCash, Jan 2, 2017

2. Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 Update!!

Same experience as several others. Windows 10 upgrade broke the touchpad.. pointer wouldnt select unless i hard click somewhere in the middle of the touchpad (not on the left or right side but right in the middle). Soft single click and double click stopped
    working.. Can't use touchpad to do anything.. reverting back to Windows 8.

crimzonthunder, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Turning off two finger right click (not tap) on touchpad

I'm having a problem with my touchpad since the last Windows update and I can't find an answer to this anywhere online.

When I click my touchpad in I want it to always register as a left click. At present when I click my touchpad if I have another finger resting on the touchpad at the time it seems to register this as a "two finger click" and treats it as a right click. It
    never used to do this and it's insanely annoying as I keep having right click menus popping up all the time. I want to turn this feature off completely and just have a click on the touchpad register as a left click (whether I have one finger on the touchpad
    at the time, two fingers, three fingers, or whatever).

I can't seem to find a setting to change this anywhere. I see thousands of tutorials online explaining how to change TAPS on the touchpad. But almost nothing explaining how to change options for clicks on the touchpad. What I want is to be able to right
    click by doing a two finger tap on the touchpad, but to have all clicks on the touchpad register as a left click. This is how the touchpad used to work. I don't want this two finger click setting and it's really become infuriating to use the touchpad as I'm
    so used to clicking with multiple fingers resting on it.

I'm using a laptop with Windows 10.

Moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

banddallion, Jan 2, 2017
  4. Can't right click using touchpad

Welcome to the TenForums.

Not sure what is happening but you are second to post problem in last few hours. I would try to roll back driver.

If this works you may wish to disable Window driver updates.

Stop Windows Updating Drivers
    Right click on Windows Start
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on System and Security
    Click on System
    Click on Advance system settings
    Click on Hardware tab
    Click on Device Installation Settings
    Click on No
    A menu appears (first time) click Never Install driver software.
    You may get a warning. Click the option that says I’ll take care of it (not exact words)

The other thread is in the General Support section.

Please post back in Rolling Back work.

Caledon Ken, Jan 2, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    As @Caledon Ken says, yours is the second post with this problem in a matter of hours. The other post is here.

In my experience a Synaptics touch pad (and most are Synaptics) can occasionally get its hardware registers in a state the driver cannot understand. Even a Restart doesn't seem to clear them. The only remedy I've found that works is to shut down the laptop, remove the battery and wait for a minute so that any residual power can drain away. Then replace the battery and start Windows normally.

If that doesn't fix it, then work through Ken's sugestion.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't right click using touchpad

1. Can't right click using touchpad - Similar Threads - Can't right click

2. touchpad right click not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    touchpad right click not working: right click on laptop touch will not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-right-click-not-working/97996515-83c6-46ce-843d-2796f7ff2889
  3. touchpad right click not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    touchpad right click not working: right click on laptop touch will not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-right-click-not-working/97996515-83c6-46ce-843d-2796f7ff2889
  4. how to right click hold on a touchpad

how to right click hold on a touchpad: Hello - on Windows 11, how can one set the laptop touch pad so that a double click becomes a right click hold if I hold down two fingers. Currently on my touchpad a two finger click gesture is a right click of the mouse. I would like to simulate right click and hold on the...
  5. touchpad right click not working correctly

touchpad right click not working correctly: after i was forced to update my laptop from 1809 to 21h1 i incountered some issues like a windows hello issue but that is in another topic this question is after i updated my touchpad started to act up my right click isnit working correctly i have to tap mulitple times for...
  6. Cannot Right Click on TouchPad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Right Click on TouchPad: I have seen several FAQ's, several websites, tutorials, and even response by windows developers in reinstalling software, updating drivers, restarting the computer, etc and NONE OF IT is enough to fix this issue which is that no matter what I try my computer will not let me...
  7. Touchpad Right-click not working.

Touchpad Right-click not working.: On my Dell Inspiron 15 5580 suddenly one day i switched my laptop On, for Refreshing I right clicked and it was'nt working anymore dont know if it changed settings on its own or what. Right-click works by clicking with two fingers as of now. for viewing properties, etc. in...
  8. Touchpad scrolling and right click not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Touchpad scrolling and right click not working: I have a MacBook Pro 2015 and in Windows 10 my right click and scroll don’t work at all but they work when I boot into Mac OS. My volume shortcuts (f11 and f12) also don’t work but I can control them manually. Any solutions? (I have already reset it and no change has...
  9. I can't click left an right on the touchpad

I can't click left an right on the touchpad: I got a new laptop but I can't shoot while I am aiming in the game because it doesn't let me click both left and right at the same time is there any way to fix this?...
  10. Right click doesn't work on touchpad

Right click doesn't work on touchpad: I have a HP 15-ay083TU laptop with Windows 10.The right click button on my touchpad has suddenly stopped working.I checked the synaptics touchpad settings and the two finger scrolling feature is enabled. 73935