Windows 10: Can't Run .Bat Files

Discus and support Can't Run .Bat Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I try to run .bat files and the just run in note pad. There is no "open with" option. 48199 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vekben, Apr 22, 2016.

1. vekben Win User

Can't Run .Bat Files

I try to run .bat files and the just run in note pad. There is no "open with" option.

:)

vekben, Apr 22, 2016
  2. JosephLeo Win User

Password Protect a Folder in Windows 10

Yes i Agree, files can be kept in safe locker by generating the bat file .

To secure it ,Run the bat file,

To access. again run the bat file. Well. That's good.

But though the folder is protected, bat file [which is outside ] is accessible. If the folder name is changed in the bat file,the locked folder will be unlocked automatically.

Is there any way to restrict that ....? Or Hiding the bat file is the only way ...?

JosephLeo, Apr 22, 2016
  3. Bat files not running correctly

Hello Christian,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

The issue that you are facing is more complex than what is typically answered in the Microsoft Answers forums.
    I would like to suggest you to post your question in the Technet Forum, where we have support professionals who are well equipped
    with the knowledge on such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the following link to reach out to them and post your query there:

Technet forums - Windows 10 General

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Apr 22, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Can't Run .Bat Files

Mind posting one .bat file for testing? If it won't post just post the .txt version. I just created a simple .bat file called Time.bat, consists of just 2 lines, date and time, then saved it. Double-clicking ran it. More complicated .bat files can be problematic. Then to be funny I added DIR /O/S to it then a last line with Pause, with a lot of data on the drive it runs for awhile.

Berton, Apr 22, 2016
  5. vekben Win User
    I tried different bat files its not something wrong with the bat file. Its windows not knowing what to do with it. I tried going in to regedit to delete the .bat user choice but it still just just opens it in note pad.

vekben, Apr 22, 2016
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    use the .cmd extension instead of .bat

Fafhrd, Apr 23, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    It's always good to try applications on a different computer or two to see if it is the file or if the problem is with Windows.
    Have you tried Control Panel, Default Programs? This is what mine is:

Can't Run .Bat Files [​IMG]

Berton, Apr 23, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Can't Run .Bat Files

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't Run .Bat Files

1. Can't Run .Bat Files - Similar Threads - Can't Run Bat

2. Can't execute .bat files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't execute .bat files.: As you can see on this video i can't execute bat files. Can someone help me how can i fix it ? Im using windows 11.https://gifyu.com/image/SnaYY https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-execute-bat-files/8cd724f5-a004-48c6-a8a1-37729c652e48
  3. Can't execute .bat files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't execute .bat files.: As you can see on this video i can't execute bat files. Can someone help me how can i fix it ? Im using windows 11.https://gifyu.com/image/SnaYY https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-execute-bat-files/8cd724f5-a004-48c6-a8a1-37729c652e48
  4. Bat or Cmd file not running at login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bat or Cmd file not running at login: This should be an easy one. Created a net use map drive batch file, also as a cmd. Either one not both, just as a troubleshooting step. File is located on my desktop and if I double click on it, either one it executes as expected and maps the drives. 1st approach was a...
  5. Is it safe to run this bat file?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is it safe to run this bat file?: Spo I was wondering how to get sandbox on windows 10 home and I came across this forum saying that I could run this bat file to try and install it.Enable Windows Sandbox Feature in Windows 10 Home Edition Tutorials tenforums.comThe bat file I downloaded was not blocked by...
  6. Can't run .bat files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't run .bat files: I haven't run a .bat file in quite a while, so perhaps I unknowingly did something along the was that prompted this problem. I was trying to run Brinks "Reset_Notification_Area_Icons_Cache.bat", but instead the file opens in my text editor. I disassociated .bat in that text...
  7. Can't open .bat files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open .bat files: I want to open a .bat file. I double click on it, it appears on the screen in less then 1 second and then it disappears. What can I do? submitted by /u/Dieghito03 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fl7csj/cant_open_bat_files/
  8. Bat Files Won't Run?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bat Files Won't Run?: Basically I'm installing BattlEye for a Steam game and I click the .bat file in the game's subfolder to download it (when I was prompted to download it I clicked no but now I practically need it for most servers), and I download the .bat from the main website and it also...
  9. Suddenly can't run bat files as administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    Suddenly can't run bat files as administrator: New, weird, behavior -- If I right click on a bat file, and Run as Administrator, all I get is a brief flash (perhaps a command window?). Just double clicking on it runs as expected (though not elevated, which is what I need). If I open an elevated command window and run...
  10. Trouble running .bat files

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble running .bat files: Hi, I'm trying to run .bat files on Windows 10, but it tells me that "This app can't run on your PC". It doesn't matter what I use it for, .bat files just won't run anyway. Are .bat files no longer supported? (ran fine on Windows 7) Any workarounds? I'm no expert on...