Windows 10: Can't run some built-in apps like OneNote since replacing motherboard

Discus and support Can't run some built-in apps like OneNote since replacing motherboard in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I was having some issues with my new-at-Christmas laptop - Dell Inspiron 5559 - and the Dell tech support guy sent a tech to replace my motherboard.... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by RhinoCan, Jul 7, 2016.

1. RhinoCan Win User

Can't run some built-in apps like OneNote since replacing motherboard

I was having some issues with my new-at-Christmas laptop - Dell Inspiron 5559 - and the Dell tech support guy sent a tech to replace my motherboard. That was a couple of weeks back. At about the same time, I noticed that OneNote wasn't working any more; it would show the splash screen then crash after a few seconds. I can't be 100% positive that the change of motherboard caused the issue because I didn't note the date of either event.

The motherboard replacement came with a new license key, which I keep in a safe place. The motherboard replacement fixed the problem I was having with my RJ45 jack - the first time I used it, it wouldn't release my cable, then I more-or-less damaged it to finally get the cable out again - but didn't resolve the power issues I was having. (The computer kept complaining about the AC Adapter, both the original Dell one and the offbrand replacement I bought.) Today, the tech came back and replaced the AC Adapter with a new Dell one and now my power issues are resolved.

But I still can't launch OneNote. I tried upgrading OneNote from the store but the upgrade failed on error code 0x80073CF6. When I started researching that, I found several threads about it but no consistent resolution. In skimming those threads, I also noticed that people reported problems with other built-in apps as well. I tried some of mine, like Calculator, and it's not working any more either: it starts to launch, then crashes while showing the splash screen. I can copy and paste Event Viewer incidents if that would help diagnose this problem.

I'm wondering if I have to re-register the operating system in some way due to the replacement motherboard? If so, how do I do that? I'm guessing that Windows is using the key that applied to the old motherboard and not finding this consistent with whatever code it gets from the new motherboard.

:)

RhinoCan, Jul 7, 2016

2. Replacing a bios on a user built machine and licencing....

We built a PC from retail parts and the PC has had a FPP Windows 7 Pro Retail and upgraded to Windows 10 via the free upgrade.

We had a bios corrupt on the motherboard its self. We are not replacing the whole board just the bios chip.

I was curious as to if that would affect licencing or not since Microsoft does refer to the whole motherboard but not individual parts like the bios being replaced.

I seen some answer the question for OEM but since we not OEM I don't know if it be a different situation or not cause the windows key for us is not in the bios.

PeterJones_FKCA, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Motherboard Replacement

My motherboard that I've been using for the last two years in a PC I built myself has recently developed a fault, and as it is still under warranty I'm trying to get a replacement. If I can get one (and I'm not sure) I'm wondering whether I will have to
    buy my Windows Product key again as to the best of my knowledge the OS is linked to the motherboard so replacing the motherboard will get rid of my copy of Windows.

I bought the product key on the Windows store online (It was Windows 8.1 Student Pro at the time but now upgraded to 10) so is there some way I can explain to Microsoft that I'm replacing a faulty Motherboard not upgrading my system so I don't have to purchase
    the same product again?

Sorry if I've misunderstood, it's been a while since I installed the OS and I can't quite remember how it all worked but I'd really like to not have to purchase Windows again if I am able to get a replacement Mobo.

TobyRoberts, Jul 7, 2016
Thema:

Can't run some built-in apps like OneNote since replacing motherboard

1. Can't run some built-in apps like OneNote since replacing motherboard - Similar Threads - Can't run built

2. motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    motherboard replacement: I got a motherboard replace and the technician install Windows on it. When I got home I found out that my Windows is not activated at all. I run the troubleshooter and it didn't resolve my issue. I have Windows 10 before and it came from the free upgrade when its free.How can...
  3. motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    motherboard replacement: I got a motherboard replace and the technician install Windows on it. When I got home I found out that my Windows is not activated at all. I run the troubleshooter and it didn't resolve my issue. I have Windows 10 before and it came from the free upgrade when its free.How can...
  4. Replacing Motherboard OEM built PC Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing Motherboard OEM built PC Windows 11: I recently purchased an OEM built PC With Windows11. I'm about to upgrade my mother board, but I can't get my activation key from the OEM support. I'm planning to perform a clean install using a Windows 11 boot media. I believe activation will be handled when I log into my...
  5. Replacing Motherboard OEM built PC Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replacing Motherboard OEM built PC Windows 11: I recently purchased an OEM built PC With Windows11. I'm about to upgrade my mother board, but I can't get my activation key from the OEM support. I'm planning to perform a clean install using a Windows 11 boot media. I believe activation will be handled when I log into my...
  6. Motherboard replacement

Motherboard replacement: Hi, Is it possible to replace the motherboard in my Dell Inspiron 3847 to allow for a TPM chip? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-replacement/e8383a01-cb84-4ddc-9232-d55c2b894c6b
  7. Motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard replacement: Hi, Is it possible to replace the motherboard in my Dell Inspiron 3847 to allow for a TPM chip? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-replacement/e8383a01-cb84-4ddc-9232-d55c2b894c6b
  8. Apps are lagging after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Apps are lagging after motherboard replacement: My laptop had an issue and I replaced a motherboard. Since that I’ve been having another issue...all the apps are lagging...I have to wait while they are opening and then they are not working properly. I tried to reinstall these apps but that didn’t help. Any ideas? Thank you...
  9. In Search Of OneNote Replacement

In Search Of OneNote Replacement: I use OneNote Version 16001.11231.20118.0 from MS Office 365. Every time I send it data copied from a webpage or my notes, OneNote in the MS Cloud sucks up the added data, even though I have OneNote disconnected from it. Bad idea, since I have a huge library of text-indexed...
  10. replacing motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    replacing motherboard: Guys, I'm planning to change my motherboard soon (defective ports and still USB 2.0) to a more recent motherboard. Coming from windows 7, I understand that replacing the parts would require a reinstall of the OS but maybe it will be a different case for win10. Just wishful...