Windows 10: Can't save changes to desktop, start menu, etc. Help!

Discus and support Can't save changes to desktop, start menu, etc. Help! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to use TeamViewer 11 to help my elderly Dad get his Win10 machine running again after something reset it, or at least wiped out his... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Carnivore, May 23, 2016.

1. Carnivore Win User

Can't save changes to desktop, start menu, etc. Help!

I'm trying to use TeamViewer 11 to help my elderly Dad get his Win10 machine running again after something reset it, or at least wiped out his preferences.

I was able to restore some of his desktop shortcuts, but I can't get any more shortcuts to stick. Any changes I make to his start menu also won't stick. He also can't see his Favorites in IE11 (old habits die hard), despite the fact that the Favorites folder still exists with all of his links in his Users folder.

Whatever caused this to happen also seems to have taken out all of his default Win10 apps (Calendar, Calculator, etc). I tried using Powershell to restore them but the Event Viewer shows the installation keeps failing.

I scanned with Malwarebytes, it looks clean.

I had him reboot, and spent a very long time guiding him over the phone to make new desktop shortcuts without TeamViewer running at all, and none of those changes he made himself stuck through a reboot either.

I'm hundreds of miles away so reinstalling Windows and all of his software, docs and data is not an option. I'm at my wit's end.

Does any of this sound familiar and are there any suggestions on what I can try to break out of this hosed situation?

:)

Carnivore, May 23, 2016

2. I can't acces my desktop

Hi,

I hope someone can help me, First of all my start menu is kind of stuck, i can't change the settings on it, the only see i can manage are apps, but most important, I can't reach my desktop at all, it doesn't matter how many setting i change on the start
    menu, I can't get to my desktop.

Help Please!

StephanieRodriguez0909, May 23, 2016
  3. Searching on the Start menu finds almost none of my files

On my desktop I have changed the location of user documents (contacts, documents, saved games, downloads, music, pictures, video etc) to a different drive. When searching from the start menu, I can't find any of my documents/music/videos.

"Search my stuff" does find my music/video files.

On my laptop, I have not amended the location of user documents and search finds my documents, music/video files in the search menu.

So, I think that theory above is confirmed. And blooming silly.

ChrisHarker, May 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello,
    First, does he have any usable system restore points? If so, try one.
    Second, I assume he doesn't use disk imaging and hasn't created a system image. Disk Imaging, routinely updated, is a most useful way of recovering from problems without technical help.

Without these, I suggest:
    at an admin command prompt

sfc /scannow

If this fails (check the log) you could proceed with
    the two DISM commands here:
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

If that fails, I would suggest an in-place upgrade repair install.

dalchina, May 23, 2016
  5. Carnivore Win User
    Good suggestions that I'd already started working my way through. System Restore had failed, and sfc /scannow didn't find any issues.

I finally tracked it down to a corrupted user profile, and followed the steps given here to fix it.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...ofile-fix.html

Once Windows rebuilt his profile, the missing Windows apps showed up again too.

Pretty frustrating fault. Thanks for the help, though.

Carnivore, May 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Great you've fixed it.. Yep, that's one that occurs too often. Seems another weakness.

Sometimes it's 'Windows' - sometimes it's a profile problem - and that one usually occurs for some with a major upgrade.

dalchina, May 23, 2016
  7. Carnivore Win User
    It turns out he was in the habit of turning off his computer with the physical power button instead of using the Windows shut down menu. I'm going to assume that's what caused the corruption, although I don't know for certain if that's what did it.

Carnivore, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't save changes to desktop, start menu, etc. Help! - Similar Threads - Can't save changes

2. Can't scroll in Windows applications; Settings, Start Menu, etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't scroll in Windows applications; Settings, Start Menu, etc.: As the title says, I cannot use my scroll wheel to scroll down in Windows applications, primarily Settings and even in the All Apps section of the Start Menu. I'm running Windows 11 Home 22H2 version 22621.675 on a Ryzen 5 5600 processor and a Radeon RX 6600 graphics card,...
  3. Can't scroll in Windows applications; Settings, Start Menu, etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't scroll in Windows applications; Settings, Start Menu, etc.: As the title says, I cannot use my scroll wheel to scroll down in Windows applications, primarily Settings and even in the All Apps section of the Start Menu. I'm running Windows 11 Home 22H2 version 22621.675 on a Ryzen 5 5600 processor and a Radeon RX 6600 graphics card,...
  4. RE: Start Menu Changes Not Saved; ShellExperienceHost, SearchUI,...

in Windows 10 Customization
    RE: Start Menu Changes Not Saved; ShellExperienceHost, SearchUI,...: My relatively new Windows 10 machine was intended as a music and video production-only workstation, so I previously disabled all network functionality to ensure no Update meddling or Rootkit shenanigans. However, my old Windows 7 computer, serving as Internet workstation,...
  5. My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Desktop, Start Menu, Etc.: Well, Microsoft finally did it. It had to happen but I can't believe the stupidity in their move. My machine is so messed up, as of July 6, 2019, that anything I place on the Desktop will NOT stay after a restart. Games will NOT start from the Start menu at any time. And,...
  6. Can't Change Start Menu Language

Can't Change Start Menu Language: I changed the language. But still can't change some parts of the start menu. [ATTACH] As you can see, I wrote "language" to the search bar and the result is in "Turkish" (previous language). And also I can't open anything by click on them. So I want them "English" too....
  7. no access to 'start menu' etc

no access to 'start menu' etc: im on insider preview of windows home - build 17692.rs_prerelease_flt.180625-1624 i have lost access to start menu and the notifications shortcut. when i attempt to run programs i receive error messages. i have lost quite a bit of functionality on my system (including...
  8. desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop changed, floating start menu, no settings, etc..: I"m not sure what I did, but my desktop has changed. I tried to attach a screenshot, but don't think I did it correctly. Here's what it looks like when I touch the start button. -My start menu items are floating sort of to the right, in the position they normall are....
  9. Start Menu Layout will not save the changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Layout will not save the changes: I just did a clean installed of Windows 10 (1709) and as I recall, this happened to me a while back as well when the Start Menu Layout will not save the changes. So when I Unpin all the apps from the Start Layout, it will not save the settings even after all the updates and...
  10. Can't change my start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't change my start menu: Hi ever since I had first installed Win10 my start menu has looked like this, [img] I thought nothing of it but my dad's start menu has tiles and things on it and I like it a lot more. But I have NO IDEA how to change it to that. Sometimes when I start windows the start...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can we save changes in start menu