Windows 10: Can't save files "You don't have permission to save here"

Discus and support Can't save files "You don't have permission to save here" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I started this thread because I could not find the original one with this issue. I was having this issue as well as many others. I would try to save a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JoeU, Mar 17, 2018.

1. JoeU Win User

Can't save files "You don't have permission to save here"

I started this thread because I could not find the original one with this issue. I was having this issue as well as many others. I would try to save a file either with a program or browser and would get a pop up saying I didn't have permission to do so. After searching for an answer why, since I am the only account and it's Admin. I finally found the answer. It wasn't windows at all . My antivirus had file protection enabled. Once I found this, since the popup looks like a windows issue. I disabled or removed the programs that I needed to save files with. All is good now, I can save files and no pop up. So, make sure your anti virus is not the issue, check for file protection and remove or unblock the programs you require to save files.

I wanted to share this, since the thread I originally found had people going to windows settings and changing permissions, enabling secret hidden admin and security features. This is bad and could cause more problems for them.

:)

2. Jeff B141 Win User

Error "You don't have permission to save here. Contact the Administrator to obtain permission"on Windows 10

Original title: Can NOT save photos sent in email

Windows 10 with December update on Dell XPS 12 laptop. When I select a photo in an email, and Save AS; and tell it to go to my Pictures file on my hard drive - it says "You don't have permission to save here. Contact the Administrator to obtain permission.
    " Then it says " Would you like to save to the Pictures folder ? " Really ? Duh.....that's what I want to do.... but it won't ! Help please.

Jeff B141, Mar 17, 2018
  3. Error "You don't have permission to save here. Contact the Administrator to obtain permission"on Windows 10

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to save photos due to Administrator privileages on Windows 10. I will certainly help

you.

Problems that prevent you from accessing files and folders after you upgrade to a new version of Windows can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• The folder ownership has changed.
    • The files are being stored in a Windows.old folder from your previous system.
    If you recently upgraded your computer to Windows 10 from an earlier version of Windows, some of your account information may have changed. Therefore, you may no longer have ownership of some files and folders. You might be able to resolve
    this issue by restoring your ownership of the files and folders. Here's how:

1. Navigate to This PC or press Windows logo key + E
    and select C drive > Users > Your user name.

2. Right click on the folder that you want to take ownership and select Properties.

3. Click the Security tab, under Group or user names menu, select your
    user name and click on Edit.

4. Click on Full control check box under
    Permissions for authenticated users
    and click on Apply and OK.

5. Select Advanced under Security tab

6. Check the option Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box
    and click on Apply and OK to save

changes.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Mar 17, 2018
  4. Can't save files "You don't have permission to save here"

Great job there and I tend to agree with your conclusions. *Thumbs

slicendice, Mar 17, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    @JoeU, yours was the last post here but it's good to have this solution as a thread of its own. If you mark it Solved it will help others find it.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't save files "You don't have permission to save here"

1. Can't save files "You don't have permission to save here" - Similar Threads - Can't save files

2. It looks like you don't have permission to save changes to this file. Try saving a copy...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    It looks like you don't have permission to save changes to this file. Try saving a copy...: I will try my hardest not to swear here. This ought to be the simplest thing in the world: I have a video file on my desktop. I am trying to save a clip from that video file as a separate file. Instead, it's *****ing impossible. Every time I try, I get the same message: "It...
  3. It looks like you don't have permission to save changes to this file. Try saving a copy...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It looks like you don't have permission to save changes to this file. Try saving a copy...: I will try my hardest not to swear here. This ought to be the simplest thing in the world: I have a video file on my desktop. I am trying to save a clip from that video file as a separate file. Instead, it's *****ing impossible. Every time I try, I get the same message: "It...
  4. It looks like you don't have permission to save changes to this file. Try saving a copy...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "You don't have permission to save changes to this file"

"You don't have permission to save changes to this file": I'm the only one using this desktop, with only one user account. I have tried almost everything, under properties I have ensured that all admin/users have full control. I have run sfc /scannow. But it's still not working... All I want to do is trim my videos :- please help...
  6. You don't have permission to save in this location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't have permission to save in this location: I am getting this error message on all files in My Documents Just did the 9/8/2020 Win 10 update!!! "You don't have permission to save in this location"...
  7. you don't have permission to save in this location

you don't have permission to save in this location: Latest Windows update I am a developer and one client is having the issue that his app can't save ordinary text files to his Documents folder. They can be saved to the User root below Documents. I added 'everyone' with full control to the permissions list for Documents but...
  8. Don't have permission to save files

in Windows 10 Support
    Don't have permission to save files: Hi, I did try searching for help with this but it wasn't working for me so I wonder if anyone can help. I recently installed an SSD and cloned my previous C drive to it. Everything works fine. Except that I cannot save files in Program Files or Program Files x86 on the...
  9. "You don't have permission to save in this location"

in Windows 10 Support
    "You don't have permission to save in this location": I installed a photo editing program program (DxO Filmpack 3) which I had previously used successfully on a different computer that also runs Windows 10. But on my new computer, whenever I try to save a photo to a folder on my Desktop using the program, I get the following...
  10. Cannot save files "You Don't Have Permission to Save..." W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot save files "You Don't Have Permission to Save..." W10: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10. I loved the changes, until yesterday. I am signed in as the administrator of my account. I tried to save a simple spreadsheet to Documents in One Drive. I received this message: "You don’t have permission to save in this location....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. you dont have permission to save this file here