Windows 10: Can't save MS Office 2013 documents after Win10 upgrade from Win8.1

Discus and support Can't save MS Office 2013 documents after Win10 upgrade from Win8.1 in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; PROBLEM: MS Office 2013 can't save files anywhere except in OneDrive (which I don't want to use). BACKGROUND: Win10 upgrade on Alienware 17 R2... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by 4dw10, Nov 25, 2015.

1. 4dw10 Win User

Can't save MS Office 2013 documents after Win10 upgrade from Win8.1

PROBLEM:
    MS Office 2013 can't save files anywhere except in OneDrive (which I don't want to use).

BACKGROUND:
    • Win10 upgrade on Alienware 17 R2 (2015 model) from 8.1 went well - no errors.
    • After using for a few days (normal shutdown / startups), used MS Word to create a document.

• Created my document
    • Went to file save dialogue, typed in filename e.g. "status update.docx".
    • Almost immediately, the MS Word file save dialogue popped back up with the same filename, but now appended with a "1" e.g. "statusupdate1.docx" and received an error message (1st clue things aren't right)
    • Hit 'Save' and everything looks okay except the document name shown at the top of MS Word is "Document1" (2nd clue things aren't right)
    • Choose 'File, Close' and dialogue "Want to save your changes to Document1?" pops up (3rd clue)
    • Choose 'Save' and "statusupdate1.docx" appears as the filename -- no matter how many times I hit 'Save' the 'Save as' dialogue keeps coming back with the "statusupdate1.docx" filename
    • I'm forced to choose 'Don't Save' in the dialogue to exit MS Word
    • I CAN'T save in docx, docm, or doc in any location EXCEPT OneDrive
    • I CAN save rtf versions everywhere

ACTIONS TAKEN:

• Checked the web for fixes but didn't find any that worked
    • Ran sfc /scannow
    • Ran dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    • Chose to completely remove MS Office 2013 and reinstall (used Microsoft's MSO total removal tool which removes all registry entries in addition to removing the files)
    • After re-installation, experienced the same problem with MS Excel files (new problem after remove/install cycle)
    • Checked out Microsoft's Known Issues with Office and Windows 10, but no joy - "Known issues with Office and Windows 10
    • Now every time I use Word, it also tries to save normal.docx which it can't save, and which takes multiple steps to finally abandon saving. Since word is used by Outlook, it also means that I have the normal.docx style sheet issue when composing mail or opening attachments.
    • UPDATE: Installed Office 2016 in trial mode. No change. Exactly the same problem with Office 2016 as Office 2013.

Any help appreciated.

UPDATE: SOLVED

Trusteer product from IBM was the problem. Once removed, all applications work and save normally.

:)

4dw10, Nov 25, 2015
  2. Jack-P Win User

How do you want to open this?

I've got the same problem. Two weeks ago I posted a similar question on the Dutch support site but

to date I've not seen any reactions yet.

I upgraded my workstation from Win8.1 to Win10 with MS Office 2010 installed. Said problem occurs

only when I click on a link in Outlook 2010. Hyperlinks in Word, Excel and Acrobat documents

behave as they should. Two notebooks - also with MS Office installed - I upgraded to Win10 from

Win8.1 exhibit the same behaviour.

So far I have not seen any useful reaction from Microsoft Support for this bug. I wish Microsoft

would seriously look into this matter, rather than spamming Win10-users with unsollicitated

boastful mails about the goodies of Win10.

Jack

Jack-P, Nov 25, 2015
  3. Will my microsoft office home and student 2013 be compatible on windows 10 ?

Every time I try printing a document from Office Home & Student 2013 it tells me I need to upgrade to 365.

I also can't change a document I saved from Read only.

RochellePohlman, Nov 25, 2015
  4. Can't save MS Office 2013 documents after Win10 upgrade from Win8.1

As a test upgrade to Office 2016
    I know it works ok in there and Office 365

hTconeM9user, Nov 25, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    That's a cop-out answer.
    The OP paid good money for Office 2013.
    Help him to solve the problem. Don't tell him to switch to 2016.
    So what if Office 2016 does work. Does that fix his Office 2013 problem ?

davidhk, Nov 25, 2015
  6. Because I had same problem ok so switched to 2016 and found it worked ok
    unless you have a better fix for it
    I also paid for office 2013 and found it did not work
    So cancelled 2013 and don't mind paying for Office 365 and gain Office 2016
    It did not work once upgraded on any of our tablets and laptops and being as used 24/7 needed something that did which happens to be the 2, I mentioned
    Also daughter had to switch all her computers to new office as she runs a load off businesses and needs a program that works not one that let her down.
    That is why I mentioned office 2016
    The poster has tried everything else

7. davidhk Win User
    The OP has not tried everything.\He has not tried to uninstall and reinstall 2013.

You might have the money to screw around. Not everyone has the budget to throw away something they paid good money for.

You don't have an answer to fix Office 2013. then stop wasting the OP's time reading.

davidhk, Nov 25, 2015
  8. Can't save MS Office 2013 documents after Win10 upgrade from Win8.1

Poster put this
    You put
    So he has tried everything so your reply is wrong

No I do not have money to burn that is why I switched as 2013 did not work (so wont pay)
    365 and 2016 does (am paying)

9. davidhk Win User
    You don't read too well, do you.
    " Everything" means little unless a list of "everything" is posted.
    And The OP posted the list which does not include Uninstall/reinstall Office 2013.

davidhk, Nov 25, 2015
  10. He put

So he has already uninstalled it and reinstalled it
    So it is you that is wrong
    Action Taken I believe means he has tried it

So yes I do read ok
    Remember ACTION TAKEN and number 4 & 5 means he has done that

If it said NO ACTION TAKEN would mean he had not done it

11. davidhk Win User
    You are right...... for a change.
    And I was wrong missing that part.
    I am man enough to admit mistake.

But that does not mean the problem cannot be fixed. Someone with the real computer knowledge will be able to help.

davidhk, Nov 25, 2015
  12. 4dw10 Win User
    UPDATE:
    • I loaded the Office 2016 trial, but it does NOT solve the problem. Exactly the same symptoms in Word 2016 as Word 2013
    • Clarification - when I uninstalled MS Office 2013, I used Microsoft's special complete removal tool for this purpose. The complete removal tool wipes all MS Office related registry entries (unlike the normal 'Add / Remove Programs' which leaves such entries in place)

4dw10, Nov 25, 2015
  13. Can't save MS Office 2013 documents after Win10 upgrade from Win8.1

Thank you now lets move on ok

14. Can you download office 365 from their Microsoft page you can install that as a trial.
    Once you have managed to get it working then you should be able to update and install office 2016
    I have both and find them to work ok and work well with your printer

Found this link
    office setup - Bing

15. strollin Win User
    There is no reason Office 2013 won't work with Win 10. I have Office 2003 installed on a netbook I upgraded to Win 10 and it works without issue. I also have installed Office 2010, 2013 and Office 2016 on various Win 10 VMs and every version of Office I have tried has worked fine.

Is Word the only Office program that cannot save except to your OneDrive folder? Can you create and save Office files from Excel and PowerPoint?

strollin, Nov 25, 2015
Thema:

Can't save MS Office 2013 documents after Win10 upgrade from Win8.1

1. Can't save MS Office 2013 documents after Win10 upgrade from Win8.1 - Similar Threads - Can't save Office

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. ms office documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ms office documents: why i cannot open ms office documents from whatsapp web or email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-documents/4fa25b34-6482-4e8d-aaa9-79b9f9d8a251
  5. Upgrade from Office 2013 to 2019 troubles

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Upgrade from Office 2013 to 2019 troubles: I managed to upgrade two laptops lately to office 2019 , the first was on office 2016 which upgraded without troubles , the second was on 2013 , now this one however gave me so much troubles as it crashed one installation of windows beyond recovery , and on the other...
  6. MS Office 2013 disappeared after upgrade from Win7 to Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MS Office 2013 disappeared after upgrade from Win7 to Win10: Good day, I have upgraded my one laptop from Win7 to Win 10 but my Ms Office 2013 has disappeared. I want to upgrade my other laptop as well but can't let that happen. Regards Francois van der Merwe *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. Saving office documents

Saving office documents: I have just created a new word document. When I try to do a "file", "save as" it tells me I don't have permission to save in that location and to contact the administrator to obtain permission. I am the administrator as mine is the only name in the users. Has anyone else come...
  8. MS Office 2013

MS Office 2013: I have a fully licensed copy of MS office 2013. I have been sent a word.doc attachment on an email and saved it to the HDD, but Word refuses to open it!!!! 52061
  9. MS Office 2013 update...

MS Office 2013 update...: Moderator(s), please move this topic to the correct forum, thanks... I have two Windows 10 Professional, 64-bits (1709) with the latest updates, both systems have MS Office 2013 Professional. On one of the systems, MS Office does not update, while the other does. After...
  10. MS Office 2013 aps...

MS Office 2013 aps...: This issue has been bothering me for awhile, short description.... Windows 7 and 10 sharing files via workgroup with one gig switched network, using local accounts. Initial opening and MS Office file (.docx, .xlsx, etc.) takes anywhere from 15-25 seconds. Opening another...