Windows 10: Can't Save to Right Explorer Pane

Discus and support Can't Save to Right Explorer Pane in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello: I am having trouble saving file(s) I've selected in the right-hand Explorer panel to the a folder of my choice in left-hand pane. This is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheArtfulDodger, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Can't Save to Right Explorer Pane

Hello:

I am having trouble saving file(s) I've selected in the right-hand Explorer panel to the a folder of my choice in left-hand pane. This is something I've always been able to do but can't anymore!

I have uploaded an example (Illegal Save.jpg): Here I was attempting to copy the file "HDD Drive Letter Settings.txt" from the "Windows 10 Settings" folder to "Windows 10 Settings\Empty Folder" but, as shown, Windows 10 prevents it. There is nothing special about these folders or this file - I simply created it for this example. They both reside on one of the partitions on my SSD.

Note that if I attempt to transfer this same file between two instances of Explorer (see attached file "Save This Way OK.jpg"), Windows is just fine with the copy!

Is there some setting that I have changed (or perhaps Microsoft has changed) that prevents this transfer?

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

:)

TheArtfulDodger, Apr 1, 2018
  2. SlotsBG Win User

When attempting to process files in the Windows 10 Explorer-Message says "this action can't be completed because the file is open in another program".

Original Title: Windows 10 Explorer

When attempting to process files in the Windows 10 Explorer with the Preview Pane enabled, One can't review file to right and elect to delete. Message says "this action can't be completed because the file is open in another program". This is nuts.
    Obviously the preview pain is the program reportedly running. It is understood that if document is running in its affiliated application, one would not be able to delete, but not preview pane.

In Windows 7 I frequently look at documents to right in preview pane, right click and delete. Makes sense, I see it and confirm it is correct to delete. In Windows 10, I must select details pane, for which can’t see content of document
    to delete.

Those who scan several documents know they have to scan and Save As later with associated name for document. The scanners typically date and number document. One ends up with two copies. When it comes time to clean up duplicates it
    is a tedious task in Windows 10.

This is very poor engineering and very sloppy design. Get it fixed as is in Windows 7.

SlotsBG, Apr 1, 2018
  3. Lorne50 Win User
    Unable to drag and drop in file explorer

If I open file explorer with the 'This PC' folder list expanded in the left pane and a folder open in the right pane I can't drag and drop a file or a folder from anywhere in the right pane to any folder in the left pane.

If I open a second instance of file explorer I can drag anything from any folder to any other location going from one instance to the other - it fails only when dragging withing one instance of file explorer. I can also drag from one place to another within
    the right pane.

Is this a design feature in Windows 10 (if so it is stupid - I used this feature all the time in previous windows versions). If not how do I solve the problem ?

Lorne50, Apr 1, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

Can't Save to Right Explorer Pane

Don't know if it's because you two folders highlighted in last screenshot but I move files like this all the time though it's sometimes harder to hit the target than to use the address bar. Try dragging it to 'Empty folder' at the top to move or r-click 'Copy' then r-click 'Paste' in 'Empty folder in address bar

Can't Save to Right Explorer Pane [​IMG]

mrgeek, Apr 1, 2018
  5. AndreTen Win User
    hi Sparky, and welcome to Tenforums

Can you check the properties of that folder (or the folder above). I have no problems to copy or move files or folder between left and right pane.
    Set the folder's view (columns) to show attributes and owner. Maybe there's some problem

Can't Save to Right Explorer Pane [​IMG]

AndreTen, Apr 1, 2018
  6. Hello, Andre:

I have done as you suggested but no joy. The file has only the "A" attribute and the owner is my user ('course I am the only user!). What I didn't say is that this happens to me "all the time, literally". I am forever bringing up two copies of Explorer to copy things; I used to do this all the time so I know something's changed!*cry

Please keep thinking 'cause it's driving me over the top!!

Thanks in advance,

Sparky

TheArtfulDodger, Apr 2, 2018
  7. Hello, Mr.:

I tried that and it worked but I hate to have to resort to that! Plus, it clobbers whatever's in the Clipboard. Certainly not my preferred solution. But, it does show that there's no reason WHY dragging-n-dropping won't work!

Thanks for trying and please don't give up! I'm convinced there's a setting that has changed and is preventing this!

Kind regards,

Sparky

TheArtfulDodger, Apr 2, 2018
  8. AndreTen Win User

Any other sign of system misbehaving?
    Please run sfc command in elevated command prompt:
    Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] and post, if system shows any errors.
    Of course, there is always possibility to run other apps instead of Windows explorer, but it should work.

AndreTen, Apr 2, 2018
  9. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Sparky

TheArtfulDodger, Apr 4, 2018
  10. AndreTen Win User
    Another thing to check is, if those folders are added to "protected folders"? (Click on Start and type Protected - it should appear in the list). Really have no idea what is wrong, just checking.

Can you remember anything special about that time, when problem started?

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
  11. No, unfortunately. I was wondering if there was an entry in the registry that prohibited transfers "right-to-left" in the explorer because it happens all of the time, regardless of what kind of file(s) I am transferring and to where I am transferring them!

TheArtfulDodger, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Save to Right Explorer Pane - Similar Threads - Can't Save Right

2. Windows File Explorer shows details pane; I want it to show properties pane in the right...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer shows details pane; I want it to show properties pane in the right...: My File Explorer stopped showing me a PROPERTIES pane all of a sudden. It now shows a DETAILS pane. How do I get it back to showing properties?...
  3. Windows File Explorer shows details pane; I want it to show properties pane in the right...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer shows details pane; I want it to show properties pane in the right...: My File Explorer stopped showing me a PROPERTIES pane all of a sudden. It now shows a DETAILS pane. How do I get it back to showing properties?...
  4. Windows File Explorer shows details pane; I want it to show properties pane in the right...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Explorer View Pane

Explorer View Pane: I like to use view pane in Windows Explorer. So far, as I have installed the Adobe Arcobat, I could preview thepdf files on the View Pane in the Windows Explorer. Since I installed the app PDFsam, the preview style has changed and PDF is activated each time I want to preview...
  6. Can't right click on Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't right click on Windows Explorer: Whenever I right click it just hangs forever with the little blue thing, if I close Windows Explorer the entire screen resets. I tried downloading ShellExView, it's useless! Don't suggest that awful program. I tried reinstalling my drivers, didn't work! How can I fix this...
  7. Explorer Preview Pane

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer Preview Pane: I work in the architecture community and need the ability to preview pdf's with the preview pane. Worked fine in the past, but now I can't zoom to see the whole sheet in the preview pane. No matter what I do, this is the fixed level of zoom. See image. [ATTACH]...
  8. windows explorer hang after save on excel with preview pane enabled.

windows explorer hang after save on excel with preview pane enabled.: Hi, I am using Windows 10 Pro and MS Office 2010 Home and business version. Usually I will access one network share folder and open excel file, with preview pane enabled at the windows explorer, as show in below print screen. But after I save the excel file, my windows...
  9. Explorer crashing when right clicking folders on Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer crashing when right clicking folders on Navigation Pane: Hi there Recently I've been experiencing a weird problem with Windows 10. Right clicking any folders on the pane on the left - the one with folders, libraries etc. causes explorer to freeze and then crash. I can right click on files and folders in the main explorer...
  10. Why is the right pane of File Explorer showing the wrong folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is the right pane of File Explorer showing the wrong folders?: . In File Explorer, if a folder is selected in the left navigation pane, the normal behaviour is for the right pane to display sub-folders of that selected folder. The attached screenshot shows strange behaviour. If the library "1Documents" is selected in the left...