Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've never been able to search file contents in a folder. I've rebuilt my index; I have the indexing options set to search the users folder, except for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phrab, Jul 28, 2018.

1. phrab Win User

I've never been able to search file contents in a folder. I've rebuilt my index; I have the indexing options set to search the users folder, except for appdata. And I have Index Options>most File types & e.g. ".doc" files are set to "Index Properties and File Contents".
    Yet when I'm in a Windows Explorer window & search for a word, it will only find files with that word in the name, not files that contain the word.
    I've attached two images of my settings. I also tried https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-9acc170481ac suggestion of powershell: $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest but it didn’t work. I also used sfc & it found no problems.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
    Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer [​IMG]

Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer [​IMG]

:)

phrab, Jul 28, 2018
  2. Gerard Qui Win User

Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Jul 28, 2018
  3. Jennifer Cha Win User
    setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jul 28, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary

Hi, have you checked the files are actually selected in Indexing Options? I.e. the folders containing them are indexed?

This is the clue:

• If you're still unable to search file contents, try:

• Open Windows Explorer
    • Right-click the folder you want to search, e.g. My Documents
    • Click: Properties
    • On the General tab, Click: Advanced
    • On the Advanced Attributes dialog, select:

[x] Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties
    • Click: OK
    • Click: OK

Personally I avoid explorer search as far as possible, and use
    Locate32
    Utrasearch does the same job, with a modern GUI, better than Everything.
    However, these don't index content.
    Locate32 adds a file content search for some types.

dalchina, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Can't search contents

2. windows 10 live mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 live mail: since windows 10 updates "send link" greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-live-mail/e4b9576a-0bff-40d1-98cd-d50bd5191611
  3. If I decide to choose Reset my PC option that saves my files and reinstalls Windows 10,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I decide to choose Reset my PC option that saves my files and reinstalls Windows 10,...: The edition I'm using is Windows 10 Pro, and under the Activation, it says: Windows is activated using your organization's activation service. I would like to choose Reset my PC from the Recovery option, keep my files and reinstall Windows, but will I have to enter the...
  4. activte my windows and prodcut key

activte my windows and prodcut key: activte my windows and prodcut key activte my windows and prodcut key activte my windows and prodcut key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/activte-my-windows-and-prodcut-key/b15faf13-12ff-4005-b31f-d8ddbc409087
  5. Google Chrome refuses to install on Windows 10

Google Chrome refuses to install on Windows 10: My Google Chrome was working fine yesterday, but I haven't been able to get it to load any webpages today. Meanwhile, my internet explorer has been working fine. I am not using a proxy server, so that box was already unchecked. I didn't want to make too many changes on the...
  6. Computer is Slow After Starting Windows(Booting)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer is Slow After Starting Windows(Booting): I use a Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop with i7 Processor and 8GB RAM. When I bought the laptop, it was normal after boot. Then after time passed by, my performance of my laptop started degrading (i.e) The computer was damn slow for nearly a minute after boot and returns to normal...
  7. How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10: I have POS printer installed in my system. I defined a Custom Receipt Paper size in Printer server properties, which is not listing in my printers paper size and the same i need to set it as my default paper...
  8. Imorting Live Mail contacts in Windows 7 to Mail in Windows 10

Imorting Live Mail contacts in Windows 7 to Mail in Windows 10: As Live Mail Windows 7 and Mail Windows 10 are Microsoft products, How do I import my contacts from Live Mail in Windows 7 to Mail in Windows 10? If it is not possible why not - they are /Microsoft products?...
  9. Dell laptop windows 10 problem

Dell laptop windows 10 problem: i bought a used laptop with no apps from the store and try to install Microsoft word app to my computer after finishing installing it asks me to update the computer and i click yes after 1 hr it finish updating and start preparing windows then it can't finish for about 24...
  10. I am unable to open the personalize window..

I am unable to open the personalize window..: Hello there.. I am unable to open the personalized window on my windows 10. I have searched the same doubt in this website and they have given me the method that what to do next.. I have tried it out but still somehow i am not able to open it.. Here i have attached the...