Windows 10: Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've never been able to search file contents in a folder. I've rebuilt my index; I have the indexing options set to search the users folder, except for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phrab, Jul 28, 2018.

1. phrab Win User

Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer

I've never been able to search file contents in a folder. I've rebuilt my index; I have the indexing options set to search the users folder, except for appdata. And I have Index Options>most File types & e.g. ".doc" files are set to "Index Properties and File Contents".
    Yet when I'm in a Windows Explorer window & search for a word, it will only find files with that word in the name, not files that contain the word.
    I've attached two images of my settings. I also tried https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-9acc170481ac suggestion of powershell: $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest but it didn’t work. I also used sfc & it found no problems.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
    Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer [​IMG]

Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer [​IMG]

:)

phrab, Jul 28, 2018

2. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Jul 28, 2018
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jul 28, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary

Hi, have you checked the files are actually selected in Indexing Options? I.e. the folders containing them are indexed?

This is the clue:

• If you're still unable to search file contents, try:

• Open Windows Explorer
    • Right-click the folder you want to search, e.g. My Documents
    • Click: Properties
    • On the General tab, Click: Advanced
    • On the Advanced Attributes dialog, select:

[x] Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties
    • Click: OK
    • Click: OK

Personally I avoid explorer search as far as possible, and use
    Locate32
    Utrasearch does the same job, with a modern GUI, better than Everything.
    However, these don't index content.
    Locate32 adds a file content search for some types.

dalchina, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't search for contents in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Can't search contents

2. Can't find empty folders using Windows Explorer search function

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't find empty folders using Windows Explorer search function: I'm trying to find all folders that are empty. Within Windows Explorer I select the folder, which contains a number of sub-folders. Click in the search box which then brings up the search options at the top of the window. I select All Subfolders; Type as Folders: Size as...
  3. Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Search: Launch Windows Explorer Search: What I'd like to find is a way to have a searchbox on the Taskbar that launches Windows Search, not the new Windows search. I'm pretty sure it's just a different GUID or namespace. This will do for now though. From the SevenForums (SF) Tutorial section Search Shortcut -...
  4. Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders: I apologize if I get some of the terminology wrong. Hopefully the screenshots will help. Basically if I open Windows Explorer and select Pictures from the Navigation page, I can search for a file (IMG_2354) and find it correctly. The file is located in...
  5. File Explorer searches

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer searches: I'm having some problems finding a folder which I'm 99% sure is on my computer. The folder is called "workspace" (without the quotes of course) and I created it months ago on either my C: drive or my F: drive; it is *much* more likely that it is on the C: drive but I'm not...
  6. windows search not able to search content of pdf when search more

in Windows 10 Support
    windows search not able to search content of pdf when search more: Windows search is not able to search the content of pdf files when searching more than 4 digit number. I have pdf files in a folder when I try to search a content eg 7349, it shows the files which are having this number but if I increase the digits to one more e.g 73495, the...
  7. Search contents of files with dynamic extensions

in Windows 10 Support
    Search contents of files with dynamic extensions: Hello, Let me preface this by saying that I do not have administrator rights to the machine I'm asking about. I will need to get IT Support to actually fix this for me, but they sort of looked at me with their eyes glazed over when I tried to explain it to them. So, I...
  8. File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary: Hi, I just downloaded the Windows 10 Anniversary update. I started to use my computer how I normally would and a frequent thing that I do is go through my downloads and search for content within word documents. I tried to do that now and it won't search for contents within...
  9. Search only filenames, not contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Search only filenames, not contents: Is it possible to prevent Windows search from indexing the contents of documents and archives, restricting results to filenames only? 41399
  10. Search layout in Windows Explorer keeps going back to "Content" layout

in Windows 10 Support
    Search layout in Windows Explorer keeps going back to "Content" layout: Hi, I do file search a lot in File Explorer and the default layout for the search results is "Content". Normally I'm able to change this to "Details" layout, resize the columns, etc. and this layout would be saved. However, after I did the anniversary update I'm no longer...