Windows 10: Can't search from Start menu

Discus and support Can't search from Start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I recently had to reinstall (complete/clean install) W-10, and ever since then I cannot search from Start. I open the Start menu as normal,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vaindil, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Vaindil Win User

Can't search from Start menu

Hello!

I recently had to reinstall (complete/clean install) W-10, and ever since then I cannot search from Start. I open the Start menu as normal, either by clicking the icon or by pressing the Windows key on my keyboard, but when I press any key as I normally would to search the Start menu just goes away. This is INCREDIBLY annoying and I really need the search functionality back. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

:)

Vaindil, Dec 23, 2014

2. Can't access settings from start menu in Windows 10

For some strange reason I can't click on any of the settings options that show up when I search from the start menu. For example, if I search for 'uninstall a program' from the start menu, a list of options show up but any associated with settings can't
    be clicked on. Whenever I click, absolutely nothing happens. I can't even right click.

Can't search from Start menu [​IMG]

Everything highlighted in red can't be clicked on. Please help.

lost_intheworld, Dec 23, 2014
  3. Lost the ability to search ffrom start menu, and lost Cortana icon

I have lost the ability to search from the start menu, and also Cortana has vanished, which means I can't search from her. This makes it very difficult to search, other than via Bing.

tonyboreham, Dec 23, 2014
  4. Charlie Win User

Hey can you search from the task bar?

Charlie, Dec 23, 2014
  5. Vaindil Win User
    Oh man, I completely forgot about that! Argh. I re-enabled that, tried searching, it worked, then I disabled it again and I can again search from the Start menu. Thank you so much!

Vaindil, Dec 23, 2014
  6. Charlie Win User
    Cool, Happy Holidays *Cool

Charlie, Dec 23, 2014
  7. Vaindil Win User
    Dang, I was wrong! Search worked that one time after I disabled the search button again, but it doesn't work now (again).

Possibly related(?): Even though my settings are set to have the Start menu display the most-used programs, nothing displays in that section--it's just always been blank. Is there perhaps a way to reset my Start menu altogether?

Vaindil, Dec 23, 2014
  8. Charlie Win User

You could try a refresh or a restore Settings / update / recover .

Charlie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't search from Start menu - Similar Threads - Can't search Start

2. Searching from the new Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching from the new Start menu: See:I have noticed that the two buttons at the bottom on the task bar on the left menu button and search button.... for me ... these only function on my primary monitor. If I click the same buttons on the seonc monitor they don't behave.Well, I can click the button on the...
  3. Searching from the new Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Searching from the new Start menu: See:I have noticed that the two buttons at the bottom on the task bar on the left menu button and search button.... for me ... these only function on my primary monitor. If I click the same buttons on the seonc monitor they don't behave.Well, I can click the button on the...
  4. Search not starting from start menu

in Cortana
    Search not starting from start menu: Hi,I recently started using my laptop after not using it for a while and the search doesn't seem to be working anymore.Normally to search I hit the windows key and start typing, the search results load in immediately.Now I hit the windows key and start typing, nothing happens...
  5. Can't type in start menu search bar?

in Cortana
    Can't type in start menu search bar?: Today i started facing this issue after i set my system's locale to japan so i could run some software.The language options on the bottom right of the bar disappeared and suddenly I wasn't able to type anything in the search box of the start menu. or the settings. I tried...
  6. i can't search immediately on start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    i can't search immediately on start menu: Hi, in past , when I opened start menu ,I could search among its apps by typing keys on the keyboard. but now , I lost this good ability, and i can't search immediately on start menu , how I can retrieve back this start menu's feature ?...
  7. Can't remove Bing from Start Menu Search

in Cortana
    Can't remove Bing from Start Menu Search: I used to be able to do a registry edit and it would remove Bing search results from start menu searches. Being able to search for files locally on my computer being dependent on Microsoft servers is obnoxious so I want it completely disabled. Have they changed how to do it?...
  8. I can't use Search in Start Menu

in Cortana
    I can't use Search in Start Menu: Hi, When I open Start Menu and start typing something I get the white block. How I can fix that issue? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-use-search-in-start-menu/192fc523-48a4-4654-89b8-e6e9f35c6ebc"
  9. Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?: Either the Windows 10 start menu really sucks or I am using it wrong. I am used to the StartisBack/Windows 7 menu where you can pin anything and all applications will come up in search results. In the Windows 10 menu, I can't pin anything to the start menu that's not already...
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i cant search in the start menu of pc

2. cant search start ment