Windows 10: Can't see folder size in Explorer

Discus and support Can't see folder size in Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So the consensus seems to be that although all previous versions of Windows was able to calculate the total size of files in a folder, Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cornishman, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Can't see folder size in Explorer

So the consensus seems to be that although all previous versions of Windows was able to calculate the total size of files in a folder, Windows 10 can't? This is silly. What computers do more easily than anything else is add up numbers. Yeah, if you have a million files it might take a while. And you'd probably not be surprised if it took a long time. But most of the time, a tree of folder does NOT contain a million files. For me this is just one more of the many failings and annoyances of Windows 10. It seems to be more entertainment than work.

painthacker, Sep 29, 2017
  2. dalchina New Member

Not as a column in file explorer.

Can't see folder size in Explorer [​IMG]

Here you can see XYplorer, which supports that- you can also see computation has not completed.

If Windows routinely did this, file explorer would be very slow to open.
    You can argue that it should at least have the option...

dalchina, Sep 29, 2017
  3. LMiller7 Win User
    Welcome to the forum.

The folder properties will show the disk space consumed. This is the same as in previous versions of Windows. But be aware that this value is only an approximation. This is far more complex than merely adding up a series of numbers. This situation is not unique to Windows. And it really can't be any other way.

Windows Explorer does not show folder sizes in a column as it does for file sizes. This is the same as in previous versions of Windows. I have explained the reasons for this elsewhere in this thread and I will not repeat it here.

LMiller7, Sep 29, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Can't see folder size in Explorer

Mouse hover tips?

Edwin, Sep 29, 2017
  5. huey4321 Win User
    And yet Apple has been doing it since at least os 7, which was released in 1991. If Apple can do it without slowing the system down why can Windows not do the same?

huey4321, Nov 27, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Just as a point of interest, I noted that when I launched XYplorer for the first time, it seemed to do a scan calculating folder sizes (as stated in the status bar) which didn't last long.

Thereafter, whichever partition I viewed, there was no significant delay with respect to folder size. (Under a second at most, on a 1Tb SSHD).

Perhaps there is a parallel there with the way fast indexing search tools like Everything, Ultrasearch and Locate32 use the file system.

dalchina, Nov 29, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Yes, using the MFT instead of churning thru the file system is much faster.

f14tomcat, Nov 29, 2017
  8. jwnoord Win User

Arguing Speed on this is a cop-out. Each node should know what is stored in it. Implementation error. Bad one. Data is likely stored in the File System, the API must have been changed to obfuscate it. Information hiding you know.

jwnoord, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't see folder size in Explorer - Similar Threads - Can't folder size

2. Change Size Explorer Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Size Explorer Folder: Good afternoon. I have the following question, maybe someone knows the answer. I increased the scale of my Windows system and now I have just huge Explorer folders width/height and I would like to make them smaller. Just set the size width and height of the Explorer folder...
  3. Change Size Explorer Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Size Explorer Folder: Good afternoon. I have the following question, maybe someone knows the answer. I increased the scale of my Windows system and now I have just huge Explorer folders width/height and I would like to make them smaller. Just set the size width and height of the Explorer folder...
  4. Can't see hidden folders in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't see hidden folders in Explorer: The option to view hidden Files and Folders in Explorer Options, has both "Don't Show Hidden Files..." and "Show Hidden Files..." unchecked. If I try to check the "Show Hidden Files..." option, and hit the Apply button, I still can't see folders such as AppData and Program...
  5. Can't see hidden folders in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't see hidden folders in Explorer: The option to view hidden Files and Folders in Explorer Options, has both "Don't Show Hidden Files..." and "Show Hidden Files..." unchecked. If I try to check the "Show Hidden Files..." option, and hit the Apply button, I still can't see folders such as AppData and Program...
  6. not able to see folder size in size column

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    not able to see folder size in size column: size column does not show the size of the folder. is there a way? Please fix it if someone from Microsoft reading this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-see-folder-size-in-size-column/2cfbde76-3e20-4e80-bd8d-e89f3a863988
  7. How to see folder file size in Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to see folder file size in Explorer: I somewhat recently switched over from Mac to Windows. One thing I still can't figure out is how to see the file size of a folder in the Explorer window. When I open a window, I see the following tabs: "Name", "Date Modified", "Type", and "Size". For files, "Size" is...
  8. Why can't I see details in some folders in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can't I see details in some folders in file explorer?: in some folders in file explorer, the option to view files in different ways is not in the view tab. What can I do to see file details and sort by modified date?...
  9. Font size in files and folders explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Font size in files and folders explorer: Hello, How can I resize the text in windows explorer - files and folders, the fonts are so small I can hardly see them with my eyeglasses. Please help. Thanks And thanks for all previous answers 48919
  10. Can't see ProgramData folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't see ProgramData folder: The ProgramData folder is not displayed in Explorer. I can search for programs that currently exist in this directory but can't access it. Any clues or how to proceed? 34884